-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Proof Research Elevation or Seekins Havak Element. I have my first cans waiting on stamps to clear and want an all weather, light weight, suppressor ready deer woods rifle.

I’m interested in a .308 Win chambering for either rifle with a 20” barrel Elevation or 21” Havak Element. I like that Seekins uses a detachable box mag over the Elevation blind mag but that’s a minor personal preference. Overall they both seem close to what I’m looking for. I’d like to handle them side by side before buying but I doubt that will be possible.

Anybody have any first hand insights, likes or dislikes? Or preferences how they handle? I’m sure that there both great rifles but trying to decide between the two.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I just picked up a Seekins Havak PH in 6.5 Manbun looking forward to ringing her out.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The proof uses better components such as their stock and the proof barrel. The Origin action is great. The Seekins has a dbm, yes, but uses a button rock creek barrel and a polymer stock. However, there is quite a price difference between the 2. For a closer price comparison, you'd have to look at the Havak Element. I'd love an element, just because I prefer dbms these days.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Those are the two that I’m interested in the Proof Elevation and Seekins Havak Element. They’re within a couple of hundred dollars of each other. I’m leaning slightly towards the Elevation but would really like to handle them both in person or at least here some other experiences before making a decision.

J
J
I own the Elevation in 6.5 Creedmoor and use a Proof barrels on two other rifles. I honestly do not know much about the Havak aside from seeing it around online. What sold me on my Elevation was how well my other proof barrels shoot. I played around with the idea and priced out a few new custom builds. It's almost hard to get a well built custom done for under $4K. As the person above mentioned, it has an Origin action, proof barrel and a trigger tech trigger. Your getting some great components for the price.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a chance about a year ago to play around with an Elevation in 6.5 CM and really liked it, only had one day at the range with it but it shot plenty good and I really like their lightweight stock. Proof then said they would be building a Elevation in 7MM-08 so I waited for one but they never did build them that I know of so I build a "faux Elevation". The Proof stock is really nice IMHO especially for a dedicated lightweight hunting rifle.

The Seekins is nice but entirely different stock design on that one.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've not handled either of them but shoot a Havak PH2 and in the past shot a PH1.

Just looking at the specs, the Element is going to be ~ 1/2lb lighter.

Actions: Havak is lightweight aluminum. PR is coated chromoly.

Rails: both come with 20moa rails, I believe the Havak's is part of the action and has a level.

Barrels: 21" spiral fluted stainless vs 20" PR cf wrapped, both threaded

Stocks: both lightweight cf. Element is going to be a little thicker, PR is going to be more traditional. The thicker stock might be the biggest downside to the Element for me when being carried in hand.

I would guess the balance point on the Element is going to be more forward than the balance point on the PR. That would probably push me to the Element.

I believe Seekins products come with a "it will shoot to your satisfaction" guarantee.

They both look like solid products but I think I'd favor the Seekins.

J
J
I should have mentioned it in my original reply but my 6.5 Elevation has been shooting pretty stellar just with factory ammo. My shooting has been postponed some with the uhhhhh state of ammo lol. It really likes the 140gr ELDM. Definitely a 1/2 moa gun if all do all my crap right.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a couple Elevations and they do shoot incredibly well.

Just a thought on your desire for a detachable mag. Proof makes the Elevation MTR (Mountain Tactical Rifle) that comes with a detachable mag. It runs $100 more than the standard. I own both and it’s a very nice option.

Last edited by JohnChilds; 04/22/21.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the replies guys.

Childs I’m leaning towards the standard hunting rifle stock but didn’t realize that the MTR stock version is sold with a detachable mag.

I’m going to have to take a day off and go handle a few. I’m leaning towards the Proof Research but I see that the Origin action is going to be made from stainless steel starting in the fall. Depending on how late this fall I might wait until then to get the stainless action.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
It's already cerakoated and as hard and weather resistant as can be. I live in Oregon so I get to hunt some pretty soggy days, and I've had zero issues with any of these Elevations. I've got 3 of them presently, but a 6.5 Creedmoor in the standard has really become my go to rifle. I killed 2 elk and a couple deer with it last year, and every time I leave the house it tends to follow me out the door anymore. I put a Deadair Nomad Ti on it, and its wicked light and quiet. Just about a perfect hunting rifle!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.