Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I built myself a 308 a few weeks back and yesterday got around to shooting it. I used Ramshot Big Game, 168 Sierra MK, Federal brass. I used WLRM primers. I always get better results with magnum primers when using ball powder. Here is what the chrono says.
Charlie
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
BP-B2

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Good report, thanks! What's your barrel length on this 308?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
66 centimeters.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many shots per string?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I would defer to your knowledge and experience in all things rifle related...but smarter people than me (there are many) have often remarked that ballistic uniformity does not always translate to accuracy. What say you?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Share your load, pls?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Charlie and I have talked about this some, and another reason I like Big Game is that it has proven to be the most temperature-resistant of the Belgian-produced Ramshot rifle powders in my testing. In fact, in those tests it has ranked up there with other powders advertised as temp-resistant, in a wide variety of cartridges.

I keep a running list of the handloads used in my rifles and Eileen's, and more of our loads use Big Game than any other single powder. This is also because the burn-rate (slightly faster than H4350/IMR4350) is suited to so many cartridges.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Charlie, if you were to take the time and effort to make sure of such things as case tumbling, flash-hole reaming and primer pocket cleaning, the amount of humidity in your loading area, the phase of the moon, and a few things of that nature you could get that variation in speed down to something acceptable. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've pretty much settled on Big Game in my 30-06 with 165 Nosler PT. Good velocity and accuracy.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jordan
10 shot strings.
Charlie

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
flintlocke
Chronograph numbers and accuracy don't always go hand in hand. I have witnessed several loads with 60 fps swings that grouped really well. And some like the loads shown here that didn't group well. but.....aint there always a but...if I get a load with a really low deviation, I have always been able to play with seating depth to make it shoot well. A few times, just for testing, I have lengthened the throat and it worked. Put no faith that a low SD means absolute accuracy, and put no faith that it wont.
Charlie

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Charlie_Sisk
Jordan
10 shot strings.
Charlie

That’s impressive.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
5SDAD
Certainly prepping brass is important. Sorting sometimes helps a lot, sometimes not. I have learned that annealing is sometimes more important than all others combined. Sometimes not. But nowadays, if something isnt working, I anneal. I pay particular attention when seating bullets. If one feels too easy or too hard, put it aside. Bullets seated straight in the case does wonders. And a good barrel never hurts.
Charlie

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Ballistic uniformity certain lessons vertical dispersion at long range

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use a little Big Game every now and then.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The last rifle I brought home was a 308. In
the past, I used a lot of Varget. In times to come I may look to Big Game. This one dotes on Federal Gold Metal Match. I realize I have much to learn, but the 308 envelope leaves a margin for error.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I've pretty much settled on Big Game in my 30-06 with 165 Nosler PT. Good velocity and accuracy.

My cousin and his son use the same projectile from a 30-06 but we used Ramshot Hunter/WLR/Fed brass instead. Right @ 3K FPS and excellent accuracy from a Tikka T-3 and a SC M70 Supergrade.

Last edited by horse1; 04/20/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I use Hunter in my 06 with 180 grain bullets. Works really well.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Charlie_Sisk
flintlocke
Chronograph numbers and accuracy don't always go hand in hand. I have witnessed several loads with 60 fps swings that grouped really well. And some like the loads shown here that didn't group well.

Put no faith that a low SD means absolute accuracy, and put no faith that it wont.
Charlie

I appreciate your verification of what I've recorded. I began chronographing in 1981 with an O 33 and I still use it. Somewhere about 2013 or 2014 I updated the skyscreens with the III s.

I have at least 5 (five) notebooks of graphing & groups of a large number of rifles - in many cartridges & calibers.

I DO like a low SD but it is NOT a reliable indicator of accuracy.

Thank You

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use Big Game in my 7mm08 to push 140 Accubonds. Best powder I’ve found for that rifle. I just wish I could find more of it as I’m about out...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 3,144 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.