Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by Higginez
Now if we could just get the manufacturers to start offering "trays" (flatbeds) like they do in Australia and get rid of the stupid truck bed entirely....

I'm totally on board with that Higgi. For work, I generally found myself towing a dual axle trailer, and not using the bed. For fun, I'd prefer the organization and convenience of an Aussie-type tray/canopy. Not sure how popular that would be here though.

The standard truck bed really isn't the most efficient use of space for my needs. Unless hauling chicken manure, lumber, or misc. other crap on the weekend. Especially stuff that is easily unloaded from the rear of the truck. When it comes to hauling gear, then it makes a lot of sense to access it from the the sides as needed.

Aussie trays, service bodies, and stake bodies seem to make more sense if they meet the user's needs.

Truck beds are rather awkward to build a skid for that's for certain.

I've kinda settled on ARE commercial shells for my trucks as they hide the sprayer and containers from the snowflakes.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I was thinking about downsizing from my 2008 Tundra with 115,000 miles, and I drove a Ranger last week. I was impressed by it. Then I looked at the Consumer Reports auto issue and another Consumer Reports best and worst cars book. All I see is a sea of red dots for Fords generally and green dots for Toyotas generally. The 2019 Ranger had bad numbers. The 2020 was better. The prediction for the 2021 was below average.

I got into a Tacoma recently and hit my head getting into it. I am only 5'10". They are outrageously expensive for the size. The gas mileage looks pretty bad for a little truck.

In the end I decided that I have more faith in my Tundra for 2-3 years than the Ranger. The Tundra has been great except for routine maintenance, brakes, and a water pump at 85,000.

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 240k on my 08 tundra.

Put a new transmission in it last fall. That's been about it. I drive the piss out of it. Just got back from a 4 day ~2500 mile work trip to Washington, Oregon and then back home.

Your Tundra has years if not a decade of life left in it the way it appears you drive. I would stick with it.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No offense to anyone on here, but I am amazed at people who are looking at purchasing brand new vehicles at what they cost these days, to concern themselves with fuel economy or whine about gas mileage.

Reality is, when you are spending $30k on a little truck or $80k on a full-sized truck, pissing and moaning about fuel economy is nonsense.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarkio
I was thinking about downsizing from my 2008 Tundra with 115,000 miles, and I drove a Ranger last week. I was impressed by it. Then I looked at the Consumer Reports auto issue and another Consumer Reports best and worst cars book. All I see is a sea of red dots for Fords generally and green dots for Toyotas generally. The 2019 Ranger had bad numbers. The 2020 was better. The prediction for the 2021 was below average.

I got into a Tacoma recently and hit my head getting into it. I am only 5'10". They are outrageously expensive for the size. The gas mileage looks pretty bad for a little truck.

In the end I decided that I have more faith in my Tundra for 2-3 years than the Ranger. The Tundra has been great except for routine maintenance, brakes, and a water pump at 85,000.

Put a new transmission in it last fall. That's been about it. I drive the piss out of it. Just got back from a 4 day ~2500 mile work trip to Washington, Oregon and then back home.

Your Tundra has years if not a decade of life left in it the way it appears you drive. I would stick with it.

Thanks for the insight. This is the longest I have kept a vehicle. I am fortunate that my recreation area is not too far from home and that I do not drive it for work.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd rather buy an Tacoma with a 100K on it than a brand new Ford or Chevy.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Thanks for the insight. This is the longest I have kept a vehicle. I am fortunate that my recreation area is not too far from home and that I do not drive it for work.

Before my tundra, I had a Nissan Titan. Both these vehicles I personally put about 150-170k miles on. I buy pickups used for mid-teens $. And drive them until they are pretty much done. My Nissan I literally drove it until the wheel came off. Bad axle broke, luckily just as I got home from a 3K mile roadtrip.

Most any vehicle with mileage in the low 100's should be good for another 100k if it has been reasonably well cared for to this point.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Tarkio; 04/16/21.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
No offense to anyone on here, but I am amazed at people who are looking at purchasing brand new vehicles at what they cost these days, to concern themselves with fuel economy or whine about gas mileage.

