Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I use old candles or canning wax. I dip so it works great.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Any of you fellas got a few minutes and are willing to learn something....here ya go!

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_4_Fluxing.htm

Excellent read DD. I have plans to fire up the pot sometime this weekend so I'll have to try sawdust. I work at a wood shop so this shouldn't be a problem. I'm also a beekeeper so I have lots of beeswax laying around

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Any of you fellas got a few minutes and are willing to learn something....here ya go!

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_4_Fluxing.htm

Excellent read DD. I have plans to fire up the pot sometime this weekend so I'll have to try sawdust. I work at a wood shop so this shouldn't be a problem. I'm also a beekeeper so I have lots of beeswax laying around

me to! but i'll have to cut something to get the sawdust. wonder if the wife would miss the pine coffee table?

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just pulled off a run of 300 30cal 170grs (Lee 170-309). I had some lumpy tin insolubles the wouldn't combine with the melt until I dumped in two table spoons of ash sawdust. I stirred it around and voila, lumpy tin was gone. Beeswax really helped shine up the melt plus I had piles of it so I still throw in a piece whenever I think it needs it. Had a great run of casting this afternoon

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe I should get into the sawdust retail business. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Soak it up with CBD oil first 😀

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Why screw around? Just flux with whole Cannibis sativa and casting will become even more enjoyable.
whistle

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Why screw around? Just flux with whole Cannibis sativa and casting will become even more enjoyable.
Give a communist a helicopter ride, he flies for an afternoon. Throw a communist out of a helicopter and he flies for the rest of his life.....
whistle

Why does your signature line make me think of Marine one?

Last edited by deerstalker; 03/28/21.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Give a communist a helicopter ride, he flies for an afternoon. Throw a communist out of a helicopter and he flies for the rest of his life.....
whistle

Why does your signature line make me think of Marine one?

Maybe just your fantasies involving the fate of Hiden Biden? I dunno. When I think about it, I think of packs of starving wolves.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stupid question here. I bought some ingots from a fella on Cast boolits forum. He was well regarded by all. The first box of ingots were nice and shiny, the 2nd box I got from him the ingots are all dull. Is this oxidation in his pot, the end of it, should I be concerned? Was this a flux issue? Thank you gents.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
no, that is oxidation in general with respect to lead.

melt it, they will be fine.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought so, just wanted to make sure. Everyone talks about oxidation with fluxing. Thanks Blammer

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Good thread here, and the linked flux article is queued up for a read, too.

I have plenty of old candle wax laying around. From reading this thread, it appears I am in need of some sawdust as well. Does chainsaw "sawdust" work as well as table saw sawdust? Going to try the crushed oak leaves, as well. We have more than we need in easy reach every fall!

Yep.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Bushwacker
Stupid question here. I bought some ingots from a fella on Cast boolits forum. He was well regarded by all. The first box of ingots were nice and shiny, the 2nd box I got from him the ingots are all dull. Is this oxidation in his pot, the end of it, should I be concerned? Was this a flux issue? Thank you gents.

Sounds like the shiny ingots have a higher tin or antimony content, while the dull ingots are closer to pure lead. Pure lead or an alloy with little tin or antimony (say .22 rimfire bullets) will naturally turn a dull and almost black color.

Try slicing into the metal with your thumbnail to see how soft that it is. Obviously, alloy with little tin or antimony will be much softer.

Last edited by saddlegun; 04/18/21.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For those who leave theflox on top of the lead while casting, do you use a ladle or are you using bottom pour pots? I can seedoing it with bottom pour but I like to use a ladle and got rid of my bottom pour Lee leaks-a-lot.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scott, I leave the flux on as a cover/remix and use a ladle. I just push the char to one side of the pot. Lee leaks -a- lot! love that! i always had a ingot mold on the foot to let the drips go into,

Last edited by deerstalker; 04/19/21.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks. I will try it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott F
Thanks. I will try it.

Try the Rowell type ladle. That helps of any dross floats into the ladle.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blammer

I stored some of my ingots outside this winter. Between the elements and fallen leaves they look dull and crusty. But they melted and fluxed just fine.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Originally Posted by blammer

I stored some of my ingots outside this winter. Between the elements and fallen leaves they look dull and crusty. But they melted and fluxed just fine.

Yes they do.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,238
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.