Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by T_Inman
John, do you know of any oddball post and crosshair reticle versions that Lyman ever put into their 2.5X Alaskan? I have one that I am trying to price to sell, and it is basically a standard post and crosshair reticle, but the vertical post doesn't taper. It stays straight until just above the horizontal crosshair, then instead of a sharp or rounded point, it 45s off on each side and then 45s again to make a flat top, like a K98 T post reticle but without the 45's at the top of the post. Hopefully that makes at least some sense. I wish I had a picture to show you but don't have the scope with me.

Everything I have seen on the web with these scopes reflect them having tapered posts, not one 45'd off like this one is. I am curious if I have some special non-cataloged version, or if is nothing special at all.

Thanks!

somewhere I have an old weaver scope with that same reticle. it belonged to my dad. IIRC the glass clarity in that old scope wasnt very good, it may have fogged over. no idea where it is now, but i can vividly remember the reticle

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

BP-B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
late to the battle but i really like in my leupold the german 4 reticle very efficient at least for me here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess I have come full circle as well hunting scope wise. First scope was an old Vari-xIII 2.5-8, Duplex, as I got older tried bigger and better things. Dials, Christmas tree's, Tacticool stuff, all shapes and sizes. I just like a simple Duplex, or my favorite #4 reticle these days. I like my scopes smaller and lighter now, like they used to be, works for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amazing how we roll back around to the more simplicity of things. With scopes, I’m all in with this.
Speaking of the Duplex, some don’t realize, there are actually two aiming points with this reticle. At the cross section (1) and below that, where the small part of the Duplex meets the larger part of the vertical line. (2)
Know your rifle and it’s ability.
Sight in 2 inches high at 100 yards, see where the second point hits at 100 yards. Work up your dope with those two marks. Helps making shots out to 400 yards, which is about my max anymore.
I prefer to get closer to my game. Anymore, I mostly use a 308 Win. Or my 30-06.
Hey, wishing y’all the best the hunting season.
Take care.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
not a cheap option but i really like the german #4 offered by leupold. i have now 2-7x32, 1.75-6x32, 2.5-8x36 and 1.5-5x20 and all good in their domains.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Always liked the duplex reticle, but have a rifle in 243 that was my late brothers I have had since he passed in 1995, it is a Bushnell brand with post and crosshairs, and the post can be put up or down by turning a ring.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Just order all of the Gun Gack books and 3 of the Cook Books

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Partsman
Always liked the duplex reticle, but have a rifle in 243 that was my late brothers I have had since he passed in 1995, it is a Bushnell brand with post and crosshairs, and the post can be put up or down by turning a ring.

Bushnell's "Command Post". Always seemed an interesting idea - crosshairs for taking a fine aim (assuming enough light and time) and a post for speed and poor light. It never really seemed to catch on, probably because something like a German Nr 4 or Duplex can do the same job or perhaps a better one, without the additional complexity and potential for failure.

The version I tried of this had a little lever rather than a ring to lift the post into place. IIRC the system used a magnet to actuate the post.

J
J
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I am particularly interested in the ranging with duplex testicles bit.

I've never had to range anything using this method, but if I did I wouldn't try to range anything over about six inches away.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I am particularly interested in the ranging with duplex testicles bit.

I've never had to range anything using this method, but if I did I wouldn't try to range anything over about six inches away.

😂😂😂

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B3

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
My favorite recticle is on my 1964 B&L 2.5-8 Balvar. Finely tapered crosshairs that just intuitively put you on target. Good glass too. Not adjustable though, you have to use an adjustable base. Mine came with a Buhler Mount.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GlacierJohn
My favorite recticle is on my 1964 B&L 2.5-8 Balvar. Finely tapered crosshairs that just intuitively put you on target. Good glass too. Not adjustable though, you have to use an adjustable base. Mine came with a Buhler Mount.

Something like these?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Something like that😀😀😀

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Interesting read. John, thanks for sharing your experience and expertise clearly and concisely, as always.

Noticed that no mention of Leupold’s B&C reticle was made. I’m not a varmint hunter or long range shooter preferring to take shots at game as close as possible. However, conditions in open places sometimes make a longer shot the only one available.

My 3 longest shots at game have been with Leupold’s B&C reticles. Main crosshairs sighted in at 200 yds with the lower 3 short hash marks confirmed at or very close to 300, 400 and 450 yds IIRC. Splitting the distance between the hash marks works for intermediate ranges.

Shots were on a Dall ram in AK at 423 yds with a 2.5-8x, a mountain goat in BC at 393 yds with a 4.5-14x (too much magnification on the high end I concluded) and 456 yds, with a 3.5-10x, at a mule deer in ID across a canyon where no concealment was available. These shots were late in the hunts when no more time was available, the animals were worth the effort, and wind conditions were favorable.

The B&C is simple, accurate out to at least 450 yds and can be used in field conditions without too much movement or a complex and cluttered sight picture. This reticle and the simpler LR Dot have become my favorites when a longer shot might be unavoidable.

As in almost everything in life, personal experiences and results largely condition our conclusions and choices. Though I see a fair amount of Leupold horror stories IME over the last 50 years they’ve worked well for me and the type of hunting I’ve done. YMMV

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 09/05/23. Reason: Spelling

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The B&C reticle is a winner for me and my hunting styles also (same goes for the LRD). Works great for quick shots on vital-zone sized targets at known distances when using decent spitzers at 2,800-3,100fps. I hunt a fair bit on longer pipeline ROWs and am often shooting bucks and hogs that are crossing. Generally no time for dialing or math.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I also like the B&C reticle. I generally sight my hunting rifles in at 200 yards as much of my hunting is in open country. With a 200 yard zero and a B&C reticle, relatively quick shots shots out to 450 yards can be taken.

It may not be as precise as dialing, but it seems to work for me, and it's definitely faster.

I've used other reticles that work similarly that I also like. The BDC reticles on Tract Toric scopes work very well for me with a 200 yard zero. I think the Burris Ballistic Plex reticle is primarily designed to be used with a 100 yard zero, but it also works well with a zero a bit over 200 yards. I've been zeroing these around 220 to 230 depending on the chambering.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
JPro,

Good point about known distance shots with the B&C reticle. I always use a laser rangefinder in places where open terrain may result in longer shots. The 3 shots I described were all made from good rests and distance to the animal or a close spot were determined before the shot.

The simplicity of sighting and, if needed, shooting rapidly when on target are the primary virtues of the B&C and LR Dot reticles. In real life hunting scenarios those are great advantages IME.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Interesting read. John, thanks for sharing your experience and expertise clearly and concisely, as always.

Noticed that no mention of Leupold’s B&C reticle was made. I’m not a varmint hunter or long range shooter preferring to take shots at game as close as possible. However, conditions in open places sometimes make a longer shot the only one available.

My 3 longest shots at game have been with Leupold’s B&C reticles. Main crosshairs sighted in at 200 yds with the lower 3 short hash marks confirmed at or very close to 300, 400 and 450 yds IIRC. Splitting the distance between the hash marks works for intermediate ranges.

Didn't notice this post until now--mostly because people quit commenting on these essays not too long after they were posted!

I didn't mention the Leupold B&C reticle specifically because it one of the category often called "Christmas tree reticles," as I mentioned in the article. The B&C is a fine variation, but so are some others.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Outstanding article. We are blessed !!

"not too grumpy"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
371 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.