Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tom338
I have 2 Rifles that I shoot hammers in. They don't shoot good in this particular rifle. I was worried I couldn't find any burgers and need more to sight in and range check. I found 2 boxes today and ordered them. Going to give them a try.

Sounds like you have found a bullet your specific rifle likes. I’d verify the load a few times at distance also and go kill things!

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is my very short answer.
The Berger will expand reliably at that distance, my own testing shows the regular Accubond will show little expansion and no experience with the Hornady anything.
Out of my STW I am running the 168g ABLR to 900 or so and they will expand right down to 900fps.
This would be my choice.

Cheers.

Last edited by 416RigbyHunter; 04/14/21. Reason: Duplicate
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Not a 7MM RM but a 30-06 168 Berger (Federal factory). Twelve minutes will buy me 600yards and very accurate (half MOA). Unfortunately, my Elk was at 218 yards. Bullet entered the chest an exited the shoulder DRT.

At 700 yards I'm still at 1600+ fps.

I ran the numbers for HSM 7MM RM using a 168 Berger VLD. Advertised speed for this round is 3076. At 700 yards it's still smoking over 2000fps. Um...yeah if you do your part, that round will do it's job.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The few guys I know that have shot the 162 eldx liked them Shot lights out. However, no experience on game.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I keep reading reports of eldx having some issues with terminal performance. I've not seen it and have shot eldx for last 2 seasons.

AB never failed me either.

Everyone I hunt with tells me I need to start shooting berger.

Everyone of them seems like a good option.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I keep reading reports of eldx having some issues with terminal performance. I've not seen it and have shot eldx for last 2 seasons.

AB never failed me either.

Everyone I hunt with tells me I need to start shooting berger.

Everyone of them seems like a good option.

My friends daughter in law shot a 6x6 bull in utah a while back with a 200 grain eldx in a 300 win mag. Distance was 300 yards, the bullet broke a shoulder and exited,

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I witnessed a 162 grain ELDX used on an elk at 60 yards out of a 7 rem mag. Speed 2850 at muzzle. Shot hit the scapula and splashed. Elk fell over and got up and ran away. Hunting partner came and got me and we followed up on it. Without good snow we would have not found the elk. We tracked it for 1/2 mile with zero blood. Found it bedded--40 yards. He shot it 3 more time to finish it---thu the lungs. None of the bullets passed thru. Was a rag horn bull. Later that year he shot a mule deer buck and had to shoot it multiple times. He was on a guided hunt. The guide asked what he was shooting for bullets.. 162ELDX. He said you are the 4th hunter this year that has had to shoot a buck multiple times with the ELDX bullets. I know another guy who shot a elk and it took 5 rounds to put him down. He will not use the ELDX again either. I don't know if those earlier bullets were not up to the job or if they have changed but they won't be in any gun it shoot.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Tom338
I witnessed a 162 grain ELDX used on an elk at 60 yards out of a 7 rem mag. Speed 2850 at muzzle. Shot hit the scapula and splashed. Elk fell over and got up and ran away. Hunting partner came and got me and we followed up on it. Without good snow we would have not found the elk. We tracked it for 1/2 mile with zero blood. Found it bedded--40 yards. He shot it 3 more time to finish it---thu the lungs. None of the bullets passed thru. Was a rag horn bull. Later that year he shot a mule deer buck and had to shoot it multiple times. He was on a guided hunt. The guide asked what he was shooting for bullets.. 162ELDX. He said you are the 4th hunter this year that has had to shoot a buck multiple times with the ELDX bullets. I know another guy who shot a elk and it took 5 rounds to put him down. He will not use the ELDX again either. I don't know if those earlier bullets were not up to the job or if they have changed but they won't be in any gun it shoot.

Good to know

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wonder about the stories of bullets.

Is it really the bullet or the shooter? Or maybe the animal?

I've killed two elk with the 200 eldx, at 330 yards and 620 yards and they've been devastating. Broke the shoulder of one.

