Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E

Anybody know? The last two boxes I just bought from Grafs&Sons in 260 Rem had small gold stickers on the end flaps. When I removed the sticker, there's a printed circle with text that reads,"Made In USA". Apparently, that's no longer the case. I did a search and can't find country of origin. Anybody know?

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My guess would be

Barnes Bullets
© 2020, Barnes Bullets, LLC.

38 Frontage Rd Mona, UT 84645

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It's made in China!

OK guys, come on. I was just josh'n. God forbid that our ammo production goes over there. RJ

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have no idea where Barnes VOR-TX ammo is produced. I do have a couple of boxes of VOR-TX 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition--which does not say where it was made. The only info on the box says it's copyrighted in 2017 by "Barnes Bullets, LLC. P.O.B. 620, Mona Utah." However, copyright had nothing to do with where it's made. (Interestingly, the small print on the box is both in English and French, perhaps to make it easier to sell in Canada--or at least Quebec. As far as I can ascertain, lead-free bullets are not required there--or in France itself--except perhaps in certain areas.)

Barnes was acquired by Remington in 2009, so we might suspect my ammo was made by Remington--or at the least, Remington supplied the Barnes headstamped brass to be loaded in Utah. But Remington's ammo plant in Lonoke, Arkansas was sold to Vista Outdoors last year--a conglomerate that owns many shooting-product companies, including Alliant Powder, CCI, Speer, Butler Creek, Weaver, etc. The Arkansas ammo plant is now back up and running again, but Barnes Bullets was sold to Sierra Bullets, so is no longer part of Remington.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have no idea where Barnes VOR-TX ammo is produced. I do have a couple of boxes of VOR-TX 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition--which does not say where it was made. The only info on the box says it's copyrighted in 2017 by "Barnes Bullets, LLC. P.O.B. 620, Mona Utah." However, copyright had nothing to do with where it's made. (Interestingly, the small print on the box is both in English and French, perhaps to make it easier to sell in Canada--or at least Quebec. As far as I can ascertain, lead-free bullets are not required there--or in France itself--except perhaps in certain areas.)

Barnes was acquired by Remington in 2009, so we might suspect my ammo was made by Remington--or at the least, Remington supplied the Barnes headstamped brass to be loaded in Utah. But Remington's ammo plant in Lonoke, Arkansas was sold to Vista Outdoors last year--a conglomerate that owns many shooting-product companies, including Alliant Powder, CCI, Speer, Butler Creek, Weaver, etc. The Arkansas ammo plant is now back up and running again, but Barnes Bullets was sold to Sierra Bullets, so is no longer part of Remington.

Kinda reminds me of a shell game, trying to remember what shell the pea is under....

I don't guess it matters as long as it's made somewhere and it's good stuff.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So is Barnes ammo still in production?

Is it going to be made by Remington or Sierra in the future?

Perhaps Mule Deer can find out for us.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Kinda reminds me of a shell game, trying to remember what shell the pea is under....

DF

It matters to me.

1) It used to be made in America, by Americans. Are these people now out of a job?

2) Apparently, now it's imported from somewhere. Hence, the covering of the Made In America printing on the end flap. But where? I like to know what country is receiving the money I spend, and whether or not I want to continue purchasing that product, no matter how well it performs or how well I like it.

3) There's a good possibility, and I'm not saying it is, that it may be made in China. If that was the case and other ammo manufacturers decided to follow suit, ponder that for just a moment. How would you like those Cokksukkers controlling the faucet?

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 04/19/21.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Let's hope not Chicom. And, I would doubt it's made there.

Probably Europe if not USA.

Or South Korea, or Mexico, or......

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sent a request via E-mail to their customer service department asking them where.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Bugger
I sent a request via E-mail to their customer service department asking them where.

Amazing how easy that was instead of instantly making a tin-foil hat because some stickers covered up the country of manufacture.

He went over yonder way
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or maybe too many of the components are sourced outside of USA to legally be termed Made in USA. That's why Leupolds are no longer Made in America.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Or maybe too many of the components are sourced outside of USA to legally be termed Made in USA. That's why Leupolds are no longer Made in America.

