Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Ol' Mick looks like a early version of Joel....

FJB & FJT
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
1 Thessalonians 5:12

“And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;”

This is why I never bother giving a second of my time to people like Osteen. I have no way of knowing him. I can know my own pastor, watch how he lives and interacts with people. On that I can build my case as to what he is. Not the case with someone I'll never meet.

The Bible also teaches not to be a stumbling block to others. His lavish lifestyle does exactly that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crusader
Like some of the previous posters in this thread have mentioned, sometimes I wonder about the message he preaches, how it's sort of soft and feel-good. But also as some have said, he probably reaches people that may not have otherwise heard the gospel and they are ministered to.
Traditional Christian ‘religion’ is clearly a turnoff for millions of people in this country. It’s not that they don’t believe, it’s that what they’ve seen and experienced with it is so unattractive to them. They’re unaffiliated. I’ve never met anyone who walked away from it because of something that had anything to do with Jesus. I’ve met people who walked away from it for all kinds of reasons. But I’ve never met anyone who walked away from it because of something that had anything to do with Jesus. With over 50,000 weekly attendees, and many millions more who view online or on TV (and read his books), he’s clearly reaching a lotta people with his message. Outside of the theology of the prosperity gospel, if his message is doing them some good, and it’s making their lives better, and it’s motivating them to get cleaned up and go to work and become productive and take care of their families and become better people, etc...., then so be it. If someone chooses to go to a life coach, I’m OK with it.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It's a message that lots of people "want" to hear, but big numbers doesn't make his message right. Sunday Night Football gets big numbers as well.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The problem I have with Osteen is that he's leading most of his congregation to hell.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
It's a message that lots of people "want" to hear, but big numbers doesn't make his message right. Sunday Night Football gets big numbers as well.
”Sunday Night Football” likely doesn’t do people some good on the inside, and it likely doesn’t motivate them to make their lives better...and to get cleaned up and go to work and become productive and take care of their families and become better people, etc....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by slumlord
Have you noticed he preaches with his eyes closed, every now and then he peeks just to see if anyone is still sitting there listening to his bull shît.
They hold services in the building that used to be the home of the Houston Rockets. They spent about a hundred million dollars renovating the building into their church home. He’s pretty popular down there. They have about 6 services a week and average over 50,000 worshippers/attendees a week. I’ve tried to watch the guy, but he just doesn’t do it for me. Same with trying to read one of his books. It just ain’t there, for me. But he clearly does something good for many, many thousands of people on a regular basis. I’ve seen his house in the River Oaks section of Houston. It’s pretty flippin’ nice.

Any "Church" that has $ 100 million needs to reassess their mission if all that was spent on renovating a building.

$90 mil of it might have had a higher purpose helping others and if you can't build a nice enough "House of Worship" for $10 mil, perhaps it's not a "House of Worship" but a measure of one's grandiosity.

And folks wonder why some of us choose to worship outdoors, in the mountains, forests, prairies and waterways.

Sheesh, hold into the feathering of thy nests.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
”Sunday Night Football” likely doesn’t do people some good on the inside, and it likely doesn’t motivate them to make their lives better...and to get cleaned up and go to work and become productive and take care of their families and become better people, etc....

Good works won't get you anywhere.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
...some of us choose to worship outdoors, in the mountains, forests, prairies and waterways.
I’m one of em’. My church is high in the mountains, and other wild country. And it doesn’t have a ceiling. I go all the time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, I've seen your pics.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree that they don’t get one into an eternity with God. But the above things most definitely makes one’s life ‘here’ better, and they also make one’s loved ones lives better too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree that they don’t get one into an eternity with God. But the above things most definitely makes one’s life ‘here’ better, and they also make one’s loved ones lives better too.

It does make one "better", but should be to glorify God, not self which is usually what happens.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If someone wants/needs to go to a life coach, or a marriage counselor, or a therapist, or a doctor, or whoever else in order to make themselves healthier in body, mind, and spirit...then so be it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you noticed he preaches with his eyes closed, every now and then he peeks just to see if anyone is still sitting there listening to his bull shît.
They hold services in the building that used to be the home of the Houston Rockets. They spent about a hundred million dollars renovating the building into their church home. He’s pretty popular down there. They have about 6 services a week and average over 50,000 worshippers/attendees a week. I’ve tried to watch the guy, but he just doesn’t do it for me. Same with trying to read one of his books. It just ain’t there, for me. But he clearly does something good for many, many thousands of people on a regular basis. I’ve seen his house in the River Oaks section of Houston. It’s pretty flippin’ nice.

Any "Church" that has $ 100 million needs to reassess their mission if all that was spent on renovating a building.

$90 mil of it might have had a higher purpose helping others and if you can't build a nice enough "House of Worship" for $10 mil, perhaps it's not a "House of Worship" but a measure of one's grandiosity.

And folks wonder why some of us choose to worship outdoors, in the mountains, forests, prairies and waterways.

Down here in the dirty south,

You don’t have a church til you have a “family life center” aka a gym.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Down here in the dirty south,

You don’t have a church til you have a “family life center” aka a gym.

$10 Million would buy a really nice house of worship and a big friggen family life center for sure.

I'm still of the opinion that $100 mil is an outrageous misuse of "offerings" for the Church.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree.

What happens to tent revivals?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I'm left wondering what "love your neighbor as yourself" looks like without works.

Politics is War by Other Means
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What a phony.Reminds me of Jim and Tammy Baker.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I agree.

What happens to tent revivals?

Don't know,haven't seen many lately.

That Copeland video JeffP posted up there got me to thinking. Seems he needs a private plane to do the Lord's work.

I wonder if Jesus used a private donkey to do his Father's work?

In it is contentment

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
He does not preach from scripture. Not a bible based sermon. He is pretty much a prosperity preacher but well hidden.

"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's. clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."

More like false "profits".

Prosperity theology is a heretical doctrine.

Naw. The prophet’s profits are real.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (2500HD, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,085
Posts18,463,914
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.