Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I've done a couple buys within the last couple months and I'm from California. ( a pistol and a rifle) I had to have the forum seller send through an FFL to my FFL. Very simple. My FFL said it's a new Ca. Law that transactions must be FFL to FFL. Sometimes FFL's get discounts on shipping. I think it's probably safer to go FFL to FFL. I think it eliminates fraud. Nothing gets me hotter than seeing "no sales to Ca" on an add. Give us West Coasters a break. Thanks for the posts......

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
FFL to FFL because of the pistol I believe.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by frenchy51
Nothing gets me hotter than seeing "no sales to Ca" on an add.

You could just keep the people that don't sell to CA. in mind then you can exclude them as buyers when sell stuff here.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by J257

I was told by him (my FFL) all transactions to Ca. must be FFL to FFL.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by frenchy51

I was told by him (my FFL) all transactions to Ca. must be FFL to FFL.

Completely false. FFL’s and ignorance are sometimes our worst enemy, and they are unfortunately the source of much of the bad info out there

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Having lived with the BS for 18 years, (retired from the Navy and got a good job here) Many FFL's in CA do not want to accept a firearm from an individual. No law says they have to come from an FFL.. It is what it is. The person in CA has to find an FFL that will accept from an individual. There is also another quirk, perhaps driving the requirement the CA DOJ requires an approval to ship. All online and easy to do (maybe not for some folks) (basically a check that shows the shipping dealer is indeed an FFL) This IS NOT required from an individual, only an FFL dealer. Had to jump through hoops several times. Now a pistol is something very different from a long gun. Then there is the "approved" list of pistol that can be shipped. IE a 29-1 is not approved on the list but a 29-3 is??? It gets crazier, a Browning High Power is OK, any year but a Colt 1911 needs to be specific as to year?? Three more months and I am OUTA here. Thank God. By the way it is no fun trying to ship from CA either.. Takes at least an hour and a "second" level manager at the Post Office to get them to accept a rifle for shipping.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Having lived with the BS for 18 years, (retired from the Navy and got a good job here) Many FFL's in CA do not want to accept a firearm from an individual. No law says they have to come from an FFL.. It is what it is. The person in CA has to find an FFL that will accept from an individual. There is also another quirk, perhaps driving the requirement the CA DOJ requires an approval to ship. All online and easy to do (maybe not for some folks) (basically a check that shows the shipping dealer is indeed an FFL) This IS NOT required from an individual, only an FFL dealer. Had to jump through hoops several times. Now a pistol is something very different from a long gun. Then there is the "approved" list of pistol that can be shipped. IE a 29-1 is not approved on the list but a 29-3 is??? It gets crazier, a Browning High Power is OK, any year but a Colt 1911 needs to be specific as to year?? Three more months and I am OUTA here. Thank God. By the way it is no fun trying to ship from CA either.. Takes at least an hour and a "second" level manager at the Post Office to get them to accept a rifle for shipping.

And add to that the average charge for a transfer in this f ucked up State is at close to $100.00 which is obscene in itself.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Any where from $75.00 to $125 to transfer a firearm. Then you also get to pay tax on the entire receipt. Including shipping.. I have had FF'LS get pissed when I did not have a "receipt" for the transaction. Think Gunbroker from a individual. I have heard that the CA tax folks are much worse than the Federal ATF folks when the books are inspected.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
My FFL charges $40

And only charges tax if the firearm ships from an FFL.

Last edited by robertham1; 04/20/21.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yall making me feel guilty for not liking to pay $20-30 bucks for a transfer here in SC...

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RJL53

And add to that the average charge for a transfer in this f ucked up State is at close to $100.00 which is obscene in itself.

That’s set by your FFL and if he’s charging you $100 I’d find another guy.

She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Any where from $75.00 to $125 to transfer a firearm. Then you also get to pay tax on the entire receipt. Including shipping.. I have had FF'LS get pissed when I did not have a "receipt" for the transaction. Think Gunbroker from a individual. I have heard that the CA tax folks are much worse than the Federal ATF folks when the books are inspected.

Tax is only collected if the firearm comes from an FFL.
If it’s a private party shipping the gun it’s tax exempt.