Which Leupold is no longer made in USA? Or, more accurately, designed, machined, and assembled in the USA?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Heeler
Originally Posted by Bugger

Amazing how easy that was instead of instantly making a tin-foil hat because some stickers covered up the country of manufacture.

What fun is that? Some people here can't live without their daily conspiracy theory.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Get a hold of yourself. No conspiracy theory implied. I merely asked if anyone knew where they are manufactured. If you don't have the answer or if the question triggered you in some way, I can't help that. Just scroll on by if the post displeases you.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I know the bullets are made in Mona, Utah but not sure about the loaded ammo,
A member of this forum GSSP works there mabey he will chime in

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

Anybody know? The last two boxes I just bought from Grafs&Sons in 260 Rem had small gold stickers on the end flaps. When I removed the sticker, there's a printed circle with text that reads,"Made In USA". Apparently, that's no longer the case. I did a search and can't find country of origin. Anybody know?

Reach out to user GSSP. He's employed by Barnes in Utah.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

It matters to me.

1) It used to be made in America, by Americans. Are these people now out of a job?

2) Apparently, now it's imported from somewhere. Hence, the covering of the Made In America printing on the end flap. But where? I like to know what country is receiving the money I spend, and whether or not I want to continue purchasing that product, no matter how well it performs or how well I like it.

3) There's a good possibility, and I'm not saying it is, that it may be made in China. If that was the case and other ammo manufacturers decided to follow suit, ponder that for just a moment. How would you like those Cokksukkers controlling the faucet?

You're really jumping to conclusions based on a sticker on a box.

Contact Barnes or Remington.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm

Which Leupold is no longer made in USA? Or, more accurately, designed, machined, and assembled in the USA?

Leupold scopes are made in America. There was a Redfield model of scope that was not made in America.

Binoculars, rangefinders and spotting scopes are not made in America, except maybe the Gold Ring spotting scope.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by AB2506

Why would he contact Remington? I plainly stated in my earlier post on this thread that Remington has nothing to do with Barnes--because Remington, as an entire entity, declared bankruptcy in 2019, and the various parts of what used to be Remington were sold at auction in 2020.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Anything sold in Canada anywhere need bilingual labeling.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why would he contact Remington? I plainly stated in my earlier post on this thread that Remington has nothing to do with Barnes--because Remington, as an entire entity, declared bankruptcy in 2019, and the various parts of what used to be Remington were sold at auction in 2020.

Ok ok contact Winchester then gees no need to get all grandpa grumpy on us..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 79S

Why in hell would you want to contact Winchester?
Geez, you post stupid crap and then get offend when called on it

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm

Leupold scopes are made in America. There was a Redfield model of scope that was not made in America.

Binoculars, rangefinders and spotting scopes are not made in America, except maybe the Gold Ring spotting scope.

Made in USA and Assembled in USA have different legal meanings when it comes to selling products. If Leupolds that are labeled Assembled in USA met the requirements for Made in USA, you can be certain it would be stated that way. There's plenty on the Internet to read about the differences between made and assembled. Could be the same thing with Barnes ammo. Or it could be nothing at all but a misplaced sticker.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reply back from Barnes after I sent them an E-mail asking where their bullets are made:

Yes it is all made here in Mona UT.

Thank You

Ryan Farr | Tech Support/Consumer Services Lead
Barnes Bullets

Barnes Bullets disclaims all possible liability for damages including actual, incidental and consequential, resulting from usage of the information or advice contained in this message.
Use the data and advice at your own risk, and with extreme caution.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Always begin loading from the minimum "START” charge and carefully develop loads by increasing in small increments of 2% towards the Maximum load.

38 North Frontage Road, PO Box 620, Mona, UT 84645
Phone 435-856-1000 | Fax 435-856-1040

Last edited by Bugger; 04/20/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sorry to disrupt all your theories and gossip grin

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bugger,

I think most on this thread assumed Barnes bullets are still being made in Utah--and I already knew that.. The OP's question was about where the ammo's made.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is what I sent:

There's a discussion on 24hourcampfire on where your bullets etc. is made. Is it all in Utah?

