Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Will only comment that I've spent time with Phil Shoemaker during the peak of the late-summer gathering of BIG brown bears in his part of Alaska--which according to the state biologists has the highest seasonal concentration of brown bears in the entire state. If you DON'T see a bear while fishing, it's unusual.

We had a few close encounters, the most up-close and personal when some nitwit flyfishing tourist woman actually chased a big female brown bear downstream, shouting at the bear to stop, so she could take a photo with her compact camera. Eventually the woman ran out of gas--about the time the bear disappeared into the thick willows and alders behind me and Phil. We stood very still, listening to the bear moving through the brush, and as the sounds neared us Phil drew both his revolver and can of bear spray, holding one in each hand.

The bear emerged from the brush maybe 15 feet away, and upon spotting us stopped and angled its head down and to our left. We stood very still, and within a lifetime or two the bear eventually turned back into the brush and headed away. Phil later told me that if the bear had lifted it's head directly at us, it would have charged--the reason he was 2-handed ready.

Would the bear have been stopped by bear spray, or the handgun? Dunno--and neither does Phil. But I would bet he has seen far more charging brown bears than anybody who has so far posted on this thread, and also has stopped more of them, not only with a 9mm mini-handgun but rifles from .30-06 up to .505 Gibbs. And bear spray.

His experience not only involves guiding bear hunters, but several months of guiding fishing clients on exactly the sort of bear-crowded, brush-bordered streams I just described If he has enough confidence to carry bear spray, along with a firearm, then I feel kinda okay with doing so too. Which is exactly what I do in Montana--where I've encountered far more grizzlies than most of the posters here.

I agree, there can be a time and place for both bear spray and a firearm.

I prefer having a short barrel, pistolgriped 12 gauge slung over my back when busting through creekside brush while fishing in Alaska.

I also find a huge difference between coastal Alaskan Brown Bears and the Grizzlies in Montana.

Alaska's Brown Bears are most often chilled, laid back and could give a schit about your presents.
Montana's Grizzlies on the other hand are seemingly always pizzed off and looking for a fight if you get within a 100 yards of them.

Food source is probably the difference, Alaska's Coastal bears are fat and full of the endless supply of spawning Salmon while Montana's bears spend their days scratching for huckleberries in attempt to get their bellies full.

Whatever the true reason be, Montana's Grizzlies just seem to have a bad attitude all the time.

If I'd shot every Brown Bear in Alaska that I've had close encounters with the River banks where I spend my time fishing would be carpeted with bear hide.

There is a time and place for everything, especially good judgment and having fair knowledge of the animals in the areas you frequent.

If a man is scared of the sight of a bear, he probably shouldn't be fishing Alaska.

This is one of the last legally killed Montana Grizzlies prior to the hunting of them being shut down.

It wasn't a can of bear spray that put him in this condition either.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Ohhh. That don't look good.

Appears something like throwing out the anchor and looking down at the line winding around your leg. smile

Yep, just like.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by callnum
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
If the bear is close enough to be sprayed with bear spray, you ought to have already put 2-3 rounds into it. smile

You are wasting valuable seconds only to find out it won't work...

No doubt!

You two rocket surgeons have a lot of experience around grizzlies down there in Texas? LOL

My guess is other than a zoo neither of you have ever laid eyes on one.

I imagine you run across a lot of grizzlies cleaning bathroom stalls at lucky Lils . Never hiked more than a 100 yards from a paved parking lot and you're suddenly a grizzly expert lmao

Ya if you were scared driving that snow plowed road last winter you would crap when you finally see a grizzly.

LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
If you're walking up on a spring bear guarding a carcass, I'm thinking something like bear spray or even a pistol might not be much help.

Damned right!

Carry a big rock...
crazy

wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Some people are good at writing stories

Lmao

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
You never know, more than one armed person has been taken out before they could fire a round. I keep my sidearm in a retention holster so maybe I have a chance if I get attacked and rolled around on the ground.

