Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Anyone familiar with Montana rifle company? I have a chance to trade into a fluted .338 WM 1999 model, weighs right at 8.5lbs....except I know nothing about them. It has a synthetic stock, who would they have used as OEM? Are they solid rifles, and what do they generally sell for? Thanks!

BP-B6

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Believe the company is no more. Out of business. Older ones probably better than new ones. Model 70 clones.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Why does this exact thread duplicate itself every three months?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jason280
Anyone familiar with Montana rifle company? I have a chance to trade into a fluted .338 WM 1999 model, weighs right at 8.5lbs....except I know nothing about them. It has a synthetic stock, who would they have used as OEM? Are they solid rifles, and what do they generally sell for? Thanks!

The one I had in 30-06 came with a McMillan. Mine was a special make-up specifically for Cabelas IIRC. For the most part MRC sold actions and bbl'd actions, not complete rifles.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Because the search function here pretty much sucks.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a .30-06 and the action was very rough. Not especially accurate. Stock was the plainest s piece of walnut I’ve ever seen.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in 7mm08. X2 model. Very accurate. Too heavy for my taste. Safety is very stiff. Seem to be many QC issues. Was a good option for lefties as they produced a lot of calibers in left hand versions. Hybrid between a M70 and a mauser action. I paid roughly $1400 for mine including
Having the barrel cut back at the factory from 24-22. A poor execution of a good idea where as their long wait times, QC issues and some customer service sunk them. Theres plenty of testimonials of great functioning rifles but plenty of disappointing ones for the number of rifles sold. No plans to sell the on I own at this time but its a back up rifle. In the early days they sold semi finished actions. I think a lot of them got used without finishing on rifle builds and got a bad rap for being rough. Regardless they had their issues. A lot of complaints of rifles weighing significantly more than MRC listed them at. Mine came in about 3/4s of a pound heavy. If mine weighed a pound less and had a bit slimmer forearm in the stock it wouldn't hurt my feeling any. Mine weighs about 8 lbs 4 ounces with a swaro AV on it if I recall. Thats about all I can tell you.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the information!

This one actually looks fairly decent, but not sure what kind of finish it has to the metal....maybe cerakote or something similar? Action is very smooth, and was supposedly pillar bedded by Hill Rifles. I actually like everything about the rifle, except the chambering....too bad it isn't in 7x57 or .280!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

This one actually looks fairly decent, but not sure what kind of finish it has to the metal....maybe cerakote or something similar? Action is very smooth, and was supposedly pillar bedded by Hill Rifles. I actually like everything about the rifle, except the chambering....too bad it isn't in 7x57 or .280!

Gunbroker is your friend, right now. Please buy this so I don't. I need another 7x57 like I need a hole in the head, but this one tempts me.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/898375630

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RevMike

Gunbroker is your friend, right now. Please buy this so I don't. I need another 7x57 like I need a hole in the head, but this one tempts me.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/898375630

A 7x57 in a synthetic stock just doesn't look right to me. Needs a classic walnut stock

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With all we know, it seems a bit risky to me. Count to ten, maybe a couple of times!🤔

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by blairvt
A 7x57 in a synthetic stock just doesn't look right to me. Needs a classic walnut stock

Agreed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
With all we know, it seems a bit risky to me. Count to ten, maybe a couple of times!🤔

I am a perfect candidate for a 12-Step program. I take rotten pictures, but if I can get a decent one of the rifle I just pick up from my BIL I'll post it. It's one of the Cabela Super Grade Featherweights with some really nice figure in the butt. He even threw in six boxes of ammo, which today is like getting about $150 off!!! laugh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Montana 1999 action is an excellent design with some slight improvements over the Winchester Model 70. Unfortunately, the fabrication of the Montana rifles was hit or miss, with poor QAQC and poor customer service exacerbating the situation. If you got a good one, it is a good rifle. If you got a bad one, then it was usually an uphill struggle to get MRC to fix the problems. And that latter option, even as poor as it was, no longer exists now that MRC has shut it doors.

The rifles are no lightweights, but are perfectly appropriate for the big boomer cartridges where a little extra mass is appreciated.

Montana X3 in 26 Nosler

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Because the search function here pretty much sucks.

Or because people don't want to search, they want an easy answer right now.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Any ideas on who they used for barrels on the 1999 rifles?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any ideas on who they used for barrels on the 1999 rifles?

I believe I read once they made their own.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I like mine. Lefty X2 in 280 Rem. I bought it to carry, but too heavy for that. It has proved to be a good stand rifle, and shoots most loads well. Safety is crappy, but everything else works as it should. No feeding or extracting issues, and the action is the nicest I own. Picture below was taken in heavy sleet, and this type of weather is where I really like the X2 for obvious reasons. 154 grain Interlock in front of H4350 works just fine.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Nollij
I like mine. Lefty X2 in 280 Rem. I bought it to carry, but too heavy for that. It has proved to be a good stand rifle, and shoots most loads well. Safety is crappy, but everything else works as it should. No feeding or extracting issues, and the action is the nicest I own. Picture below was taken in heavy sleet, and this type of weather is where I really like the X2 for obvious reasons. 154 grain Interlock in front of H4350 works just fine.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice buck. Cool picture!

Semper Fi

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 78 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,778
Posts18,401,620
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.