Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Didn’t draw a Montana tag this year so trying to find another hunt for the year. Hunting the sika during the “roar” has always intrigued me. Looking to hunt with a muzzleloader. Has any one ever done this? If so, what do I need besides some waders!!!??? It’s my understanding it’s an over the counter tag.

SLAP
GB1

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not in MD but I hunted them a couple of times on Chincoteague Wildlife Refuge in VA when I was stationed there. One of the areas I drew on the refuge butted right up to the MD line. There is literally a 3 strand fence that marks the border. They are fun to hunt and you will get wet doing it. They aren't very big. You will be lucky to get one that weighs more than 60 lbs on the hoof. In VA if you draw the tag for Chincoteague you can take 5, either sex, on the permit. MD may have OTC tags but VA didn't.

I'd hunt them again if the chance ever comes around but I doubt you will ever find me on the east coast again.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It is an over the counter tag....Just buy you MD license....Thousands of acres of public land is available to hunt including Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge....Outfitters are scarce....Several have lost their leases from the land being sold....October is the best month to hunt them, they do rut in October....Waders or hip boots would be what I'd wear....My opinion is the early muzzleloader season is the best time to hunt them which is normally Thursday through Saturday of the 3rd week in October....I'll help you all I can....PM me if you'd like with your number and I can fill you in on more....I live in MD, I've hunted them since the 1980....Bugs and mosquitos can be real bad, buy a therma cell if you don't have one.

Last edited by Sika_; 04/19/21.

Don't pick the fruit until it's ripe "Primal Dreams"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Blackwater National wildlife refuge does have special hunts on the draw system....check their website.

Sika info is spot on.....great advise.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It seems they get a good bit larger in Britain for some reason. I’ve seen some on the Tube that really look like miniature elk. Big ones go up to about 150lbs. Very dark too.

Not a fan of swamps and the Eastern Shore has hopefully seen the last of me after umpty-ump trips to settle my father’s affairs. They grow so monster whitetails over there too, if you can find a place to hunt them.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This might help. Also, if you go, you can shoot 2 or 10 Whitetails while you're there, but you can only take 1 buck during this time. These dates are for 2020, so this year early ML will be Oct. 21, 22, & the 23rd. The week after is Whitetail Doe only with a ML. Depending on which county you're in, you may be able to hunt on Sunday for a couple of Whitetail doe. I've always wanted to shoot one of them little rat bastards but never got down there for it. Have fun, I hear it's a blast.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/deer-seasons-bag-limits/

Last edited by StoneCutter; 04/20/21.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for all of the info guys.

Sika- really hoping to hunt the early muzzleloader season. I have a couple buddies that we are thinking of making a guys trip for a long weekend. I shot you a pm with my #

Thanks all!!

SLAP
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pappy348
It seems they get a good bit larger in Britain for some reason. I’ve seen some on the Tube that really look like miniature elk. Big ones go up to about 150lbs. Very dark too.

Yeah they get bigger elsewhere, but they are quite tasty anywhere! I have hunted them during the 'roar' and believe me the 'roar' isn't very loud, especially to my old damaged ears, but its still neat to see them crane their necks and let one out. This one is from Texas, last fall...and he went 160 on the hoof.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ingwe; 04/20/21.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
...and no hipboots required!

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I think that sole reason has me the most concerned. I’ve never hunted in essentially a marsh before.

SLAP
IC B3

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My understanding is that the variation in size has a great deal to do with what subspecies of the Sika Deer (Cervus Nippon) one is dealing with.

They are an interesting animal. The guide / stalker I hunted with in the highlands of Scotland was far more exited to hunt Sika than Red Stag.

Hopefully your planned hunt goes well and you can share a great story with us here at the 24 HCF

Last edited by GRF; 04/21/21.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I ran a camp off hip roof rd. In cambridge county for a few years. You need hip boots ,a headlight , a comfortable climbing tree stand, and most importantly the strongest unscented bug repellant you can stand. A thermocell may be better but I never used them. During rut they are active all day runnning around so comfort is important. Quiet rain gear may be needed , its damp as can be there so any extra water is miserable. If you have any other questions PM me

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for all of the advice guys!

SLAP
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
To those of you that have hunted the marsh, is it actually huntable or should I look to hunt the “woods”? Been looking at a lot of maps and such and a lot of areas are labeled marsh. Is this an area I can walk in or do I need a canoe to paddle through it? Sorry for being a newbie. Just trying to maximize some online scouting efforts.

SLAP
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
They LIVE in the marsh, unfortunately....so do a LOT of mosquitoes.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by benchman
They LIVE in the marsh, unfortunately....so do a LOT of mosquitoes.

The mosquitoes in the prime Sika deer marshes around the Black Water Refuge are a big as B-17.....ask me how i know. My first bow hunting trip to Black Water Refuge was painful.

A little know aspect of Sika deer hunting is when the shallow marshes freeze in January the Sika deer have to move to solid ground which is limited.....a real turkey shoot i tell ya.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
MeatEater did a segment on hunting Sika deer. I believe it was with muzzleloaders and they used calls. Worth looking into. It certainly is a different kind of a hunt!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
give it hell Slap . do get the therma cell . I have never hunted away from water .if I had to hunt now with out one I would stay home

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I’m thinking my chest waders and my thermacell will be my most important pieces of equipment on this hunt for sure!!!

SLAP
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Chestwader, thermacell, plastic sled and harness, climber, and gps. Plastic sled makes it easy to float things in and out. A walking stick is also helpful. I used to use a hockey stick.
Remember to recalibrate your gps when you turn it on or you'll be walking in circles. Cell service is spotty.
Get on edge of frag grass and woods. Or grass marsh and flooded timber. Anchor them in place or they could disappear. They're like ghosts.
Thermacell!! I had mosquitoes try to drain me when it was snowing! Don't miss that constant buzzing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.