Originally Posted by Seafire
maybe its me, but one of the biggest reasons, I like to use faster powders on reloading ammo, as it at least gives me the perception of less muzzle blast, than slower powders...

that is why I like 4064 or 3031 in the 243...over say 4350....

or why I use 4198 vs H4895 reduced loads from Hodgdon data, because the muzzle blast is a lot less with 4198 loads...( with better accuracy in my opinion I might add)...

using less powder to achieve the same velocity, doesn't hurt at all either...

no scientific data, just observation and personal perception...

slowing down the muzzle velocity also seems to work... again, less powder, less blast...

even in the extreme here....

I've chronographed factory 243 and 260 Rem ammo, that was suppose to be running at 2950 fps, and instead the chronograph read them at the 2600 fps MV velocity range...low 2600s

22 grains of Blue Dot, with the same bullets gave the same 2600 fps range... of course less kaboom or muzzle blast..

30 grain of 4198 ( IMR) were also chronographing in the 2600 fps velocity range.. again, less recoil and less retort...

both still giving as good or even better accuracy than the factory loads...

found the same resluts with Remington's Managed Recoil ammo when it came out... disassembled some of their ammo...
powder looked like 4198, and handloads with 4198, gave the same MV over the chronograph... with less recoil...and muzzle retort...

kind of the reason, I use these kinds of loads for most of my hunting, which is pretty much 250 yds and under in the Oregon Mountains and woods...

Take a 6.5 Grendal deer hunting, with a handloaded 140 gr Speer SP for example.. a 100 or 120 grain ballistic tip will also make you a believer in that combo...if so, why can't one do the same thing in a 260 or 243 case? 30 grains of 4198 or 20 to 22 grains of Blue Dot will give me pretty much the same velocity range as the Grendal is giving me...

Great post Seafire!