Yes..correct.... I have had only one close encounter with a grizzly.. (brown?).... I posted this quite a while back but some may find pertinent to SN's comment:

I had been fishing on the Kenai and Russian Rivers in Alaska for a couple of days. I duly noted how many of the fishermen I encountered were carrying pistols. One day I decided to fish further upstream on the Russian. I came to an area where the river made a wide bend and I cut across this huge meadow to save some time. Nice sunny day about 10:00..... a guide from a previous trip had told that if I fished the up the Russian, I needed to be off the river well before dusk to avoid the bears.... right... OK.... I started across .... the grass was quite high.. almost up to my waist..... Wind was blowing gently across and as I cut across, I noticed the wind made the grass sway like waves.....All was ok....I had my lunch, my fly rod and my pistol in a chest holster inside my waders..... so far so good...

Then I noticed that there was a "disturbance" in the "waves" and something was not right.... then all of a sudden ... I mean right sudden quick the surprised bear stood up.... There he was, about 20 feet away.... and there I was with my fly rod in my right hand and my pistol in the holster. I knew in an instant that the bear had a decision to make.... and I didn't. If he had come at me, there would not have much to do ......except pray that I could get a hand on my pistol while he was shaking and batting me around.....

But, the bear just stood there and so did I....a few seconds passed..... he began to look a bit nervous... he was a young adult.... then he dropped to all fours and ambled off to the river. Whew!

Things can happen very fast and I quickly realized I was not as well prepared as I thought I was.

I had been planning another trip up there this summer, but it now is not gonna happen....already bought a `10mm.... and have a holster that keeps it above my waders... almost up to my chin..... "Inside the wader carry" now seems just plain stupid.

btw... I fished with a young but pretty much savvy Alaskan who carried a 45 ACP in a chest holster. I asked about his choice of pistols.... He said.... "I can hit with it and will shoot until the bear drops or decides he doesn't want to get shot anymore." He told how his father was walking their dog one afternoon and got attacked by a grizzly..... he killed it with that same pistol.

Last edited by TF49; 04/19/21. Reason: spel

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I wonder how effective it would work on baboons.
The ones in Africa or Minnesota?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
If the bear is close enough to be sprayed with bear spray, you ought to have already put 2-3 rounds into it. smile

You are wasting valuable seconds only to find out it won't work...

No doubt!

You two rocket surgeons have a lot of experience around grizzlies down there in Texas? LOL

My guess is other than a zoo neither of you have ever laid eyes on one.

So tell us Heavy Goose, what's your experience in the deep dark woods?

Which state would you like to hear about? Alaska, Montana, Idaho or Wyoming? Been around them in all 4.

Lol, sure you have.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I feel a lot safer in bear country if my 2 dogs are with me. They are bird dogs but have been around enough bears that they will let me know if something is around. They would have no chance against a bear but would tell me. The 1 dog has chased a few black bears out of the yard and hope she never chases one that wont run.. I would prefer a shotgun with slugs or a hunting rifle. I do carry a 629 as a minimum, my wife carries bear spray. She has pistols to carry but seldom does. When she reads about this attack in the local paper she will be nervous again taking her daily walks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA

I also find a huge difference between coastal Alaskan Brown Bears and the Grizzlies in Montana.

Alaska's Brown Bears are most often chilled, laid back and could give a schit about your presents.
Montana's Grizzlies on the other hand are seemingly always pizzed off and looking for a fight if you get within a 100 yards of them.

Food source is probably the difference, Alaska's Coastal bears are fat and full of the endless supply of spawning Salmon while Montana's bears spend their days scratching for huckleberries in attempt to get their bellies full.

Whatever the true reason be, Montana's Grizzlies just seem to have a bad attitude all the time.

This aligns with my experience. I, along with several biologists I have talked to have always guessed it was the amount of food (or lack thereof), but for whatever reason MT/WY/ID grizzlies and I presume those in southern interior Canada are way more aggressive than coastal brown bears, and even interior Alaska grizzlies.

