Print Thread
Hop To
A
AU7MM08 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Looking to see if anyone here has any experience with owning/operating an AirBNB property.

I might possibly have a lead on a purchase of a cabin near Townsend, TN near Cades Coves/Smokey Mountain National Park that I am considering purchasing.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It depends on your intentions.

If you are looking to use the property yourself for a few weeks a year and attempt to B&B it the rest of the time to curb expenses then maybe it'd work for you.

If you are being attracted to the idea due to the high nightly BnB rates thinking you'd earn more that renting it out on a yearly basis, maybe not.

I BnBed out five of my rental units for a few years.
At first it seemed outstanding, they were pulling in better than twice the income that they had when rented on a yearly basis.
They were in a great area and seemingly stayed occupied the majority of the time.

After about five years I decided to sell the property, they were all on a few acre lake front parcel, two houses and three efficiently apartments.

I figured with the increased income for that length of time I'd be able to show a higher income which could increase the sales value.

Once all the books were penciled out for the BnB years it proved the properties made no more money that they would of being rented on a yearly basis.

This was due to the few days here and there they weren't occupied, the costs of cleaning and general maintenance as well as some discounted rates for extended stay clients and of course the piece of the pie Airbnb gets.

The most positive thing going Airbnb is the insurance they provide and they do all the books and money handling.

You just sit back and collect checks and a 1099.

https://www.airbnb.com/host/homes?a...1_cqI8AIVRMqzCh1mRA3NEAAYAyAAEgJhAvD_BwE

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I use VRBO, and my favorite one down in Arizona charges $150/night. He provides full bathroom supplies down to razors and sun screen, a fully provisioned pantry including canned meals and cases of coffee, cases of drinking water, two big screen TVs with DirecTV, a memory foam bed, a pool and hot tub, BBQ grill, and lots more. He earns (by my estimate) $50k to $60k a year with that unit and it is booked 300+ days a year.

Moral: the more you provide, the more you earn.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Management fees might kill.

We've done a few. It's hard to want to have a vacation place and rent it out too. Need to decide one or the other.

Obviously, if you can rent for $400-500/night you gonna exclude the riff-raff. Requiring 3-4 night rental also helps, excluding the idiots who come in and trash it for the weekend.

Been there and done it. I aim for high income rental and cut my losses if I don't get it.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I’ve got a place just up the valley from there and you can rent them all day long but they get rode hard and put away wet. Depends on the type of cabin and your personal intended use. If it’s just a place to rest your head and your main goal is making money go for it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Management fees might kill.

We've done a few. It's hard to want to have a vacation place and rent it out too. Need to decide one or the other.

Obviously, if you can rent for $400-500/night you gonna exclude the riff-raff. Requiring 3-4 night rental also helps, excluding the idiots who come in and trash it for the weekend.

Been there and done it. I aim for high income rental and cut my losses if I don't get it.

My BnB properties were just outside of Whitefish Montana, view of Glacier Park, Lake front with fishing, private setting, blah, blah, blah.

Rents were on the high side, getting clients was never a problem.

It was getting quality services that I found difficult for the first year.
The places have to be cleaned, linens had to be washed beds had to be made all in timely manner.
With clients leaving at 11am and the next ones arriving at 3pm it gave the cleaning services a 4 hour time slot to get this done.

Good luck making that happen.

I'd suppose if you lived next door, did everything yourself and valued your time at zero it could be different.

There are cleaning services that specialize in BnB services, first couple I had would make it happen about half the time, the rest the time they would either be late or early.

I Didn't keep either of those services very long. I also started adding in a down day between clients to assure the cleaning would get done.

Third company seemed to be a charm, they always showed up on time, they used teams of two or three, I think that was just to insure one of them would make it there in a timely manner. Whatever their reason was, it worked.

I showed up in Montana after using them for a few months and started inspecting the units myself. Their work sucked, there would be food crumbs in the back corners of the kitchen counters, the frig and ovens weren't getting cleaned well enough and occasionally I could find a human hair in a sink or tub.

I'd never had a complaint but this wasn't satisfactory for me.

I had a recently retired lady who had taken up residence in one of my efficentcy units, she'd kept extending her stay, she'd been there a few months. I chatted her up and cut a deal, she'd do the cleaning in exchange for a deeply discounted rate for her unit.

I'll take quality over quantity any day of the week!

It was a farm like setting on acreage, we turned under a 75x75 area and she put in a vegetable garden, it was picture perfect.
She got eggs from a local couple down the lane from us, my clients would now arrive to a basket of farm fresh eggs and produce, a bottle of wine and a sparkling clean rental. In the off season she'd bake and exchanged the produce with fresh baked pastries and cookies, problem solved, I had rave reviews on Airbnb up to the day I sold the property.

