24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never owned one - went the DA Smith route but have always wanted a 5-6” Blackhawk in .44 Mag

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by Scott F
Ruger Single-Six Convertible. Worked all summer and it was my payment. I was 12. That was 60 years ago. It is in my gun safe now.
Nice to see you post Scott. Hope y'all are well.

Thanks. I am as well as an old fart can get. Retirement is way under rated.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hey, Scott. Still keep chickens?

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
44 mag super Blackhawk 7.5"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Ruger Bearcat that I couldn't hit near anything with. I really wanted a Convertible Single-Six, but couldn't afford one at the time. I sold that Bearcat to a kid in the dorm at a $5.00 loss and good riddance. My first and last ever cowboy style handgun.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My first was a Herters .44 magnum with, I think it was a 6 1/2" barrel. Loved that gun. Got it when I was 17 (1983) from a friend of the family for $90 including a holster and a Lee loader kit with no instructions. My only other gun at the time, a bolt action 16 gauge broke soon after, and since Ohio was a shotguns and muzzleloader only firearm state for deer hunting, I reluctantly had to sell it to buy a shotgun. The next year, they legalized handguns for deer.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Remington40x
Ruger Bisley 7-1/2 inch in .41 Magnum. Owned it a long time, then sold it, then bought another, which I also sold after finding a Freedom Arms Model 97 6 inch in .41 Magnum.

Thought I'd be the only one.

About fifteen years ago, at age fifty, I came on here and asked for advice about choosing my first handgun.

A couple of buddies had Blackhawks in 357, another a Taurus 92C in 9mm, another a Virginia Dragoon in 44 mag, and an Uncle had a Colt Trooper III. (I think it was a III)

Anyway, I knew I wanted more than a 357, and something a little less usual. Nor did I need everything the 44 mag had to offer. And I wanted target capability, targets which would satisfy a life long rifle enthusiast.

I was considering an EEA Witness in 10mm or a 41 mag revolver. The guys here, Bob, 41 Keith (RIP), P Weed and a few others, guided me toward a Ruger in 41. Of course there were those who told me I HAD to purchase a 22 rimfire. That only an idiot would buy a magnum for his first handgun.

I think it was Bob who sent me a link to a guy with five Davidson's Ruger bisley Hunter revolvers in 41 mag. Buy it now $500. I sent him the money for one and purchased a Nikon 2x20 to go in the Ruger rings. 500 cases, a couple pounds of H110, a pound of Unique, 500 Berry's 210 gr bullets, a couple hundred Sierra 170s and a couple hundred 210 gr XTPs got me through the next six months.

Then Bob came out to Idaho and explained that Handguns were not meant to be shot like a short barreled rifle. Thus I started a search for a DA Smith in 41.

That first 6 inch Smith is gone now. Replaced by my pride and joy, a Smith Mountain Gun in 41. Also joining it in the stable are a bunch more Ruger SA and DA in 327 and a Taurus Titanium in 41 for carry. And I did finally get that 22 about a year ago, a Bisley Single Six five inch.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RGK
Colt SAA in .45 in 1979. Purchased in a pawn shop on Yadkin Rd outside FT Bragg. Also got a nice K22. Used my outprocessing check; I had just enough money for gas to get home. Bought several more guns from this pawn shop on another tour several years later.
Bob

Still have the Colt? What year was it made? Pictures?

Just a run of the mill 3rd gen Colt. I had Colt fit the ivories (with nickle medallions) when I lived in CT.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My first 5 handguns were all single actions.

1st was a Colt 1851 cap and ball. My 2nd handgun was a 1st gen Colt SAA in 45 Colt, (which I had to re-build from the frame out) and my 3rd handgun was a Colt New Frontier 22. My 4th was a Ruger Old Army cap and ball, my 5th was a Ruger Super Blackhawk. My 1st DA revolver was my 6th handgun, a S&W M29 with an 8-3/8" barrel

Last edited by szihn; 04/18/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad said I couldn't have a pistol until I was 18. After my folks divorced my mom kept to that, but somehow I convinced both of them that a cap and ball was safer. They agreed and my "Uncle Bill" the man who took me under his wing, helped me pick out and taught me to use a .36 caliber 1851 style. Someone had inlaid a walnut diamond into the maple grips. He helped me file the sights to point of aim and impact and that was my first. I was 13 years old. Once my folks learned it was no safer than a cartridge gun, the flood gates opened. A Hawes .22 and a Ruger Blackhawk. 357. By my 16th birthday I had a Rugrr Vaquero in 45 colt

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by RGK
Colt SAA in .45 in 1979. Purchased in a pawn shop on Yadkin Rd outside FT Bragg. Also got a nice K22. Used my outprocessing check; I had just enough money for gas to get home. Bought several more guns from this pawn shop on another tour several years later.
Bob

Just a run of the mill 3rd gen Colt. I had Colt fit the ivories (with nickle medallions) when I lived in CT.
Bob

Very nice. Thanks for the picture. Is the cylinder bushing removable?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bushwacker
My dad said I couldn't have a pistol until I was 18. After my folks divorced my mom kept to that, but somehow I convinced both of them that a cap and ball was safer. They agreed and my "Uncle Bill" the man who took me under his wing, helped me pick out and taught me to use a .36 caliber 1851 style. Someone had inlaid a walnut diamond into the maple grips. He helped me file the sights to point of aim and impact and that was my first. I was 13 years old. Once my folks learned it was no safer than a cartridge gun, the flood gates opened. A Hawes .22 and a Ruger Blackhawk. 357. By my 16th birthday I had a Rugrr Vaquero in 45 colt

Nice trick. Parents can be so gullible, LOL. I was told I could only have guns chambered in .22, so I convinced my folks that a Mini-14 was .22 caliber, which it was. grin

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Bob

Very nice. Thanks for the picture. Is the cylinder bushing removable?

No on the removable bushing. It's an early 3rd gen. Nice case work, fit/finish and it shoots to POA. I'm happy. Colt smoothed up the action and got it to shoot to POA for free when it was in the custom shop having the stocks fitted. Colt used to do that kind of stuff.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 04/19/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Purchased 1975.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK

No on the removable bushing. It's an early 3rd gen. Nice case work, fit/finish and it shoots to POA. I'm happy. Colt smoothed up the action and got it to shoot to POA for free when it was in the custom shop having the stocks fitted. Colt used to do that kind of stuff.
Bob

Nice.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by roundoak

Is that a New Vaquero? Very nice.

Single-Six 22 LR 1957-58.

Wow! Didn't know they made them without adjustable sights.

The Single Six is fixed sights.
The Super Single Six has adjustable sights.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Single six convertible bought from my high school physics teacher in 1968 (at school) for $69. Those 22 magnum loads are tough on the ears. I still have it.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye

Is that a New Vaquero? Very nice.

Single-Six 22 LR 1957-58.

Wow! Didn't know they made them without adjustable sights.

The Single Six is fixed sights.
The Super Single Six has adjustable sights.

That's interesting, I did not know the later ones were called "Super".

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My first was a Ruger Bearcat. My dad gave it to me for Christmas in 1959 or 60. It was a great little gun and I shot a lot of tin cans and shot at a lot of prairie dogs but don't recall ever hitting one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a run of the mill Ruger Single Six Convertible but it’s still one of my guns that gets shot more than most. There’s a fun factor to single action revolvers for sure.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
254 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,712 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.