I wouldn't go kick a coastal bear in the nuts or anything, but they're not in the same league as the lower 48 mountain bears when it comes to aggressiveness.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TF49
I have had only one close encounter with a grizzly.. (brown?).... I posted this quite a while back but some may find pertinent to SN's comment:

I had been fishing on the Kenai and Russian Rivers in Alaska for a couple of days.

That would have been a Coastal Alaskan Brown Bear or Ursus Arctos by my definition anyway.

The way I see the difference is a Brown Bear either lives coastal or migrates to coastal rivers or streams for the summer Salmon run.
Salmon make up the bulk of their diet.

Inland Alaskan Grizzlies make no attempt to exclusively feed on Salmon, their diet consists of the various things all bears might eat including a little Salmon they find in the inland streams.

They are all omnivorous and all the same family.

Boone and Crockett defines the differences by region and geographical lines for record keeping since they have different categories for both.

If looked at closely their definition makes little sense and also makes it obvious why their record book Grizzlies come from where they do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

This aligns with my experience. I, along with several biologists I have talked to have always guessed it was the amount of food (or lack thereof), but for whatever reason MT/WY/ID grizzlies and I presume those in southern interior Canada are way more aggressive than coastal brown bears, and even interior Alaska grizzlies.

I wouldn't go kick a coastal bear in the nuts or anything, but they're not in the same league as the lower 48 mountain bears when it comes to aggressiveness.

I think what most often skews the opinion of most novices and some that consider themselves experienced or even experts when it comes to Grizzlies is that 99% of their encounters with bears have been in parks or other similar enviroments where the bears have become conditioned to people.

Wild bears don't act like park bears.

In my opinion lower 48 park bears are some of the most dangerous bears on earth because they are totally unpredictable.
They can go from posing for the camera to tearing you a new azz in a heartbeat.

Add a food cache to the picture and there is sure to be an issue.

Majority of the times you have a encounter with a Grizzly the bear has been aware of you long before you became aware of it being in the area. This always gives the bear the upper hand with the encounter, you can bank on that.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Bear Spray is for making the libtards feel good about themselves. It is useless much like they are.

NRA Endowment Member
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
[.[/quote] I agree, there can be a time and place for both bear spray and a firearm.

I prefer having a short barrel, pistolgriped 12 gauge slung over my back when busting through creekside brush while fishing in Alaska.

If I'd shot every Brown Bear in Alaska that I've had close encounters with the River banks where I spend my time fishing would be carpeted with bear hide.

There is a time and place for everything, especially good judgment and having fair knowledge of the animals in the areas you frequent.

If a man is scared of the sight of a bear, he probably shouldn't be fishing Alaska.

This is one of the last legally killed Montana Grizzlies prior to the hunting of them being shut down.

It wasn't a can of bear spray that put him in this condition either.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quote]

JeffA,

Thanks for your comments. I agree about the effect of food sources on various grizzly/brown bears, and have mentioned that factor several times in various magazine articles and books.

I was born and raised and live in Montana, and encountered my first grizzly at age eight. Have encountered so many since that I can't count all of them, but would disagree that "Montana's Grizzlies just seem to have a bad attitude all the time."

That has not been my experience, and in fact have been bluff-charged more by Alaskan brown bears than grizzlies in Montana. So far neither my companions or I have had to shoot any Montana grizzlies, either with a firearm or spray-can, and the encounters have included bears from the Bob Marshall and surrounding wilderness areas to those encountered while pheasant hunting near St. Ignatius in the Flathead Valley. It's somewhat startling when your Labrador flushes a grizzly instead of a rooster--and yes, some people have been charged and mauled in those situations. Luckily I was not.

I've also spent considerable time in Glacier Park, including a week with its "bear rangers" some years ago doing an assignment for a major national magazine. During the week saw several bears, including one hanging out near the back-country chalet where a ranger and I stayed, something they closely monitor. Eventually the bear ranger and I found the reason the boar hung around was a mountain goat carcass it had been feeding on, 100 yards from one of the main trails. During our discovery, the bear came out on the trail between me and the ranger, only a few feet away--then looked at both of us once, and turned back off the trail.

