Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As others have alluded to, good BBQ is where you find it. Fortunately that is fairly easy to do in Texas. .And paying for good brisket is a non-issue. You usually get what you pay for, and really good brisket seldom comes on a dinner plate unless it's been done in a back yard.

As for sauce, I will agree with others that brisket needing BBQ sauce is a failure. Enjoy the taste of the brisket itself and don't turn it into something that it's not meant to be. Burnt ends from moist brisket are the best.......

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i use white oak almost exclusively here in PA because i have a bunch of it. 7-8 hours on the smoke at 225-ish and then wrap and finish. i am a heathen though and add a little bbq sauce and a little beef broth in the foil for the finish. it ain't straight texan style but it is damn good.

My diploma is a DD214
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Try some strong, dark roast coffee in the foil.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
I have a smoker and I make some pretty stellar BBQ brisket. As others have stated, it's not the sauce, but the wood you use in your smoker. You should also use a smoker with an offset fire box. I don't particularly like mesquite - tastes a bit like turpentine IMO. The key is to mix yer wood. I generally smoke a brisket for 1 hr./lb., so a 12 lb. brisket will be on the smoker for 12 hrs. (low and slow ~ 220°). I start by rinsing the brisket, patting it dry and then using a dry rub - none of this basting crap - cook the brisket fat-side up and it bastes itself. I then make the fire (do not use lighter fluid of any kind or it will ruin the flavor of the meat) with a mixture of hickory and white oak, but a bit heavier on the hickory. After about 3-4 hrs. or slightly more, when I think a good smoke ring has formed, I'll wrap the brisket in foil throwing in 1-2 quartered jalapenos - I do this because if I leave it unwrapped for any longer, the smoke flavor can become overpowering. After wrapping the brisket - I use straight white oak. Mixing white oak and hickory also limits the power of any one wood. White oak is more benign. Mesquite, pecan, hickory, apple wood, will impart a very strong flavor if it's not tempered with another wood. As an example, a Bud of mine once smoked a brisket for 14 hrs. using only pecan wood. I asked him how it was and he said he schidt pecan fire the entire next day. Since I have no desire to schidt pecan fire, I haven't attempted to recreate the feat.

I have also smoked unwrapped using straight white oak for ~12 hrs, with excellent results. And when I don't feel like tending a fire for 12 hrs., I'll sometimes throw it in the oven (in a large roasting pan), after 4 hrs. of smoking, to finish (at 220°).

I’m not a believer in fat up on brisket, it’s true with pork. I cook fat down to protect the bottom and if I wrap I use paper.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Thanks.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I’m not a believer in fat up on brisket, it’s true with pork. I cook fat down to protect the bottom and if I wrap I use paper.

Since I use a smoker with an offset fire box, I haven't needed to protect the underside of the brisket, and at 220° it never gets over-charred.

I also agree with Cheesy regarding KC BBQ. I'm not a fan of wet BBQ - way too much sauce which has way too much sugar. Properly smoked meat doesn't need sauce or sugar to camouflage improperly smoked meat.

I do use BBQ sauce sparingly, but I use it as a 'garnish' on top of the meat, which limits sugar intake. Also, Stubbs original BBQ sauce is relatively low in sugar and is good.

And beer for worsching it all down is important...

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/18/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is the best smoker I’ve ever used. Holds temp stable easily at 250 on one side and 225 the other, that’s what we were shooting for. The midstream company I worked for at the time bought it and we duplicated it. Reverse flow.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]taking a screen shot

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Since I use a smoker with an offset fire box, I haven't needed to protect the underside of the brisket, and at 220° it never gets over-charred.

I also agree with Cheesy regarding KC BBQ. I'm not a fan of wet BBQ - way too much sauce which has way too much sugar. Properly smoked meat doesn't need sauce or sugar to camouflage improperly smoked meat.

I do use BBQ sauce sparingly, but I use it as a 'garnish' on top of the meat, which limits sugar intake. Also, Stubbs original BBQ sauce is relatively low in sugar and is good.

And beer for worsching it all down is important...

Yes, that’s why I use paper, it’s not wet bark but helps from getting dry as well.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is the best smoker I’ve ever used. Holds temp stable easily at 250 on one side and 225 the other, that’s what we were shooting for. The midstream company I worked for at the time bought it and we duplicated it. Reverse flow.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]taking a screen shot

Nice, little tiny smoker. ^^^ But this is how we do it:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Actually, my Bud has a smoker that's very similar to yours at his ranch. It's huge and excellent, but we hardly every use it b/c it so large and there's not too much call for it.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t need one of those in my backyard, besides I’d have to buy another truck.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I sure hope you're not saying that just b/c it can be built doesn't mean it should be built.

Do you use butcher paper? Maybe I'll try that next time - some smoke probably still gets through the paper, which is good. I use the foil b/c it holds liquid and moisture better than paper would.

- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, some smoke still gets in and it doesn’t hold moisture as well as foil. I should have said that most of the the time I use paper. Some briskets seem to have a mind of their own, if I think it’s going to be dry I’ll use foil.

Yes butcher paper

Last edited by SandBilly; 04/18/21.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Man while I enjoy getting my meat smoked by Sandbilly the burnt ends at Arthur Bryants are hard to beat....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tico
Man while I enjoy getting my meat smoked by Sandbilly the burnt ends at Arthur Bryants are hard to beat....

Look my stalker. For anyone to smoke your meat you’d need to pull it outta your boyfriends ass. Bye kid.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, some smoke still gets in and it doesn’t hold moisture as well as foil. I should have said that most of the the time I use paper. Some briskets seem to have a mind of their own, if I think it’s going to be dry I’ll use foil.

Yes butcher paper

Duly noted. Thx.

- Del Gue
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Tico

Look my stalker. For anyone to smoke your meat you’d need to pull it outta your boyfriends ass. Bye kid.

Id much rather leave in yours....

Seriously though thats a cool smoker....

I started getting into it about a year ago and sure is addictive...

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
18 bucks for a sheet of paper and tiny Styrofoam cups?

There must be some margin in it!

Hence my reply above.

Go find a cheap alternative and let us know how good it is.

I do all the time, a $8 beef fajita plate.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
18 bucks for a sheet of paper and tiny Styrofoam cups?

There must be some margin in it!

Hence my reply above.

Go find a cheap alternative and let us know how good it is.

I do all the time, a $8 beef fajita plate.

YES!!!!

I would just as soon have some good food like that.

BBQ is too expensive for what it is.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
This sits on 290 past Brenham on the way to Austin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 04/18/21.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (2UP, 338reddog, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 16 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.