Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Any tips/advice on what to bring (aside from guns/ammo) and set-up/display advice to attract interested buyers?? I haven't even attended a gun show since the 1990's

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
a gut, witty tshirt, surly attitude and unreasonably priced goods.

if you're bald, wear a bad rug under an NRA hat.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jerky, spices and be sure you have a loud taser or two and spark it from time to time.
Bonus points if you have gawdy purses as well

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
You probably know waaaaaasy too much about firearms to be a real gun show vendor.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Some rusty Case knives would be nice. 120 dollars apiece sounds like a fair asking price. A broken blade or missing scale will not detract from their value.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty girl

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of patience. Plenty of tire kicking. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I do plan to put out a piece of paper "Cash only. Exact change only." I'm not there to be a banker, I'll tell somebody to go buy a hot-dog if need be to get proper change.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Damn your a tough one gonhuntinโ€™ ! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
laugh

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Donโ€™t forget the suspenders and big gut. And practice sitting on your azz all day and being out of breath.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Don't know if it's Market Hall, Big Town or Will Rogers but get there early on the day before to sign in and set up. I have worked shows at market Hall and Will Rogers in the past. Cover your table with a sheet. That will avoid the big crowd on Saturday morning. At show opening you'll be ready to sit down and take it easy. It would be nice to have someone to spell you while your there a couple of times so you can go look around or get food, etc. Just make your wares as presentable as possible. You're not going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Be honest with people and price your stuff well.

I haven't been to a show in a few years but a fellow told me that things are crazy now and prices are high. He says people will fight over some stuff. AR's and shotguns. With the current administration I believe it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll be at Big Town in Mesquite. The lady I booked a table with this afternoon said bring more ammo than I plan for, she said that's the biggest seller. She said a lot of vendors at Dallas Market Hall this weekend sold out of all their inventory and didn't have anything for next weekend in Mesquite, so that's how I got a table (I was on a waiting list for two weeks). I don't have a lot, so I'll just go super early Saturday morning and use one of their carts to run it all inside in just one trip. Too far for me to go setup on Friday and come back Saturday.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A counterfeit marker. I always check large sums of money from strangers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Make a sign that says "Please ask permission before handling guns!"

Watch your table at all times.

If you need to go pee, have someone fill in for you.

Molษ”ฬ€หn Labรฉ Skรฝla!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
2 wheel dolly or a pull wagon with pneumatic tires and tubs tote you ammunition to and from. If someone asks to borrow it get a deposit and then refund it when they bring it back. Cash is king but if I was in the gun and ammunition sales I would take credit cards also just price accordingly because your going to lose 3 to 5%.

Last edited by MadDog4298; 04/18/21.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MARCEL
A counterfeit marker. I always check large sums of money from strangers.

Yes, thank you for the reminder!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadDog4298
2 wheel dolly or a pull wagon with pneumatic tires and tubs tote you ammunition to and from. If someone asks to borrow it get a deposit and then refund it when they bring it back. Cash is king but if I was in the gun and ammunition sales I would take credit cards also just price accordingly because your going to lose 3 to 5%.

I've got a 2 wheel dolly and some tubs, thanks for the suggestion. I can't really justify taking credit cards and the setup for that, this is a one-time event for me.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Make a sign that says "Please ask permission before handling guns!"

Yes, thanks, I'll do that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had tables several times over the years at various gun shows so have a bit of experience. I strongly suggest that as a first time vendor, you take a nice, soft pillow to sit on. Those chairs are hard and no fun to sit on all day. wink

Have some cover for the table on which to put your goods, and another cover to cover your stuff for the night.

Introduce yourself to the vendors on each side of your table. Being friendly with them means when you have to go to the restroom or snack bar, you can ask them to keep an eye on your table while you're away. They might in turn, ask you the same favor.

Be prepared for many "lookyloos," who either try to really low ball you on the price on some gun or ammo. Also know that you'll hear a lot of "Well, I'll walk the show and be back for that _______," or "I'll think about it." Ninety nine times of a hundred, that dude ain't comin' back. On the other hand, on rare occasions one will. Or, be careful that two thieves working together will try and distract you while the other thief puts something in his pack, pocket, etc., and walks away before you notice it is gone.

Know previously before the show what you'll take for each item on your table, as people "dicker" for a price.

Take plenty of cash. I never take checks or credit cards. I always take plenty of $20s, $10s, $5s, ten $1s, and maybe a couple of $50s, to make change. Usually, most venues have ATM machines.

Make sure the person who wants one of your firearms is a resident of your State before selling him/her a gun.

Ordinarily I bring a small ice chest with a soft drink, water bottle, and sandwich. This last show, however, my partner's wife brought us a 'burger for lunch. Mighty tasty after having sat there for five hours dealing with people.

After the show closes each day, watch your surroundings as you walk to your vehicle in the parking lot. It is not impossible for some thug(s) to seriously want what's in your pocket. They know that lots of cash is carried by the vendors.

Other than that, enjoy yourself ... and be sure to take a couple of Beanie Babies, some rancid jerky, and a bit of China made jewelry home for wife and daughter. They'll really appreciate it! grin

L.W.

EDIT: The suggestion to take a dolly or cart to carry your goods is an excellent one.

Last edited by Leanwolf; 04/18/21.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

76 members (160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 1,025 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,490
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.