3 deer have been DRT.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 212 ELD X from my 30-06 worked as well as any other bullet could have on a small raghorn this fall. The bullet was barely over 2700 start speed though, and I'd likely not wanna push them much harder myself. But with the BC they have, there isn't too much reason to launch them real hard unless you're shooting and planning on hitting animals way out there. It acted real nice on the bull at about 390 yards. Punched all the way through both front legs and was wadded up in the hide/muscle on the far side.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
So does the .30 cal eld-x perform different that he 7 mm eld-x
I’m working towards a 150 gr load for my 7-08. I was thinking of trying the 162’s in my 7 rem mag. Now I’m concerned. Is it a shot placement deal???

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 2500HD
So does the .30 cal eld-x perform different that the 7 mm eld-x
I’m working towards a 150 gr load for my 7-08. I was thinking of trying the 162’s in my 7 rem mag. Now I’m concerned. Is it a shot placement deal???

I use 150 eldx in my 7mm-08 with great results, MV 2790.

I use 162 eldx in my 7mm Rem Mag with great results, MV 2980.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
But is there a significant difference in bullet performance? My brother wants to try the 168 VLD despite excellent accuracy with the Eldx.

Then the brother has no good judgement.

If you have the ELDx and the AB shooting well, no need to try the VLD at all.

JMHO

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
But is there a significant difference in bullet performance? My brother wants to try the 168 VLD despite excellent accuracy with the Eldx.

Then the brother has no good judgement.

If you have the ELDx and the AB shooting well, no need to try the VLD at all.

JMHO

I agree but he’s my brother.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd use the 150 grain Nosler partition.

but no one should shoot elk at 700 yards. grin

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well this bullet or that bullet damned if I can figure out why anybody would use a fragile bullet and try to punch the near side scapula on an elk. I understand breaking them down but aim for the FAR shoulder after you have run it thru the vitals. Seems like a no brainer to me but then I use Nosler partitions and hunt elk not try to snipe them in the next county. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well this bullet or that bullet damned if I can figure out why anybody would use a fragile bullet and try to punch the near side scapula on an elk. I understand breaking them down but aim for the FAR shoulder after you have run it thru the vitals. Seems like a no brainier to me but then I use Nosler partitions and hunt elk not try to snipe them in the next county. Mb

Damn it. I have 140gr ELD-X's loaded up for my cow elk hunt this season. I'm trying to remember what I used to kill my last two elk's (memory can't even go back that far). On the last elk (2 seasons ago) it was too dang hot to load in the garage so I just purchased 1 box of Federal Premium 168gr Berger Hybrid Hunters. The accuracy, speed and ballistics were so good, I purchased 3 more boxes. Anyway, she was 218 yards out; the shot was a frontal chest shot that exited the left shoulder. It blew out her lung and destroyed her shoulder. She went maybe 20 yards and expired.

So I consider the Berger a high frag bullet / low weight retention bullet and it still had enough to punch through the shoulder from the inside out.

For the member who said they took a 69 yard shot (I think it was) with a 7RM, initially, I would say the 7RM pushed those bullets so fast that at they didn't expand and penciled through the animal. But they also mentioned that there was not exit. No exit would lead me to believe the bullet stopped and expanded to some degree. So at less than 100 yards, an ELD-X traveling more than 2500+ fps at POI entered the animal, and stopped (probably on bone). idk. Elk are tough critters. I once shot one in the cheek from 100 yards out and the bullet deflected (150gr Hornady SST) and the second shot went into her eye socket.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
You can’t go wrong with the 168 vld. I have shot them out of a 7 mm ultra from 35 yds to 600yds there hasn’t been a survivor yet deer and elk.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
When ever I read where someone has given up on a bullet because it won't shoot, I think, they just haven't fully expended enough testing to get in to shoot. First thing, start with well prepped brass. Find the powder charge which gives the lowest ES/SD which is very important if one thinks/plans that a long shot might happen. Then, COAL test in .025" increments to shrink the group. You can, if you wish, COAL test down to .003" increments after the .025" testing. If your rifle does not shoot as accurately as you demand at this point, well, then in IMO, their is either something wrong with the rifle or the shooter.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Always fun to watch folks picking the flyshit out of the pepper.

IF repeat IF you are a hunter, you can kill any Elk that walks the earth with a 180 gr cup-n-core bullet from a red or green 30-06 factory ammo box.

"Minute of Elk" is about 18" and they don't have over the horizon radar.

If you cannot get within 300 yards, you need to go back to "how to hunt" school.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 1badf350, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.