Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#16006544 04/18/21
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've been out of the loop, but apparently "bone broth" has been trendy the past few years. Been hearing about people drinking it daily, as a part of their diet for the collagen, vitamins, minerals, gelatin, etc. I always thought that it was just a good base for great soup and now that I think about it, I have seen small jugs of it in the meat section of the grocery store.

I remember my grandmother making homemade dog food with broth, bone meal, and other stuff and freezing it. Their dogs were retired/rescue working animals or strictly used for hunting. I think it was somewhat driven by living during the Great Depression, and to give the dogs something extra to supplement the commercial dry food.

Anyone into the broth, other than using it as a soup base? I don't see myself replacing my coffee with broth but I still like making a good soup stock.

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/18/21.
GB2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We make chicken, lamb and game broths. Big stainless stock pot, lots of veggies and bones. Freeze it in bags or plastic containers and use it all the time.

I don't drink it, but fugue if I use 6-8 cups/week in cooking I'm getting plenty.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I made separate batches of chicken, pork, and beef. Froze them in smaller portions. Good stuff, and better than bouillon.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I would HIGHLY recommend sous vide for broth making.

(Actually, I would recommend sous vide as a better alterative to 80% of cooking, to be honest. It is the most used tool in my kitchen, anymore)

Generally speaking, lightly coat bones/parts/veggies in a light coat of EVOO. Roast gently in the oven. Add to sous vide bag, add water and spices, let it go at 180-200 degrees for 12 hours.

It doesn't simmer. It doesn't steam. (know how you can smell great broth cooking? You are losing flavor)

It is a near-boiling steep with 100% of nutrients and flavor locked in.

I dump the liquid into a bowl and refrigerate..... By the next morning it is the consistency of JELLO. That is when you know you got it right.

Last edited by duck911; 04/21/21.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by duck911

(Actually, I would recommend sous vide as a better alterative to 80% of cooking, to be honest. It is the most used tool in my kitchen, anymore)

Generally speaking, lightly coat bones/parts/veggies in a light coat of EVOO. Roast gently in the oven. Add to sous vide bag, add water and spices, let it go at 180-200 degrees for 12 hours.

It doesn't simmer. It doesn't steam. (know how you can smell great broth cooking? You are losing flavor)

I dump the liquid into a bowl and refrigerate..... By the next morning it is the consistency of JELLO. That is when you know you got it right.

What do you use for a bag? Approximately what amount of water to amount of solids?

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Originally Posted by duck911

What do you use for a bag? Approximately what amount of water to amount of solids?

Good question. Must take a gigantic bag to make this in any reasonable proportion. A 32 quart stock pot makes a bunch. After chilling and skimming fat and solids, left with gallons of thick, rich gelatin. Use it 3-4 times per week.

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget to add the salt while it's cooking ,otherwise no salt means you have to put twice as much after it's finished for same salted taste.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Been handy having the broth frozen in small bags. Just put some in a pot of beans and meat for lunch.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.