Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
How many here use those red dot or holo style sights on an hunting rifle? It seems popular in euro driven hunts but probably has wider applications. Anyone a red dot hunter?

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I try to be but they really don’t do anything ghost rings don’t do. For me they aren’t as fast as XS ghost rings.

My opinion is they work great for well lit hours, close range, shooting hogs and does.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/16/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
How many here use those red dot or holo style sights on an hunting rifle? It seems popular in euro driven hunts but probably has wider applications. Anyone a red dot hunter?

I've used them and really dig em for 100 yards and in.

Only thing of note I've shot besides coyotes and does, was a coues buck with a Tasco red dot way out front scout style on a 375 win mauser. In my opinion nothing faster for follow ups if you need em. Though, no flies on ghost rings and they are a lot simpler. My pistol cal marlins wear ghost rings and red dots.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put one on a 30-30 single shot for my son.

It's been good for him

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I want to carry one as places here can be thick. John Barness mentioned using 30-06 with 200gr Partitions in NW Montana N Idaho area and this is what i was going for. Something fast and handy at close to moderate ranges.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I've had a first generation red dot on one of my "kids" rifles for about 25-years - has a very sloppy (by today's standards) 2-moa dot - on a mod 95 Mauser in 250 Sav, it's sighted dead-on at 35-yards with nice little half-inch groups that expand to about 3-inches at a 100-yards. This is a woods rifle for youngsters, but it's killed a sh_t load of deer over the years. So yes, it's a functional sighting system but certainly has its limitations. I might add, it's the easiest sighting system I've ever used to hit moving/running game because you have both eyes open and focused at the target and if you can see the dot you're in business - no centering or alignment hassles looking through the tube.

Last edited by Offshoreman; 04/17/21.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve tried them on about everything and what they stay on really depends on stock height and cheek weld. They are usually about 1 3//4” - 2” above center bore on most rifles and I just don’t like nothing that high on a levergun.

My XS on a levergun are about 3/4” above center bore on a Marlin 30-30 while my scope configuration is about 1 1/4”.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/18/21.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I put an early Aimpoint on my (old, original) Ruger.44 mag carbine around 1986 or 1987. I used it on that a couple of years, among other things, killed the heaviest wt buck I ever killed with it. I then put it on a 20” 12 gauge Ithaca Deerslayer. At that time, we were still traveling to a shotgun only area annually. It worked well for me, also worked well for a friend who killed some deer with it. When he returned the gun to me he was absolutely delighted by it. “Just put that dot on ‘em and, bang, down they go,” he told me. After that, I used it on a 10-22 for a while. Now I have a Bushnell Holosight on an AR, but haven’t really done much with it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

V
V
I run one on my turkey gun and duck gun. Also swap one out often on an AR-10 for hogs. Lots of fun. I started my kids out with them so they get used to shooting with both eyes open.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple laying around here and am finding it hard to find an application for them where they excel. They mount way too high on rifles for me, leaving my head bobbing around trying to find them. Same on my combo guns with no advantage over a low mounted 1-4x20mm scope. I have one on my 870 for close in work on coyotes in dedicated shotgun zones and with some build up on the comb seems to be working, I do want to try one of the mini holo-sights on it one of these days.

The one aplication that I found it to work very well for me is on my bow, with a short focusing problem a string peep-sight is useless for me and I have found that a holo-sight with crosshair and circle reticle works very well using the different points of the crosshair and intersection with the circle for different distance aiming points.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have XS ghost ring sights on or as back-up on 6 rifles. Some of these 6 rifles that I use for driven game hunts also have red dots with QR bases. The ghost ring sights are very fast but the red dot is just a smidge faster. Even though your eye quickly centers the top of the front sight in the ghost ring aperture, as was mentioned in a post above about a red dot, you just put the dot where you want the bullet and squeeze the trigger. Not much brain action required there. RJ

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The finer aiming point is nice as distance grows. Training generally overcomes small advantages one way or the other. Low light performance is the exception. A good illuminated lpvo wins out there.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use them on online muzzleloaders for our late doe season. Because of my astigmatism I can't see iron sights very well and they only allow 1x scopes and I never found one I liked because the cross hairs were so thick at 100 yards. Red dot is the ticket and works very well. I've been a fan of the ff3 but just bought two of the sig sauer Romeo 5 sights on sale for about half the cost of the Burris. Reviews were off the charts from people who loved them. I figured at 129 a pop it was worth it. Haven't shot them yet but they sure look and feel top notch. I should buy one or two more just to have in case.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I use a Burris Fastfire3 on my Marlin 1895 in 45/70. It's my only rifle fitted with a red dot. I prefer to use it because I need super quick target acquisition when hunting pigs in very heavy cover - in situations where fractions of a second count.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When the scope on my crossbow crapped the day before the season opened last year, I stuck a Sparc 2 on it as a quick fix, and carried it for about a month. I zeroed it at 30 and figured out the hold for 40, and never felt handicapped compared to hunting with a scope, except the view is a bit dimmer and even a low-power scope allows you to see stuff in the path of your arrow you might miss through the dot sight. I finally found a scope to replace the dud, and prefer it somewhat over the Sparc, but don’t really shoot any better with it.

I’ve played with a bunch of red dots and within 100 yards can do some pretty good shooting with them if you don’t count tiny groups. I have several prism sights in use now, and where their limited eye relief isn't a problem, I prefer them. The view is brighter and clearer, and with the illumination turned off the aiming points are very sharp and clear because they can be focused.

Still prefer good scopes over either.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
712 members (10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.