Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What i like to see when i go to a gun show

1) prices marked. I don’t wanna waste your time asking the price on something that you are way over on.
2) helpful but don’t hound.
3) be available. If i got a question, i don’t want to wait til you get done BS’ing with your kindergarten playmate you ain’t seen in 50 hrs.
4) wear gloves. No i don’t wanna sample your jerky that you are barehanding. 😂🤣

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Get a copy of blue book of gun values from around 1979 or 1980, and when someone walks up to your table and wants to sell their gun, search the price value of said gun..........

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Read what LeanWolf wrote, it's good stuff.

If you can, price everything in $5 increments so you don't have to mess with ones or coins. If you sell a gun, insist on taking a photo of their ID and log the gun, serial number, and ID. I had a steno pad with gun description and serial number pre-written down - each on on a separate page. I laid their ID on that and shot a picture. After they're gone, write in the price sold for. This is for your future protection.

Talk to everyone who shows any interest at all. Just break the ice with something neutral. "Nice jacket" or "Great mustache" gets them talking back without pressure from you. Never push for a sale.

If some azzhat offers a stupid low price, come back with something way HIGHER than the sticker. If they bitch, say, "You voided the sticker price, now we're bargaining." (It's a sellers' market now. No need to ever come down if your prices are fair to start with.)

Vigilance, a smile, and a sense of humor will get you through what will be a grueling day. Welcome to the Nice Guys side of the table.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Know where to check in.
Find out the loading and unloading zones.
Find out where vendor parking is located.
Bring your own chair.
Wear comfortable shoes.
Get a mat or cushion to put on the concrete floor.
Try to get someone you trust to watch your space so you can get to the bathroom.
Anticipate common questions and have your response ready.

Price fairly, but don't ever apologize about your product. Know in advance what you will or will not accept. Worst case scenario...you take stuff home.

Have fun...it's a learning experience.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All good advice above. Dont forget to show up with CLEAN BORES in your firearms. Cant believe the numbers of "dealers" who try to sell guns that you cant even see the rifling for the dust and crud.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by rem141r
a gut, witty tshirt, surly attitude and unreasonably priced goods.

if you're bald, wear a bad rug under an NRA hat.

That guy is on both sides of the table. Fortunately, there are not many of him.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rem141r
a gut, witty tshirt, surly attitude and unreasonably priced goods.

if you're bald, wear a bad rug under an NRA hat.

This might be my all-time favorite post on The Campfire.

RS

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Don't forget to sell junk aftermarket magazines for more than good ones are worth. Overpriced chinese pocket knives are a must. Honestly though as much fun as I poke about gun shows I do enjoy going to the smaller ones.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Having done shows for years now, I always bring a steno pad to record sales, wants and other notes, plastic sacks, couple of pens, calculator, price stickers and string tags, a seat cushion & carpet sample square to stand on. Rain gear/umbrella, fleece vest/sweater, cooler with drinks/water, snacks and lunch. I pack my items in plastic totes and transport them in/out of the show on a small folding two wheel cart. A one table set-up fits on the cart secured with bungee cords this includes the cooler with drinks, snacks and lunch. As well as table cloth(s) covers for overnight are needed. On the notes page of the steno pad mark down any items forgotten so you'll be sure to bring them to the next show. A handfull of tie wraps for shows that don't tie guns, nail clipper/small side cuts to remove tie wraps and last but not least a bore light.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I do plan to put out a piece of paper "Cash only. Exact change only." I'm not there to be a banker, I'll tell somebody to go buy a hot-dog if need be to get proper change.

What?! And miss out on the joy of counting back change and basking in the love given you by those you count back for?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ideally you’ll get a table between the guy and his wife selling sentcy, and the guy selling tazers and swords.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I do plan to put out a piece of paper "Cash only. Exact change only." I'm not there to be a banker, I'll tell somebody to go buy a hot-dog if need be to get proper change.

I thought gunshow hotdogs were up to $20...not much good for change...
JK...

If you sell full cartridges under a dollar each you will probably do well on volume and reduce the browsers/not buyers..
I haven't seen much jerky at shows lately.

Good luck..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Think about making some kid’s day. There’ll be a few guys who bring their kid/kids. Hopefully, they’ll buy something from you. A “cool” coin, old knife, etc., that they get at the gun show, from the table they passed by, or the table Dad bought a gun at, might be something they remember/have for the rest of their life. Think about it...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I think I'll be prepared for the Black Friday-style rush at 0900 next Saturday morning.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Get some cheap azz knives, jerky, popcorn, and purses.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 04/18/21.
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
I always make a point, the week or two before, of buying all my incidentals (cokes, candy bars, McDonald’s filet-o-fish) with twenty’s & stacking up the small change for the show.