It’s pure conjecture but the cynical side of me wonders if some of the crappier FFL’s out there are just BSing you guys on the tax thing and pocketing that money.

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MWN
I sold a rifle on the 'Fire to a member from California and it was quite simple. He had an FFL there that received it from me (shipped direct with my ID enclosed). It was no big deal at all. The trick (IMHO) is for the California buyer to scout out the FFL there that is easy to work with and knows the drill.

Many don't know the drill. CA doesn't have a lock on this..

Black Cows Matter!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well, yes the cost is set by the LGS/FFL. Trouble is they are all together on the price. Tax is on anything other than a private party transfer (PPT) . IE any thing other than a face to face transaction.. PPT then no tax. A PPT can only be done in state. You have one shipped in you will pay.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Well, yes the cost is set by the LGS/FFL. Trouble is they are all together on the price. Tax is on anything other than a private party transfer (PPT) . IE any thing other than a face to face transaction.. PPT then no tax. A PPT can only be done in state. You have one shipped in you will pay.

Boss I don’t mean to break balls but there’s still a lot of bad info there. I’ll do my best to explain a few things in hopes it will help you avoid getting screwed

What do you mean they are all together on the price? My guy is 40 per gun, that’s it. There is another place closer that is 100. I simply do not use them. Obviously that is his fee and does not include 37.50 DROS fee which is fixed

Yes PPT is tax exempt but your definition of PPT is incorrect. ANY legal gun shipped to my FFL from any private party is a PPT and is therefore tax exempt. It does not have to come from within CA borders.

If I buy a M1 Garand from billybob in Texas and HE packs it up and ships it to my FFL, it’s a PPT and I pay no tax

If I buy an ON ROSTER or C&R eligible handgun from John Smith off guns international and he packs it up and ships it to my FFL it is a PPT and tax exempt

If he takes it to his FFL and has him ship it to my FFL then I have to pay tax on the purchase price. That’s the silly part of the tax law that I wish weren’t true but is.

The only merit a “face to face” transaction has here is for transferring OFF ROSTER handguns between two CA residents. An example would be if you had a glock 43 for sale you cold ship it out of state but if I wanted to buy it we would both have to go to the ffl at the same time and do a PPT.
Other than that face to face means nothing
If you go to the handgun section of calguns you will see lots of guns for sale that say off roster/no shipping. You cannot ship an off roster gun to me to do paperwork, you have to be there as well.

Long winded but hopefully that clears a few things up..?

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^^^This^^^

Calguns.net.

Anything and everything you ever wanted to know about guns and Kommiefornia.

You can find FFL's to network. Even have their own subforum.

There are out of staters both private and retail that regularly advertise guns for sale into Kali on that site.

Post a question in the correct subforum and you'll get answers from laywers, FFLs, LEOs and gun law experts in short order.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've never had a problem receiving a legal firearm from someone out of state. The biggest hang up has been people just not willing to ship to CA, trying to get back at the state for it's laws or something and in the process throwing there brothers in arms under the bus.

Yeah, that’s it, a big Anti-California conspiracy. It isn’t that easy to send guns to California and the hoops California makes for the out of state FFL is not worth the hassle. If it was, you wouldn’t see all the dealers that won’t ship to California.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not talking about dealers - talking about individuals. And its stupid easy for an individual to send one in, unless you can't figure out how to photo copy your license. It's true and not a conspiracy. Ask some of the gentleman on this post, that are the worst offenders, that don't ship to CA. It's not because they can't copy there license.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ok, if an non Cali FFL send an firearm to an FFL in California you have to go thru Cali DOJ and their hoops or form. Keep that in mind.

Also keep in mind for you Washington state folks trying to purchase semi auto rifles in neigjbooring Idaho is another no-no. If your from Washington you cannot bring in an semi auto rifle instate. It must be purchased within Washington if your an resident.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Problem is no one reports these Dick FFL's. By California law they are required to do private party transfers, and the fee they can charge is regulated. And NO WHERE does the law say that they have to be in-state party's, or that they can choose not to except out of state transfers. They are required to by law! Report there asses.

Phil

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.