Thanks

I should have said bullets and ammo rather than bullets etc.

Bugger

I'll send a reply asking ammo in particular.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This time the reply was immediate

In Mona Utah

Thank You

Barnes Bullets

Barnes Bullets disclaims all possible liability for damages including actual, incidental and consequential, resulting from usage of the information or advice contained in this message.
Use the data and advice at your own risk, and with extreme caution.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Always begin loading from the minimum "START” charge and carefully develop loads by increasing in small increments of 2% towards the Maximum load.

38 North Frontage Road, PO Box 620, Mona, UT 84645
Phone 435-856-1000 | Fax 435-856-1040

Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 9:41 AM
To: Ryan Farr <RyanFbarnesbullets.com>
Subject: Re: RE: Manufacturing plant

Thanks Ryan

I guess the question is "where is the ammo made?"

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I emailed and asked specifically about ammo production since that was my original question, not reloading components. Here is the response a just received from Ryan:

Ryan Farr
4:28 PM (7 minutes ago)

to me

Tim
Most of the brass we use is Lapua or Norma and because that is not made in the USA we cannot use the Made in USA.

Thank You

Barnes Bullets

He answered my question simply and satisfactorily, without resorting to calling me a conspiracy theorist.
Thank you for the response Ryan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Apparently NOWHERE these days. Can't find squat!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Bugger,

I think most on this thread assumed Barnes bullets are still being made in Utah--and I already knew that.. The OP's question was about where the ammo's made.

Absolutely correct. Thank you, Mule Deer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S

Why don't you take a piece of your own advice and learn how to read before you throw your sucker in the dirt and stomp off toward home and mommy......................Might keep you from looking like a dumb arse yourself in the future!!

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Lapua? Norma? Schwing!

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I emailed and asked specifically about ammo production since that was my original question, not reloading components. Here is the response a just received from Ryan:

Ryan Farr

to me

Tim
Most of the brass we use is Lapua or Norma and because that is not made in the USA we cannot use the Made in USA.

Thank You

Barnes Bullets

He answered my question simply and satisfactorily, without resorting to calling me a conspiracy theorist.

Just like I said, and what a few had trouble comprehending. Could be the powder they use too.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You guys crack me up. Not made in America bad. Unless it’s Lapua or Norma? Why don’t you demand they use made in America WW or RP? Oh right. Because it’s garbage. :-)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yaddio
Lapua? Norma? Schwing!

I've only had their .223 and .243 ammo so can't speak extensively, but neither of those looked like Lapua.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What does Lapua look like?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Ryan Farr

to me

Tim

Thank You

Barnes Bullets

The son of a good friend of mine works at Barnes in Utah. As of this fall he mentioned the ammo production was in the Utah plant, but I do recall him mentioning a few years back that some of the ammo was being made elsewhere, but maybe that has changed. He also mentioned that the ammo couldn't be labeled "Made In The USA" because some components came from foreign suppliers. I just assumed it was the powder they were using that was made outside the US but apparently the brass is too.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
You guys crack me up. Not made in America bad. Unless it’s Lapua or Norma? Why don’t you demand they use made in America WW or RP? Oh right. Because it’s garbage. :-)

More to the point, Not Made In China...........

Although I would prefer all handloading components and ammo be made in the USA, I don't have a problem with the Swedes and Scandinavians as suppliers.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Did you seriously think it was made in China?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Swedes aren't Scandinavians? :-)

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

In the cartridges I've seen, this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Note the ring around the primer pocket. No, they're not mine.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

In English usage, Scandinavia can refer to Denmark, Norway and Sweden, sometimes more narrowly to the Scandinavian Peninsula, or more broadly to include the Åland Islands, the Faroe Islands, Finland and Iceland.

I don't know how much I trust the intellectuals at Wikipedia

Good luck and shoot straight y'all .

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

In the cartridges I've seen, this:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Note the ring around the primer pocket. No, they're not mine.