Reality is, when you are spending $30k on a little truck or $80k on a full-sized truck, pissing and moaning about fuel economy is nonsense.

I totally agree with your point. And to add to that sentiment, most trucks in a particular class weigh about the same, the engines have similar efficiency, and they have similar drivetrains (and efficiency). Guess what? There isn't really much difference from one make/model, in terms of real world MPG assuming that they are using the same type of design (i.e. can't compare hybrid to a non-hybrid) or technology (vintage is important here). Under the same use conditions.

Anyway, the similarities show with the owner submitted data on Fuelly. Of course, assuming that it is honest data which I really don't have a reason to doubt on the whole.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I disagree. With gas prices above $4.00 here, it makes a ton of sense to want to keep costs down and that fuel bill just keeps coming at you. Every little bit helps when you're biting off a $1,000+ month payment and registration fees to boot.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Definitely depends on the individual.

That said, in my mind, if a couple MPG is a deal breaker then buying a $30-40K+ vehicle would probably not be in my best interest financially. Checking Fuelly, it looks the Ranger model gets roughly 20 MPG for mixed driving. The Tacoma model roughly18 MPG. Let's just assume that they are for similar configurations, or just accept the data for what it is which is a representation of what is purchased and voluntarily reported on.

That 2 MPG difference, for 15k miles in one year, means that the Tacoma needs 83 more gallons of gas than the Ranger. At $4/gallon, that is $333 extra to drive a Tacoma. That is over one year, or $28 per month. If I spend $30K+ on a truck, and $28 breaks the bank for one month, it tells me that I shouldn't be buying a new truck.

The trap is to get caught up in highway MPG, or some anecdotal reports on high fuel efficiency. I like the user reported data from Fuelly but we still need to realize the limitations. That said, there are hundreds of thousands and sometime millions of miles being reporting. I think the BS gets filtered, unlike a friend/relative/co-worker who claims some ridiculous fuel mileage that can simply be an outlier in the distribution of data.

I am also somewhat biased, as I paid cash for my most recent vehicles but can sympathize with payments. For me, I no longer own motorcycles, and don't have a boat, travel trailer, vacation home, etc. So a little extra gasoline for one rig is no sweat. Even if it were double or triple the $28 per month.

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/18/21.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Check my math though, as I could be completely wrong.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Can I borrow $333? wink

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Buy a used truck and save thousands!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Have you looked at the price of used Tacoma 4X4s ?

You could probably save a bundle on a used Ranger.
There is a reason for that.

MOLON LABE
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just purchased a new Tacoma.
I am very happy with it so far (4 days, 110 miles)
I cannot wait to pull this thing in to hunting camp this fall.
I camp and hunt with several guys I have known since high school almost 50 years.
Everybody will come over to check it out.

[Linked Image]
If I pulled in to hunting camp in a Ford Ranger, they would start laughing, and ask me if it was a rental ?

MOLON LABE
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
No offense to Ford owners.
Out west, elk, mule deer and blacktail country, it’s not uncommon to need a vehicle to take you rock hopping over miles of boulder fields and up steep mountains covered in decomposed granite.
Many of the trails (I use that term loosely) are too narrow for a full size truck.
You see all kinds of 4X4s on the easier trails but once you get into the rough stuff, the only thing you see are Toyotas and C J/Wrangler Jeeps.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Did you just buy a new Tacoma?

Hadn't heard....

smile

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Need more Toyota pics.

Where is Tikkanut?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Buy a used truck and save thousands!

I've bought nothing but.

Tired of wrenching on stuff in the busy season.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Higginez
Did you just buy a new Tacoma?

Hadn't heard....

smile[/quot[quote=Higginez]Need more Toyota pics.

Where is Tikkanut?

Both Tacoma's are gone

replaced mine with this '03 Lexus LX 470 (100 series Toyota Land Cruiser)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Before I ordered a new one, I looked at used.
Two-year-old Tacoma’s with 50K or less are selling for the same as new, or a grand less.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by Anaconda; 04/18/21.

MOLON LABE
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

601 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,279
Posts18,448,505
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.