Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Seafire
if you are use to doing it, why skip it? skipping isn't going to hurt nothing...

I should add an addendum that I NEVER trim the length of brass, new or range pick up, until the rifle tells me it needs trimmed...

Seafire, the statement, "until the rifle tells me" will go straight over their heads. Most do not realize just how long a chamber is.

ON the Lapua, I neck size the brass for uniformity. Otherwise, your follow up load may have more/less grip on the bullet...adds some uniformity on your loading to begin with.

Also, most will only de burr a case mouth. The case mouth Chamfer is a funnel that acts as a bullet starter. So, I put a heck of a deep chamfer on the case mouth. Some time ago, the ill informed internet goo roos started a rumor that deep chamfers would cause case necks to split, and this is pure BS. The deep chamfer helps get the bullet started straighter as the base of a bullet does not get cocked on the edge. If you pay close attention, you can really feel how much easier the heavier chamfered case mouths start the bullets.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have used Lapua brass in 6.5x55 and recently loaded some .308 brass with 168g Sierra's. The 6.5x55 brass doesn't fit my Barrett Fieldcraft but does work in my wife's Ruger. Rim size is too big for the Barrett The .308/Sierra combo is the only loads that didn't need straightening. Almost no runout for 50 rounds. All I did to the brass was make sure the necks were round and chamfer.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I have used Lapua brass in 6.5x55 and recently loaded some .308 brass with 168g Sierra's. The 6.5x55 brass doesn't fit my Barrett Fieldcraft but does work in my wife's Ruger. Rim size is too big for the Barrett The .308/Sierra combo is the only loads that didn't need straightening. Almost no runout for 50 rounds. All I did to the brass was make sure the necks were round and chamfer.

Maybe that Lapua brass is just meant for sloppy military rifle chambers. Send it to me, I'll use it. This is how mine works. Testing some loads last weekend in prep for a military rifle shoot coming up next month:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That could be, but I'll keep using it in my wife's gun. The Rim on 6.5x55 brass is listed as .479 in the Nosler manual. The Hornady and Federal brass I have is .474 and works in my Barrett.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
223 or 6.5x55 are the only cartridges I've used Lapua for. IME they're worth the money.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
223 or 6.5x55 are the only cartridges I've used Lapua for. IME they're worth the money.

The only reason I buy Lapua 223 rem brass is to turn it into 6x45..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Maybe that Lapua brass is just meant for sloppy military rifle chambers. Send it to me, I'll use it. This is how mine works. Testing some loads last weekend in prep for a military rifle shoot coming up next month:

Please tell me about that spot scope mount, it looks like a mix of homemade and freeland mount?

Good shooting and good luck in the match.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Please tell me about that spot scope mount, it looks like a mix of homemade and freeland mount?

Good shooting and good luck in the match.

Yes, you are correct. It is an old Freeland from the 50's. I found it in a pawn shop a few years ago. The spotter is an old Bausch and Lomb 20x-60x, I believe it may be original to the freeland stand. I had to make the counter balance/rod and had that aluminum gear laying around that I use for the tensioner. That was a project I had in a machine tool tech course I took back in 2000, but it works great for a knob to tighten the spotter to the rod...

I think I paid $60.00 for the Freeland base and spotter. Its been a great set up. You know how they work, slide the spotter up and down that rod and you can shoot in any position, from prone to offhand. I'll be using it this Saturday at my clubs rimfire match, which consists of offhand and bench shooting with iron sights.. Thanks for the luck. I'll need it..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Excepting for 460 S&W brass to be shot in a revolver I don't resize ANY new brass. It's your time; waste it if you want to. It is highly unlikely that you will gain any accuracy advantage by messing around sizing or trimming new brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the pics BSA, I probably made a half dozen different scope stands plus the ones I bought. Had an old Freeland stand and head like yours, then modified it with a 1 inch rod and homemade head. Sold that one with a Kowa scope when my ex was robbing me.
Got another Freeland tripod with 1 inch aluminum rod and modified Freeland head now.
I've been scheming on a homemade head like the Ray Vin head. RayVin is out of business as far as I know.

Knock'em out at the match!

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Thanks for the pics BSA, I probably made a half dozen different scope stands plus the ones I bought. Had an old Freeland stand and head like yours, then modified it with a 1 inch rod and homemade head. Sold that one with a Kowa scope when my ex was robbing me.
Got another Freeland tripod with 1 inch aluminum rod and modified Freeland head now.
I've been scheming on a homemade head like the Ray Vin head. RayVin is out of business as far as I know.

Knock'em out at the match!

Thanks buddy. I like the idea of a 1" aluminum rod. Should be more rigid than the 1/2" steel rod I'm using. Sounds like you are very handy. You should start a thread on your modified freeland stand. I'd like to hear more about it. The originals had a 2 or 3 piece hollow unit, I believe. Those seemed to work well. A guy at my club has one of those. He's used it since he was a kid and shot NRA rifle matches in Highschool...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I just finished sizing 200 221 fireball cases to 20 VarTarg. handled the cases 4 times and checked flash holes. I never found a single case that had anything wrong with it.

MOLON LABE
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
BSA, You a Seabee? Saw the "We Build, We Fight" on your rifle. Good outfit.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fshaw
BSA, You a Seabee? Saw the "We Build, We Fight" on your rifle. Good outfit.

My dad was a Seabee. When I was a little kid, we were stationed in places like Port Hueneme and Rota Spain:

The first rifle I put the Seabees motto on was for my dad. He loved it, so the rest of them I do in honor of him. Thanks for asking.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 32 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.