Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As best as I can recall, I’ve killed 8 elk the last 15 seasons, 3 of which were cows. All Colorado rifle hunts, so that would be 53% beating the averages. Lucky for the freezer my son got elk some of my tag soup years or I got a deer. None of my elk were trophy class, either. Happy Trails

Last edited by WAM; 04/18/21.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have freezer room for a cow elk, that's all.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Wrapids
I have freezer room for a cow elk, that's all.

out of elk meat too ! dang it !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by elkmen1
Originally Posted by huntsman22
and if you like being fed bullshit, lissen to elkmen and the elkslayer dude.....

Wow, another SPORTSMAN, with a potty mouth , it"s almost like being in high school again.

You hunt behind a high fence and closed gate too? I know elk slayer does, he said it himself.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WideOpenSpaces
So my only experience hunting elk is late season in low country on private land. As far as bulls were concerned, we saw them either in bachelor groups of 2-5 bulls, or we would see them mixed in with a herd of 200+ elk. As far as cows, we only saw them in the big herds.....never saw one or two stray cows off by themselves like we did the bulls.

For early season, say mid-Sept, up high in a Colorado OTC unit.....is it still the case where cows are going to be in big herds, or might they be traveling in small groups and spread out all over the place?

My goal is to shoot a cow with my bow, so just trying to get a better idea of their habits. I realize public land, especially OTC, is vastly different than unpressured private land, and imagine the time of year and rut are going to also play a role. So I basically know nothing and realize that.

my advice is pick an area/unit and spend at least a week scouting it this summer. Get in great hiking shape. Be prepared to move if you're not seeing elk and or fresh sign. ID escape routes etc. No substitutes for a lot of time in elk country.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Elk don't always follow the rules. The last week of Nov last year we were hunting a wintering area. The elk had moved in the week before and there were some herds of hundreds. I got my cow that was out wandering around with only a solo bull, well away from any others that we could see.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ask a novice question, you get an answer from a novice, me. I used to draw a branch antler bull tag in Desolation Unit in Central Oregon embarassingly often. On many occasions in November, I experienced very close, archery close, encounters with small groups of 8 to 10 cows,calves and spikes shortly after shooting light when they appeared to be traveling from feeding areas, almost always a burn or clearcut...headed, I guess, to bedding areas, usually steep, dark, rocky heavily timbered canyon slopes. One thing that seems to be irresistable to elk in the Cascades...is freshly fallen timber, they really go after the mosses on the bark and limbs on larch and lodgepole. On two occasions, groups of elk actually split around me to pass, within 25 yards, lead cow would stop and stare holes in me for almost a minute (that is a long time when you are locked up) and the proceed by me, after she passed the younger ones would relax enough to snatch a morsel as they worked by me. I was dressed as a novice should be, bright blue Filson coat, blue double front logger denims and a Christmassy colored stocking cap. Walnut rifle, gloss scope....but it didn't seem to spook the elk. Of course, I was locked up like the Statue of Liberty, barely breathing. I'm kinda glad now that I experienced that thrill without pulling a trigger, not so much at the time, with kids to feed.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,238
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.