Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
What are the latest and best? I like the looks of the Winnerwell Fastfold but it's not cheap. I pack with llamas so weight isn't so much of an issue but bulk can be a problem.
I have a 16" Ed T stove but it's a pain to set up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I see that Amazon has several Chinese knockoffs very similar to the Fastfold but nearly $200 cheaper.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used the luxe 3W stove this year and like it. They've redesigned the door latch since I got mine....

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collec...ies/products/folding-wood-stove-titanium

Last edited by huntsman22; 03/27/21.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I looked at that. I like the way the damper section breaks down to pack flat. It takes a lot less room in a pack that way. It's not all that different from the Winnerwell but is almost $200 cheaper.

― George Orwell

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Rocky: Have you seen this One?

Lite Outdoors Titanium Wood Stove

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How big of a tent are you heating & what season(s)?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Price was about the same, so I bought the Kifaru medium size stainless steel box stove. It looks about identical to the Luxe that Huntsman posted,but includes the pipe. Those foil stove pipes are a bugger to roll backup. The Sims fold up stove I had was quite a bit hardier,but it took up one pannier.

All those light weight stoves are nor designed for long term heat. They also require some type of guy cables/ , twine for the stove pipe. Here is how I did mine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/18/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC

Rocky: Have you seen this One?

Lite Outdoors Titanium Wood Stove
That's almost identical to the Ed T stove I have now. I've seldom used it because it's a real PIA to set up. Since I pack with llamas, a couple extra lb don't matter so I want to get one of the square folding stoves that sets up a lot easier.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I guess Sims Stoves went belly up.Their website is open domain now at Go-Daddy.

Here is my Kifaru Medium size setup in my Luxe Megahorn in my pasture when I was checking everything out (no fire)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
$200 cheaper? Well, by all means then, buy chinese.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sad to hear about Sims. I had a Sportsman model for years paired with my Beckel Eena wall tent but burned it out. I’m with Kifaru now too and have a Small for my SuperTarp & Medium for my 6 man Tipi but like Saddlesore said, these little tinny stoves aren’t meant for long term heat. If long term is in mind, go with something with more iron in it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
$200 cheaper? Well, by all means then, buy chinese.

Hahaha. Nope.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
How big of a tent are you heating & what season(s)?
10x10 silnylon wall tent (homemade). 3 seasons unless the weather turns nasty during hunting season. The 16" Ed T cylinder stove I have now heats it fine but it's just too much of a hassle to set it up.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The SO stoves are well made, functional, and pack down small.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have the Seek Outside XL because it came as a package with my 8 man tipi. I like it fine. If weight were not a big concern, I'd look at one of the folding steel stoves Cabelas sells. Way cheaper and they look pretty sturdy and fold nicely. I'm considering getting one anyway to use for car camping. Ultimately, it's just a fireproof box with a stove pipe to ventilate. A homemade one would work fine if it didn't have to fold up.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sad to hear about Sims. I had a Sportsman model for years paired with my Beckel Eena wall tent but burned it out. I’m with Kifaru now too and have a Small for my SuperTarp & Medium for my 6 man Tipi but like Saddlesore said, these little tinny stoves aren’t meant for long term heat. If long term is in mind, go with something with more iron in it.

What a coincidence.I had the exact same set up.Sims Sporstman and Becktel/Eena wall tent. I probably used that stove a good twenty years.Sold to separately for almost as much as I paid for .My wall tent/wood stove/packing in big camp days are over and I sold all my big stuff. Everything I have now fits on one mule.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
4 Dogs, titanium... and if you say weight isn't a problem, go all out for their steel deluxe model and have hot water when you wake up.

Link

Phil

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Second the endorsement of 4-Dog. I’ve been through a couple Kifaru stoves and a KniCo. If I’m backpacking I take a Kifaru. Most of the time we are are llama packing and the 4 Dog ultralight titanium is the best for this application by far. It doesn’t collapse down but the performance more than makes up for it. Don Kevilus of 4 Dog is a great guy and a great American. Call him up to talk about stoves.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore

What a coincidence.I had the exact same set up.Sims Sporstman and Becktel/Eena wall tent. I probably used that stove a good twenty years.Sold to separately for almost as much as I paid for .My wall tent/wood stove/packing in big camp days are over and I sold all my big stuff. Everything I have now fits on one mule.

Funny world we live in - I suppose that when we both bought our outfits, there weren’t as many options to choose from. For me, one long convo with Bob Beckel taught me more than I could have learned in a decade. At that time he didn’t offer stoves & recommended Sims. (Circa 1985 RIP Bob)

At the time, those two items were the Cadillac of the industry. Kept lots of people warm and well rested though in some pretty terrible weather before all the modern hunting clothing & fancy sleeping gear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
264 members (1minute, 45_100, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.