I had more people staying for a week or two than just a few days, it's a vacation destination area, it's just the way it rolls there.
Those type of bookings create a day or two gap here and there.

I also had monthlies that would stay the entire summer or be in town on jobs that paid daily predieums, some of them stayed for up to six months at a time. I discounted the monthlies, it was worth it, just less hassle, less wear and tear.

Funny thing was with the unit my cleaning/resident gal stayed in at a deep discount, I'd also discounted the rates on that unit when I was renting the five out on a yearly basis in exchange for mowing and grounds maintenance which I was now paying for with the BnB deal going on, so that was a added expense.

Winter time brought snow removal, that was also a added expense, with my yearly renters it was their problem to plow snow.

Basic homeowners insurance is more exspensive if you rent as well.

The income from these rentals is all taxable, so the fed's and state government get their share too.

All these added costs combined with various discounts and down days lets a good bit of air outta that BnB dream bubble.

Like I'd stated in my first post, at the end of five years with five units the real BnB profits equaled the income one would experience with yearly rentals but without the added hassles of the BnB show.

With my regular yearly rentals my tenants have more of a tendency to care for the properties as if they were their own, you don't get that with BnB clients.

The only way I could see going BnB a reasonable choice is if you wanted to use the property yourself a few select weeks a year and generate income at the same time.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
How much of your rents do bnb and the other big marketing companies charge? We almost booked a condo on one and it was $200/night for 10 nights but with the service, management, taxes and other fees it was about $3500. I'm guessing they take part of the rent too.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Roughly 13 to 15%, depends on the way you set it up and the various rental assist companies all charge differently.

A
AU7MM08 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
JeffA I appreciate the insight.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Your housekeeping or management company is EXTREMELY important.
Housekeepers have to have it drilled in their heads that THEY are your eyes for the property!

FJB & FJT
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
A couple guys I work with have units in the resorts town they rent out this way. They seem to struggle to keep them rented and don't do as well as one might expect.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
AU7MM08 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Raeford
Your housekeeping or management company is EXTREMELY important.
Housekeepers have to have it drilled in their heads that THEY are your eyes for the property!

Makes sense that the cleanliness/attention to details are what will make or break it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
PM sent

FJB & FJT
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

A few random campfire comments
My sister in law and brother have a condo in Maui they short term rent.
They net about 80k a year but it is a full time job for sil.
Securing good help is critical. Some of the managers in Maui are charging upwards of 50% of the rental.

On the other end we stayed at a little one bedroom house in the back yard of an elderly couple two weeks ago. Clean and much quieter than the hotel. But they are not hiring out any maintenance or cleaning. Good for them.

Last example is we have a neighbor that rents her mothers house on air bnb. She has great reviews. She agreed to let a local stay. She is now in a battle to get her out. Guest has refused to leave, is claiming furnishings are guests and were stolen and has removed items, removed all the labels and tips for guests and is a nightmare. Think Pacific Heights movie.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Townsend is nice, but if the Cove is closed for the winter, that could be slow money for 3 months. A long way up 321 and Wears Valley if the roads are crappy.

Ya and when it’s cold the go-carts shut down too.

lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PM sent

Tell em bout the Florida Gators that took a shît in your hot tub

😂🤣

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
PM sent

Tell em bout the Florida Gators that took a shît in your hot tub

😂🤣

Fook a hot tub!
I won't put one in.
Have one at home in VA and nobody allowed in it but us, none of that 'friends/family' bullsheet.

Townsend actually does pretty well in the winter anymore.

FJB & FJT
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
We rent our cabin through VRBO enough to pay for itself, about 80 nights a year. The cabin rents from Memorial Day to Columbus Day generally. My life is scheduled so its easy to schedule us in when we want to go during those times. I'll go out all next week and work on projects, etc. Our place is extremely well located and has proven easy to do, for us anyway. YMMV

I don't use and would not use a marketing service. They call all the time and want 30% of my gross for things I can do myself. Think they're coming to repair or replace something? Hell no. Just VRBO, which isn't the best but its what we have to work with and they've been good enough to me.

We have a guest house attached to the garage which we rent on an annual basis to a little family that lives there. Once they move, I'm going to VRBO the guest house also. We couldn't pull it off without an excellent housekeeper/cleaning service and our own ability to get out there and get things done from time to time during the summer.

Its been good for us. Like I said, the place pays for itself. I haven't had to feed it much at all over the past years.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.