Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey All,

Between my son and I we have three pre 64 88's - 2 in 308 and 1 in 243 (looking for a second 243 btw!). Stocks are in great shape overall with some dings here or there but no damage at all. I guess I could keep going with what I've been doing for care - which is basically nothing at all other than the overall wipe down and wipe off of the metal with some Hoppe's gun oil and and/or a Rem cloth followed by a quick wipe off of the wood with the same cloth. Not great for wood I guess so just wanted to ask for recommendations on care. Like many, I've got several gun care products that have always worked well for me but I'm open to suggestions. Have never used it but have recently read Ballistol is a good all around product that does not harm wood as it's vegetable based. Love GunBlue490 on youtube who recommends good old fashioned mineral oil.

Thanks!

GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I use Ballistol, and paste wax depending on anticipated use.

I have a circa 1952 model 70. It had some deterioration at the bedding surfaces. I used Minwax wood hardener and epoxy to preserve, repair, and give moisture resistance there.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Well since no one is jumping in, let me add my two cents! For over 40 yrs. and my in laws family of another 50 yrs. some overlap there, we are Hunters, Shooters, and some pretty nice Collectable Firearms! Not claiming to be experts of any kind, just opinionated on what has worked for us! Several Military Snipers in the Family, besides Law enforcement, and we all have come to several Conclusions over the years! As the years roll by, and times change so do products, and research and development, in firearms! A little something Slippery is better than nothing at all, Gramp's was known to say! The Condition of the wood to start with tells it all when your trying to protect it! Most Furniture polishes contain Wax, leaving build up, not preferred by most gun owners! My brother in law loves Millsec, lemon scent, and I won't argue with him. He's been using it for years! All his guns are in great shape!(former Marine, 30 yrs.) You never want to soak your wood with oil,(especially collectable firearms), as it will stain the wood, and not do you any good at all. My uncle believes in a light machine oil, on the metal like a Rem oil,(Remington) That works well also! On all of my Collectable Firearms, I use Rig, on a Rig Rag, and place them in a Silicone Gun Sock, then in the safe, monitoring the Humidity, with the Golden rod, and also Controlling the Room temp. and Humidity! Guns need to be wiped down often, and enjoyed, no matter how often you shoot them! Don't let the Grease, and oil collect dirt and build up until it cooks on the weapon, and the you've got a job to do that can be avoided! I own and have owned several Winchester's over the years, and never was really fond of the 88! I have several friends who love, and own them, and have taken a lot of game with them. I'm not knocking the 88 at all, I just never cared for the basket weave on engraving on the stock! My Father in Law,who was a gun smith, loved them! With the Varnish that came on them, he would just, wipe them with, a really light coat of Boiled Linseed oil, and Mineral Spirits, about 50/50 mix, and head out to the woods with his 308! The bottom line is enjoy, and have fun!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
For me its been a coat of Johnson's paste wax on both the wood and the metal, wipe off with a micro fiber cloth and you're good to go.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Ya'll! HunterShooter58, love all that you included - many great ways to care for and enjoy the beautiful rifles!

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Walnut is my favorite wood - especially on my firearms!
What works for me -
Ballistol is my go to for cleaning and maintenance -
unlike most other gun oils petroleum or silicone based it does not harm the walnut
However for long term storage there are better gun oils

Respecting a fine piece of walnut needs to address two objectives:
Preservative from use and the elements
Enhancement of grain, color and luster

Hand rubbing with Star Brite Teak Oil (white label only not golden) has provided the best preservation and protection whether to renew and refresh, or refinish gunstocks and maintain the original traditional look from factory.

To enhance and restore the satin shine on mine I buff with Renaissance Wax, ensuring to polish with light repeated coats to fill and seal the pores of the walnut without an excess build up.

Both are long lasting, undetectable from a factory finish and do not require the original finish be disturbed in any way.
They do require some elbow grease, but I have always enjoyed cleaning / maintaining my firearms and to be able to take them afield prepared for the harshest of conditions

Traditionalists will scoff but Renaissance Wax is commonly used by museum curators including the Cody Museum, I am told.
Your mileage may vary but both work for me

Last edited by moose95; 04/24/21.

There is room for all of gods creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Old West Snake Oil, Formula #2 on my Winchesters.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Renaissance Wax on all my wood stocks. I also use this wax on the exteriors of my rifles. You must remove any oil or grease on the metal part before you wax them. If I'm not mistaken this is the wax that is used by the NRA gun museum.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Depends what the finish is to begin with- oil, lacquer, or varnish. Each demands a different approach to preservative. Generally speaking though, Ren Wax is good across the board. A long time friend/neighbor here has worked at the Smithsonian over in D.C. as a conservator for nigh onto 30 years and he swears by the stuff. But really, as far as I'm concerned, any good paste wax is good for firearms.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/24/21.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

134 members (007FJ, 257 mag, 44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,655 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.