Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am in the market to buy a low fix powered scope - 1x, 2.5x or 3x.

Priorities in order:
1.Never ever Chinese!
2.Must be able to stand high recoil - I'll be shooting this quite a bit
3.Long eye relief
4. I desire a post, rather than duplex or other cross hair style on this scope.
5. Good glass
6. prefer under $300, but not necessary
7. prefer warranty
8. prefer 2.5x or 3x over 1x

I'm not concerned with weight.

I've found an El Paso Weaver scope at 2.5x with post for sale...

I have a 2.5x Scope Chief sitting around that I could use but it has a plain crosshair.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Bugger; 04/18/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
good luck for the price:

leupold m8 or fxII big bore 3x and ultralight 2.5x but i do not know if you will find those for the price you re looking for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by yukonphil
good luck for the price:

leupold m8 or fxII big bore 3x and ultralight 2.5x but i do not know if you will find those for the price you re looking for.

Phil is on target. There's a few around but most are in my safe and not for sale.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought that 2.5x Weaver with post and another here on 24 w.o. a post.

I'd rather have a M8 than a FX. I don't remember seeing a M8 in 2.5x. I have a few M8 scopes, I've not had a problem with any. I have had problems with the VX series scopes. But not any Vari x scopes. I like having a warranty, but if a scope fails when I'm hunting -- well lets just say that there has been a lot more hunting trips in my past than there will be in my future. I don't want to waste a one. I bring along a spare rifle with a scope and have since early days. Having a scope fail at the wrong time is more than disappointing.

I've now gone to quick release mounts and carry a sighted in scope in my back pack on some hunts.

The $300 limit is a soft limit: it's low on the priority scale.

Are there any European scopes that fit the requirements 1 thru 5?

Last edited by Bugger; 04/18/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have collection of Fixed Power 2.5's and hands down by a large margin, the Leupold M8 Compact in 2.5 power is the leader in this category. Not only is it bright for its size, it is super light. I got mine with a German #4 reticle. There is nothing better in this category including Euro and crapola Communist Chinese made scopes. The Europeans have given this class of scopes to Leupold.

This is the only Leupold scope I own and it will remain that way unless I find another one like this one for sale.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 04/18/21.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The “Hands down winner” was the last version of the Weaver K2.5 before they discontinued. Better than the Leupold 3x or 2.5.

The Leupold 2.5x is about the only available. The great thing about the scope is, the more you use it, the more you like it. Just put the critter in the crosshairs and pull the trigger. Clear your mind of all other scope stuff and do it !

I’ll say without hesitation these 2.5x scopes are for some supernatural reason accurate as heck. I’ve went from groups to one hole on some rifles just by switching to the fixed.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/18/21.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If only they weren't standard with the wide duplex.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The Redfield 2 3/4 widefield is not quite as bright and light as the Leupold 2.5, but it may be the better scope of the two for hunting with its massive field of view.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Does Leupold not still make their custom shop FX2 3x20 big bore? I don't see it on their site.

I have two 2.5X20 Leupold Ultralights that have withstood recoil and being bumped around on both a .450 Marlin and a .375 H&H, but I haven't used them enough yet to really be confident enough to endorse them.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I was doing some research on this recently. I ended up buying the Leupold 2.5X Ultralite to install on a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39.

Old Weaver? I remember 35 years ago putting a 4X Weaver on the wife's deer rifle (100 Winchester 308). I then had her shooting up several 257 Roberts AI fire form loads to get in some trigger time before deer season. The 257 had a new 2.5 - 10 VX3 Leupold on it. The wife informed me that she wanted a Scope like the one on the 257 that she could see through on HER deer rifle. I got rid of the 100 Winchester before something broke on it that could not be fixed, and got her a Browning BBR with a 2.5-10 VX3. She still shoots the 270 BBR.
The point is I would skip the old Weaver and get something with better modern glass.

Bob R

Last edited by Viper225; 05/01/21.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Even more than the glass, I’d fret over old seals, and from personal experience the ring on the end of the ocular, which cracked on one I had. My FX II has been on a few things, and also back to Leupold when some dummy (that would be me, as Bob Newhart used to say) didn’t make sure the crank for his crossbow was firmly anchored and it crashed into the eyepiece.😱

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
The “Hands down winner” was the last version of the Weaver K2.5 before they discontinued. Better than the Leupold 3x or 2.5.

The Leupold 2.5x is about the only available. The great thing about the scope is, the more you use it, the more you like it. Just put the critter in the crosshairs and pull the trigger. Clear your mind of all other scope stuff and do it !

I’ll say without hesitation these 2.5x scopes are for some supernatural reason accurate as heck. I’ve went from groups to one hole on some rifles just by switching to the fixed.

Not sure by what measure the last Weaver 2.5 was better than the Leupold 2.5 or 3X, but certainly not in the eye relief, weight of compactness department. Glass might have been slightly better, but they were roughly equal from my experience. Not knocking the Weaver mind you.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My vote also goes to the Leupold 2.5x scope. I see nothing wrong with a 4x Leupold or Weaver, although the O.P. said he didn't want more than 3x max.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Or you could break away from the "fixed" version and go low power variable like I did with a Leupold 1.5X5 and just treat it like a fixed scope.

I put that scope on my 760 Carbine in 1980 and after initial sight it, I have never taken it off of 1.5 power. To be honest, I really don't even know if the power ring turns, been a long long time since I tried turning it.

And if you find a reasonably priced Weaver fixed power you like and are worried about the seals, you could always have Iron Site rebuild/reseal the scope, and for an additional $15, they will change the reticle to a Post & Crosshair. They are currently doing that for me on an old school Denver Redfield Lo Pro Widefield 2X7. I believe the price was $95 to rebuild/reseal the scope and $15 for the Post & Crosshair.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Don't rule out 4x. I've got several mfrs on various shotguns (Nikon, Burris, Redfield). All have withstood many years of slug punishment.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,620
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.