That ring is a crimp. Ran across some Hornady 308 match brass that has the same.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, it's not a crimp. Comes right out of the box as components with it. Do I need to go take a picture?

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 04/20/21.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wikepedia aside, Scandinavia is indeed considered a region, due to the similarity of languages in Denmark, Norway and Sweden, and many other cultural similarities Plus, Norway and Sweden have a long history of connections, including being ruled by one king not all that long ago--and 500 years ago Denmark, Norway and Sweden were all ruled by one king.

Norway and Sweden also co-developed the 6.5x55 "Swedish," but used the cartridge in different rifles, the Swedes various Mausers (the reason it's often called the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser cartridge) and the Norwegians the Krag-Jorgensen, developed in Norway. Though (perhaps not so oddly) the first country adopt the Krag-Jorgensen rifle as their military rifle was Denmark--and the last was Norway--after the U.S. adopted "the Krag" in the early 1890s.

Finland does not share the same basic language as the other Scandinavian countries, though it does essentially form another "wing" of the Norway/Sweden peninsula. Iceland was primarily settled by Norwegians, after originally being settled by Gaelics, so it's cultural and language roots are primarily Norwegian..

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

who got Lefever?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No, it's not a crimp. Comes right out of the box as components with it. Do I need to go take a picture?

The picture you took was not of a "component." The picture you took appeared to me to be fired factory rounds.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Craigster

The picture you took was not of a "component." The picture you took appeared to me to be fired factory rounds.

Duh

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

lol.....Correct, which is why I made the distinction of Swedes AND Scandinavians.......

At least, the Swedes I know don't consider themselves Scandinavians. Preferring to make a distinction between themselves and the other Scandinavian countries. At least, that was the case with two Swedes when I made the comment including Sweden with Scandinavia.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 04/20/21.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

lol.....Correct, which is why I made the distinction of Swedes AND Scandinavians.......

At least, the Swedes I know don't consider themselves Scandinavians. Preferring to make a distinction between themselves and the other Scandinavian countries. At least, that was the case with two Swedes when I made the comment including Sweden with Scandinavia.

Finns aren't Scandinavians but Swedes sure are.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jwp475

Duh

Are you addressing me ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I cant say for certainty who makes Barnes ammo, but their brass certainly isnt Remington. In 300 Ultra barnes cases have drastically different weights than Rem cases.

Last edited by BWalker; 04/20/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Duh

In your opinions, is this ring any different?
[Linked Image]

And regardless whether it is or not, my point was that the Lapua brass I've seen has had a ring in the primer pockets whereas Barnes brass hasn't.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

You must be a real ph ucking hoot at Parties pull that stick out of your ass and get a sense of humor retard... only idiot posting stupid chit is you..

Last edited by 79S; 04/21/21.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Originally Posted by 79S

Why don't you take a piece of your own advice and learn how to read before you throw your sucker in the dirt and stomp off toward home and mommy......................Might keep you from looking like a dumb arse yourself in the future!!

Look another retard is on the scene.. go shove some more nickels in the gumball machine retard..

Last edited by 79S; 04/21/21.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

You must be a real ph ucking hoot at Parties pull that stick out of your ass and get a sense of humor retard... only idiot posting stupid chit is you..

You are a certified idiot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Finland does not share the same basic language as the other Scandinavian countries..

^^^Truth^^^

My Tikka doesn't go "Bang!", it goes "Pamaus!" with an slight Italian accent :-)

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yes, I work at Barnes Bullets as a Ballistic Lab Tech. Ryan Farr works just up the stairs in CS. He and Chase are super good guys and know their stuff. All current Barnes Ammo is made at our facility in Mona, Utah. When owned by Remington, some of our ammo was made at the Lonoke, AR factory, now owned by Vista/Federal with the balance being made here, in Utah.

Sorry for the late reply. 12 hour graveyard shifts kind of take it out this old guy.

Last edited by GSSP; 04/21/21.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Finns aren't Scandinavians but Swedes sure are.

Maybe it's the current politics of Sweden they were referring to.......

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.