-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For someone not schooled in Savage Levers the Cody letter/search might leave many questions unanswered.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

GB1

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rick99
For someone not schooled in Savage Levers the Cody letter/search might leave many questions unanswered.

Absolutely agree there.

Originally Posted by Loggah
In one of my searches they did on winchester years ago they had the rifle as solid frame when it was a takedown!!! someone screwed up. smile

Does Winchester ledgers have the same reputation as Savage ledgers for being... not totally complete? grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yes, but i believe there more legible then the cluttered savage ones.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Did I miss something where they are obviously not up to snuff? Just curious. They are quite clear that they are only going to report what's recorded in the ledger, they will not fill in blanks or try to interpret anything not recorded.

I can reverse engineer what this line looks like.

Line 1: "Type: Rifle"
It's in the Savage 1895/1899/99 ledgers, thus it's a rifle
Line 2: "Barrel Type: Round"
There's an R on the line
Line 3: "Barrel length: 24 inches"
There's a 24" on the line
Line 4: “Pistol grip stock”
There’s a “P/G” or “Pistol Grip” on the line.
Line 5: "Fancy American Walnut"
There's a "Fan. Amer. Wal." or something very close written on the line
Line 6:"Engraved B"
There's a "Eng. B" or something very close written on the line
Line 7: "Checkered B"
There's a "Ckd. B" or something very close written on the line
Line 8-10: Date accepted/shipped/sold to is pretty clear.

Based on this one, I'd say they are as up to snuff as Savage Arms ever got. Truthfully, probably better than Savage Arms ever got.

1) The comment ""obviously not up to snuff" was made by you. Not me.
2) I don't need/want you to reverse engineer anything. I would like context associated with a letter. Like Roe & JTC did. And Cody can do that with some schooling.
3) If Cody is up to snuff, then why did they contact David and ask for his input?

The point of the message is that the ledgers are for 1895, 1899, 99, pistols, .22's, bolts, shotguns and probably more.
Possessing the ledgers does not make Cody experts. Understanding them does. And this will take time and effort from Cody, David and others.

I think we agree that education/schooling of Cody is in order.
Don't care what the definition of snuff is. smile

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Roe didn't always do "context", many of his letters were before Murray coined the 1899 model names and so his letters often just report what's in the ledger. I do think he'd fill in the "303 Savage" and "26 inch barrel" in the letter when it was empty in the ledger, but that was usually all.

IC B2

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a Roe Clark letter for a very similar rifle. The only additional context he put in that probably wasn't in the ledger that I can see is that it was in 303 Savage.

[Linked Image from media.liveauctiongroup.net]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be meeting with Jessi the historian and Danny the curator.
People aren't born with info already in their heads. They need to learn from others who have more knowledge on the subject and to study the subject if possible. When I was in school back in the dark ages we had teachers or professors who gave us the book learning and we went on field trips to see what they were teaching us.
The last time I was at the museum they didn't have much of a variety of Savages. If they could visit Doug Foglio or Dave Trauth and spend days with their rifles and the ledgers side by side they could become experts. They were studying the Collector's Guide so that was a step in the right direction but they need more input than the collector's guide gives on the subject. If my new book was out they would have more facts to help them.
I'll be using my inventory list and the info I've gathered researching my new book to help explain the ledgers to them. I'll also tell them they are welcome to come here to my house to study my collection.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It's always good to teach new people about Savage's, I'm sure they'll enjoy it.

But they told me last fall, they told me this spring - they aren't going to do anything on searches and letters except tell people what's in the ledger. That's all they do on any ledger entry from any manufacturer. So it will be interesting to see if you can make any headway on telling them to start filling in stuff that's not recorded.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,541
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.