The next I got to accompany several rangers while they "hunted" the bear with a tranquilizer gun. The most interesting part occurred after the bear was darted, whereupon it dived into the nearby brush. The drug's effect last at most half an hour, and the time was getting close to that before we found the bear lying in a small clearing. When one of the rangers poked it from behind with his slug gun, the bear roared, rolled over and bit the barrel--but luckily wasn't "awake" enough to stand up. He received another dart, and I got to photograph a helicopter hovering overhead to fly the bear away to a more remote part of the park. (There's more to that story, involving a tourists' lost toy poodle....)

Anyway, my experience has been with a variety of Montana grizzlies, including park bears, wilderness bears and those very conditioned to humans, in the lower country near mountains. For the past 31 years I have lived in a southwestern Montana valley. Grizzlies started showing up in the mountains on the west side of the valley in the 90s, because unknown to the public they were "trouble bears" being dropped off in a wilderness study area. When people started reporting them, officials first claimed they had to be brown-phase black bears--but then some of the bears got photographed, and were definitely grizzlies, whereupon the truth came out. (Even then, however, the officials claimed all the transplants were male, so they wouldn't reproduce. Then, of course, somebody got a photo of one of those "male" bears with 3 cubs. )

Lately grizzlies have also started showing up in the mountains on the east side of the valley. My wife and I have fished and hunted the mountains on both sides of the valley a lot, and haven't had an encounter with a bad-attitude grizzly yet. But that doesn't mean we're not prepared, and not just with bear spray but firearms from handguns on up. In fact a couple years ago I purchased a 16-gauge drilling with an 8x57 rifle barrel to hunt local upland birds, both in the mountains and in the valley, because I am sure that like the Flathead Valley some grizzlies will eventually end up in the local pheasant cover.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our daughter and SIL were in Yellowstone a few years back. SIL dutifully bought and carried bear spray. A ranger came by and warned them that a mother bear with cubs was nearby, so the SIL removed the safety tab on his bear spray and put it in his oversized front shorts pocket.

Nobody saw the bear, but my SIL insists he was eaten alive... cry cry cry... laugh

"Chances Will Be Taken"

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I am out in the bushes, which is everyday, I don't go anywhere without the rifle or 12ga, no bear spray here, although it is a good idea.
A firearm is the only tool that puts you back on top of the food chain, not bear spray.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Dude was supposedly an anti bear hunt activist.

I know this was a situation of being too close to a cache, and not just happening onto it but some of the comments here are willfully ignorant. I have been humbled a few times as to how close a grizzly can get before you know he's there. Getting a couple shots off beforehand, even if your rifle is on your body isn't always feasible, if you're ready for it or not.

Got any proof that he was anti bear hunting activist, he was a guide and a hunter from what I find.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 673
When I am out in the bushes, which is everyday, I don't go anywhere without the rifle or 12ga, no bear spray here, although it is a good idea.
A firearm is the only tool that puts you back on top of the food chain, not bear spray.

British Columbia, eh?
I spent a summer way out in the woods in BC, up near Manson Creek. We were riding horses into the wild and camping out. There are lots of grizzlies up there.
We didn't see any thank God all we had was a 20gauge/22 LR over under gun from Savage. We were naive kids from Georgia and lucky not to have a run in with a bear.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
If you're walking up on a spring bear guarding a carcass, I'm thinking something like bear spray or even a pistol might not be much help.

Yep, a revolver...Shoot the bear five times then yourself once. LOL

You forgot the “file off the front sight”.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

Yep, a revolver...Shoot the bear five times then yourself once. LOL

You forgot the “file off the front sight”.

I used a revolver on a bear that came in on a Moose killed and it worked to perfection and only 2 shot required

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.