Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Anyone have one of these? I am looking for a daypack with a frame.
S.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Buddy and I each have Kifaru packs, custom made about 10 years ago. I can't vouch for that pack, but I can vouch for the packs in general. Superb quality, and super low weight. I know since we bought ours, other companies have created lighter packs but I'm not switching. It's carried numerous elk quarters, guns, gear, with only one problem. One of the hip belt frame attachments came unstitched. Took it to Kifaru, they fixed it for free and checked the entire pack over. The way we've used/abused the packs, I'm surprised that's the only thing that ripped - I was fully expecting to pay for the repair. They seriously have taken a beating and show very little wear. Comfortable as well.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I’ve been using the 22 Mag.

I really like the lay out of the bag and the frame is pretty comfortable, but the load shelf is a pain in the ass compared to Stone Glacier.

Last edited by SLM; 04/19/21.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by SLM

I really like the lay out of the bag and the frame is pretty comfortable, but the load shelf is a pain in the ass compared to Stone Glacier.

Yeah - I don't use my load shelf either...

I stuff in bag and I don't wanna carry any more weight than that anyway...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I am used to Kifaru's load shelf, so it doesn't bother me.

No input on the .22 Mag, sorry. Lots of folks seem to like it though.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Greg do have a 22 mag? 22 or 24” frame? What don’t you like about the load shelf?
S.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No I don't at this time. I should have been more clear. I have a Reckoning bag which I love and use a guide lid on the outside of the bag and a Grab- It at the bottom. I just don't have any need for the load shelf.

I stuff meat inside the Reckoning bag itself and then use the guide lid and Grab- It as a meat shelf and strap more meat to the outside. The Grab-It also works well to cradle a skull for packout too and for letting me strip layers if needed and secure to outside of the pack. The guide lid secures the load along with straps on the outside of the Reckoning bag. I don't want to carry any more weight than this...

- Greg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Reckoning with guide lid too, with a Sherman (as opposed to a grab-it). Used in tandem, they do work good for cinching down skulls with antlers/horns.

I like the meat as close to my back as possible, which is why I use the shelf, or if I do shove it into the main bag I make sure it is as close to the frame as possible. Nothing is worse than the ape swinging on your back.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I agree. With the lid not open, everything I just described is cinched and tight. I don't like swinging apes either...

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I actually just switched to an Organizer Guide Lid. I can organize better. The regular Guide Lid started getting called the junk drawer...😆

- Greg

IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It’s definitely doable, but the SG is much easier IMO.

No buckles to remove/move, no fighting with the straps to lift the bag over the frame etc.

I did add some straps that let me lift the load shelf and that helped a lot. The load shelf is part of the frame on the SG which I like better as well, just haven’t found a SG bag I really like.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I guess I am used to Kifaru's load shelf, so it doesn't bother me.

No input on the .22 Mag, sorry. Lots of folks seem to like it though.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thinking a bigger bag and doing the same is the right answer.

Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by SLM

Yeah - I don't use my load shelf either...

I stuff in bag and I don't wanna carry any more weight than that anyway...

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the comments. I’ve never liked carrying meat directly in my bag and have always carried in between the frame and the pack. Really I would like a smaller pack for some of my hit & run day hunts. I figured a 22mag with a Sherman or a smaller SG would be nice. From looks alone I could configure the 22mag more to my liking.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 720 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.