Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by duck911
I believe I read that Hoover Dam will not have enough water backed up to generate power in Sept, 2022.

What happens to places like Vegas then? Think about millions of people in civilized society without potable water. Might make Minneapolis look like summer camp.

What happens is Las Vegas keeps drawing water. The Water Authority recently completed a 3rd straw intake that is well below the dead pool water elevation. So, none can flow downstream but we can keep drawing and recycling.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hasn’t rained here in a week and a half or so. Ditch at the end of the drive way still flowing. 🤪

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Here on the North Coast we have 65% of all the fresh water in the world flowing leisurely past our doors, and no you can't have any. smile

Talk about making up numbers

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Rivers, salmon, dams, politicians, Indians, Warren Buffet. Who knows what these sons of bitches are plotting, with the dam removal program. Follow the money. I DO know when drought hits, ice cold water is drawn off the bottom of the dam and released into the river to lower fish mortality...take out the dams? I DO know that hydro power is clean and renewable...take out the dams?
I DO know that Irongate dam hatchery on the Klamath has been very successful since 1919 when the dams were built....take out the dams? I DO know that flood control and irrigation are positive forces for the economy...take out the dams? I DO know that a hundred years of silt accumulation will have some serious consequences...take out the dams? I'm waiting to hear the pro's for dam removal...you don't need a biology degree to see the cons.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dry as hell out there( I am from the west) and yet they still keep building golf courses, in the desert!

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
We got several inches of snow the last few days so that will help. nearby lakes and rivers all low.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's been getting dryer and hotter for a long time here in the shadow of the Sierras, about the last 40 years or so. We've seen the hottest summers on record year after year, setting new records almost every year.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Well...it is a desert after all.

Weird how they are always surprised.

Yup.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Our idaho republican senator is busy trying to remove 4 dams on the lower snake or Columbia. I think it's to help the salmon. Seems like reservoirs aren't a terrible idea with climate change and all.

Bb
Simpson is a congressman, not a senator. He's outlived his usefulness. The problem is that he can't get primaried because they never have anyone decent running against him.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Our idaho republican senator is busy trying to remove 4 dams on the lower snake or Columbia. I think it's to help the salmon. Seems like reservoirs aren't a terrible idea with climate change and all.

Bb

Not that I support taking those out, but those four are regulatory reservoirs, not storage. Used to slow down flood stage, provide for barge transportation, and electrical generation.

Removing them would not have a large impact on the water woes downstream. It would impact other things, like wheat transportation off the Palouse, and Bonneville Power rates.

It might help the salmon and steelhead runs though. Until they get to the Columbia that is. But, at least then they only have a 300 or so mile swim to the ocean, instead of a 400 mile one.

Getting rid of 10,000 sea lions would go a lot farther in solving the salmon problem. It's estimated that they eat 50,000 lb of salmon PER DAY. The Marine Mammals Act was llike the Wild Horse Act. A bunch of do-gooders who had no foresight ran laws through congress with no sunset clauses. They didn't consider what would happen when their save-the-animals bills were successful and the populations just kept growing.

― George Orwell

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
What does sea lion taste like?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chicken?

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Removing them would not have a large impact on the water woes downstream. It would impact other things, like wheat transportation off the Palouse, and Bonneville Power rates.
There was a situation a few years ago when the spring runoff had all the dams running at peak power production, enough to fill the grid and them some. They shut down all the windmills for a few weeks because the grid couldn't handle that much power. Normally when a company over produces something and can't sell it all, they pull in, lay off, and wait it out. Not in this case. The Bonneville Power Admin. paid the windmill owners for the power that they weren't producing. Your tax money at work.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We've already had at least 13 wildfires in Utah this year. Gonna be an ugly, ugly summer.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Here on the North Coast we have 65% of all the fresh water in the world flowing leisurely past our doors, and no you can't have any. smile

Talk about making up numbers

Nothing made up.

Ever hear of the Great Lakes?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've said for years now that water is a national security issue and we should treat it as such.

not in the sense of rationing, but in the sense of capture, diverting and desalinizing to meet the nation's needs for agriculture and residential growth.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Up here there was a low snow pack, now it hasn't rained or snowed in a couple months. It warm and windy, we broke a temp record on April 15th by 6 degree's. Rivers and lakes are way down.

The bush is really dry now, that and the fact that the forest mgt has been bungled. The millions of acres of dead and dry timber is going to burn, leaving People to run for their lives...again.

The hippies and freaks wont allow proper measures to be taken to mitigate forest fires, more backward thinking.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A young friend told me the world will run out of fresh water before oil.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Played by Christian Bale in the movie adaptation of Michael Lewis’s The Big Short (2015), Michael Burry is famous for having called time on the subprime lending market years before anybody else – profiting hugely in the process. Yet, the film’s sting in the tail comes just before the credits, as a quote flicks up on the screen noting that nowadays:

This may seem surprising. But the Western world is slowly drinking itself dry. Think of a cup of coffee. A delicious cup of Joe requires 140 litres of water to travel from bush to table. That’s nothing compared to beef though, which requires 15,415 litres per kg[1], about the same as a single T-bone steak. Or if you flip it around, it takes roughly the water from two Olympic swimming pools to produce the meat from just one (largish) cow. All this consumption, from our morning coffees and steak dinners to the showers we have, means that the average American alone uses 575 litres of water a day.

For a planet that’s 71% covered in water, the gap between clean, accessible freshwater (less than 1%) and all the other types, however, is stark. Agriculture and food take up 69% of the world’s water resources. And this is set to only grow, both as a response to population growth, as the world hits 9.7 billion in 2050[2], and the increased wealth of that population, whose rise out of poverty leads to a demand for more ‘luxury’ foods, such as meat.

This continually increasing need will draw on aquifers that have been in decline since 2003, especially in areas of the world where water scarcity is already an issue. NASA has discovered that 21 of 37 of the world’s aquifers are currently being depleted[3]. Other freshwater sources, although not being drained are rapidly becoming polluted beyond repair. The Chinese government, for instance, admits that roughly 80% of the country’s surface groundwater is not fit for drinking, 90% of groundwater in urban areas is contaminated, and that 40% of its rivers are too polluted to use for either agricultural or industrial use. Jacques Cousteau long ago pointed out that, “water and air, the two essential fluids on which all life depends, have become global garbage cans.”

https://www.killik.com/the-edit/why-michael-burry-is-investing-in-water/

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Colorado has no problem sucking down water for golf courses and new home developments that require blue grass.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

556 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,851
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.