Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mgw619 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
My in laws just bought some land outside of billings. I think it's about 250 acres. Sounds like there are good numbers of mule deer around. Given that the application period has passed, what possibilities do I have for getting a deer tag for this fall rifle season? Any otc options?

You'll shoot your eye out
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Probably not unless you are lucky enough to get a tag turned back in. Used to be on that day, you could sit on the computer and have a chance of getting one of those tags. The new non - resident alternate draw is a joke.

How about landowners tag?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Pretty much SOL for a tag this year

Hang on tight !
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If there are surplus B tags (doe tags) you can sign up for the drawing to purchase one. The B tags are area specific. They usually go on sale around August.

M
Mgw619 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Is the non resident alternate license lottery different from the surplus license lottery?

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes, the non resident alternate lottery you can sign up for starting May 15th. The alternate lottery will be your only shot at getting a buck tag.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Region6
Yes, the non resident alternate lottery you can sign up for starting May 15th. The alternate lottery will be your only shot at getting a buck tag.

I’m thinkin you had to apply in the initial draw and you gotta be get on the list you applied for. So if you applied for deer/elk you can’t enter the deer only and vice versa.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Judman

I’m thinkin you had to apply in the initial draw and you gotta be get on the list you applied for. So if you applied for deer/elk you can’t enter the deer only and vice versa.

Jud
I don’t think that’s the rules on the alternate list. You can only sign up for one combo tag be it the general elk, deer combo, big game combo. You didn’t have to be in the initial draw according to what I’m reading on their website but given MT and their regulations/rules who knows!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
a doe tag probably, a buck tag will now be hard to get but not impossible ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Mgw619 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks. I'll try to sign up in may and again in july if it will let me.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by Judman

Jud
I don’t think that’s the rules on the alternate list. You can only sign up for one combo tag be it the general elk, deer combo, big game combo. You didn’t have to be in the initial draw according to what I’m reading on their website but given MT and their regulations/rules who knows!

Copy that Andy, I’ve only had to do it once in 20+ plus years. 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My son-in-law and I often hunt late season mule deer with our archery gear. Seems like archery tags are easy to acquire compared with rifle tags.

Modern crossbows are capable of consistent accuracy at 40 yards. Wicked Ridge offers quality for an affordable price.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
M
Mgw619 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Looked again today online and I added my name to the list for the alternate tags. Also was able to enter the draw for a deer B tag. We shall see. This is for district 590. Property boarders the crow rez.

M
Mgw619 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
No luck in the late deer b draw. Long shot for the alternate list still I guess.

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do yourself a favor and buy a preference point for 2022.

Hunt...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mgw619
Looked again today online and I added my name to the list for the alternate tags. Also was able to enter the draw for a deer B tag. We shall see. This is for district 590. Property boarders the crow rez.

I live in Billings. There isn't much good deer hunting to be had locally. If the 250 includes irrigated hay ground along the river you might have something. Bordering the Crow isn't a good thing either as the Crow indians have no bag limit and no season. Much of the rez is a dead zone because of this.

M
Mgw619 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Mgw619

I live in Billings. There isn't much good deer hunting to be had locally. If the 250 includes irrigated hay ground along the river you might have something. Bordering the Crow isn't a good thing either as the Crow indians have no bag limit and no season. Much of the rez is a dead zone because of this.

I've got daily pics to stay different. Will see if i can post a few

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do they have whitetail on the land? If so you should be able to purchase a "Single Region Deer B License for Whitetail Deer" OTC or online beginning 10 August. See page 15 of the 2021 MT deer/elk/antelope regs.
This is in addition to any other B-Tag you may draw through the lottery.

Good luck
Rex

M
Mgw619 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Do they have whitetail on the land? If so you should be able to purchase a "Single Region Deer B License for Whitetail Deer" OTC or online beginning 10 August. See page 15 of the 2021 MT deer/elk/antelope regs.
This is in addition to any other B-Tag you may draw through the lottery.

Good luck
Rex

No whitetail that I'm are aware of

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Post those pics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 19 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,377
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.