I also do this for shows I’m just buying at, ‘ cause of venders who don’t.

Also like to bring some long cable & padlocks for the valuables overnight.

Second on marking prices on everything! I like painters tape for this cause it doesn’t stick so aggressively to the poor guys new items.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you can raise the height of the merchandise, it will make it appear more like a business display and less of a garage sale. Also, raising the height will prevent children from grabbing stuff. A few bricks, a board, and a bit of cloth will suffice.

Check to make sure you don't have to collect sales tax. That can make it a pain when you have a bunch of coins to suddenly deal with.

We use a service called Square. It works with your smart phone so you can take credit/debit cards. The money goes right to your account, but they do charge for each transaction. It can be handy...but at a price.

I hate the hard sell too. The hardest part is getting the first person to commit to looking. It's often the second person lurking nearby who hears your sales conversation and makes the purchase.

We have a game to pass time countig the Terminators. The people who say "I'll be back". They rarely do.

Last edited by Dess; 04/18/21.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I got a table at a local show a few years ago after I retired. It was a first time for me and here are a few things that I either did or learned.

1. Get a good buddy to go with you. He can help you watch your table during busy times and guard it while you hit the restroom to go look around.
2. Research prices on your stuff and price it on the high side of average. This gives you room to dicker.
3. Mark the prices on your stuff.
4. Take something with you to help move your stuff in and out. A wagon, 2 wheel dolly, ect.
5. Take a couple of blankets. One for a table cloth and one to cover up with.
6. Take your own chairs, something comfortable.
7. Take a lot of small bills for change. Price your stuff at even dollars. No $4.95 type prices.
8. Consider bringing a small ice chest for food and drink.

I tried to engage anyone that walked by and slowed down to look. Nothing high pressure, just a simple good morning or good afternoon. If they stop to look, offer your help. Again, no/low pressure. Introduce yourself to the vendors on either side of you and behind you. Be cautious when leaving the show, you may have a pocket full of money. Be prepared to answer stupid questions, to be low balled and to engage in conservations with lots of like minded people.

All in all, I enjoyed it. And turned a lot of unwanted stuff into cash.

lightman
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Tasers... and make them pop every minute or two...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I've had tables several times over the years at various gun shows so have a bit of experience. I strongly suggest that as a first time vendor, you take a nice, soft pillow to sit on. Those chairs are hard and no fun to sit on all day. wink

Have some cover for the table on which to put your goods, and another cover to cover your stuff for the night.

Introduce yourself to the vendors on each side of your table. Being friendly with them means when you have to go to the restroom or snack bar, you can ask them to keep an eye on your table while you're away. They might in turn, ask you the same favor.

Be prepared for many "lookyloos," who either try to really low ball you on the price on some gun or ammo. Also know that you'll hear a lot of "Well, I'll walk the show and be back for that _______," or "I'll think about it." Ninety nine times of a hundred, that dude ain't comin' back. On the other hand, on rare occasions one will. Or, be careful that two thieves working together will try and distract you while the other thief puts something in his pack, pocket, etc., and walks away before you notice it is gone.

Know previously before the show what you'll take for each item on your table, as people "dicker" for a price.

Take plenty of cash. I never take checks or credit cards. I always take plenty of $20s, $10s, $5s, ten $1s, and maybe a couple of $50s, to make change. Usually, most venues have ATM machines.

Make sure the person who wants one of your firearms is a resident of your State before selling him/her a gun.

Ordinarily I bring a small ice chest with a soft drink, water bottle, and sandwich. This last show, however, my partner's wife brought us a 'burger for lunch. Mighty tasty after having sat there for five hours dealing with people.

After the show closes each day, watch your surroundings as you walk to your vehicle in the parking lot. It is not impossible for some thug(s) to seriously want what's in your pocket. They know that lots of cash is carried by the vendors.

Other than that, enjoy yourself ... and be sure to take a couple of Beanie Babies, some rancid jerky, and a bit of China made jewelry home for wife and daughter. They'll really appreciate it! grin

L.W.

EDIT: The suggestion to take a dolly or cart to carry your goods is an excellent one.

Great advice LW !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.