24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
SWEET! Odd you mention your call...one of my very favorites...just dug mine out to make sure it was in the day pack for the next trip...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Sheister
Most of the time the Hornady 25 grain hp's were extremely predictable and accurate. However, once in a great while when I encountered a coyote, they would do funny things. I always wondered if hitting a bone made them extra explosive as they seemed to just explode and would leave baseball sized holes in one side, but wouldn't pass through. In any case, I got tired of dealing with the constantly coppered barrel ruining the accuracy after 25-30 rounds and needing cleaning, and then moly coating the bullets to extend the accuracy so that barrel went down the road and had a VSSF 223 barrel spun on by ITD. Shoots bugholes now with 40 grain BT's and raises hell with coyotes at much longer ranges....

Just out of curiosity, what is the longest you guys have killed coyotes with your .17's ? I think the longest I had was one that stood around a bit too long at about 400 yards, but I've always considered that a pretty lucky shot given the windy conditions and other things...

Bob

I have killed a few at 400+, without any issue whatsoever. Not sure about the longest shot but am thinking it is less than 500.

It is odd how the same bullets do different things to different people. I have the same issues with 6.5mm ELD-Ms and 140 bergers. They absolutely explode (sometimes the ELD-Ms in mid flight) where others have awesome outcomes, with the same twist rates and appx velocities. Maybe individual barrels have something to do with it as I'll throw 500+ 25 grain HPs through my .17 Rem between cleanings and it never has an issue keeping them well under MOA, nor not working well once the critter is hit, including coyote shoulder bone hits.

I too have experienced the drastically different bullet performance deal. Corelokts and I just don’t get along. I haven’t used many but the times I have they’ve been awful. On the opposite end of the spectrum I seem to be able shoot pigs and deer with .22 caliber “varmint” bullets and see excellent results. Who knows.

I was initially worried about the 17’s reputation for fouling and the chore of cleaning, even went so far as to buy a nice .17 cleaning rod and jags. Turns out my rifle is like yours and I don’t clean it unless I get caught out in the rain with it or something. Maybe it’s the magic CFE223 I feed it. I don’t have any colony varmints around so mine probably doesn’t see nearly the round count some do either.

My furthest coyote has probably been 250-275 yards or so, the broken country around here just doesn’t usually show good opportunities way out there since they usually have cover for the approach. I did kill one at a shade over 400 last fall with my 223.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You get the prettiest coyotes there!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
well, two of the three. The one on the right is nasty mangy.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you guys do with your coyotes after? Hides aren't worth anything around here and I've always shot coyotes for predator control so I just left them lay in the field... are you guys skinning them and tanning the skins? or?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What do you guys do with your coyotes after? Hides aren't worth anything around here and I've always shot coyotes for predator control so I just left them lay in the field... are you guys skinning them and tanning the skins? or?

Mine get their picture taken and stay where they fall. Pretty sure the guys further north and west of me get pretty good money for some of theirs.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
fur is beyond prime now so leave em lay. Fur prices were down this season, but normally I sell all of em in the round.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Leave em lay or drag and toss in the brush.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You disrespectful, unethical fücks. All you do is take a picture and leave coyotes where they died, or at most drag them to the bushes? I was taught to respect the animals I kill.

I give them a respectful finger pointing and laugh at their dead ass then go find where I dropped my beer when I shot.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We tend to practice a lot of "shoot and release" on a variety of varmints.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ingwe

Thats exactly what I told a buddy of mine when I took him on his first predator hunt this fall and he dropped a mangy fox! We did "keep" his second one though as it had a nice coat and he wanted it tanned to hang on his wall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

That about sums it up... I have a buddy who came back from an elk hunt and his wife asks if he practices "patch and release"? Laughed my butt off at that one and it has stuck in camp....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Poor pic, but it is a 2021 dead critter....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You climbed the whole way up the mountain in the snow to shotgun a porcupine??? laugh

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sure did: that's how I roll. My love of killing porcupines runs deep.
Spot and stalk, from miles away in 10 feet of snow.

I wasn't actually after these or anything....

Damn Georgians...A guy has to break everything down for them Barney style, but I luv them anywayblush.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Sure did: that's how I roll. My love of killing porcupines runs deep.
Spot and stalk, from miles away in 10 feet of snow.

I wasn't actually after these or anything....

Damn Georgians...A guy has to break everything down for them Barney style, but I luv them anywayblush.

Do you save any feathers for making lures?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I do not. That's not a bad idea though.
I have tied flies and dressed up worn and frayed rooster tails and other spinners in the past. I should do that a bit more.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,668 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.