Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I have hunted deer, elk, antelope, javelina, bighorn sheep, rocky mtn goat, moose, and don't care to hunt any of the exotics,although I should have tried for Oryx when I lived in NM.I have had too many elk to count, not so many deer and antelope, but enough.One nice ram and goat too.

So before I hang it all up, which is getting to be real soon, I would like a bison hunt.In the past there have been post of guys on here that have done it and post of ranches that offered it. So I figured it was good place to start

Here is what I am looking for:

Time wise, this year, late fall.Cool enough that I won't have problems with meat spoilage hauling it home.
I can't walk far, so truck/ ATV or horse hunt to bison location.
Ranch to provide guide, retrieval, skinning, slaughter, processing, freezing.
I don't need the hide, but maybe skull/horns cleaned. I don't want to mount the head /cape .

No an old cow,or old bull, but not a yearling . 2-3 years old. Does not have to be a bull. I want some thing good to eat and not tough.

Not interested in Canada. North Dakota, South Dakota,Wyoming, Montana or Nebraska OK. I am in Colorado

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/21/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vince, call the Downares up in Hartsel. It'll be close to home.....

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Vince, call the Downares up in Hartsel. It'll be close to home.....

Thanks Don.
Do you have contact info you could PM me?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had been looking into the same thing but hunts seem to start at $3k

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Check with Loco Mountain outfitters in Colorado. Jim, just recently sent me an Email about, two Buffalo hunts! There's a good chance that he still has them!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
Check with Loco Mountain outfitters in Colorado. Jim, just recently sent me an Email about, two Buffalo hunts! There's a good chance that he still has them!

Thanks

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I know where there is a bunch of them!!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]bp service station near me

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Contact 30 hart on here, he does hunts on the crow reservation. It's a bit more interesting than a pasture hunt. A bit more expensive too. But a beautiful place.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You may wish to contact Rob Arnaud of Arnaud Outfitting. He runs Bison hunts on Ted Turner’s ranches. Has probably done more bison hunts than anyone else, especially since Turner is biggest land owner in USA and has the most bison on his various ranches. I’ve shot a couple bison through his outfit on the Flying D in Montana. Would do it again, just for the meat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
tag

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Been thinking of using some of my reserve R&R $$ for a hunt, mostly a meat hunt.

Have to check some of this info out.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Twin Pines Ranch in WY. Gal named Peggy Gerk runs it. Done a couple of bison hunts there. Good outfit.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Been thinking of using some of my reserve R&R $$ for a hunt, mostly a meat hunt.

Checking things out.Seems $3K is base line for a 2 yr old cow (900 #'s) or bull (1000#'s) which would be the best eating. Big 2000# trophy mature bulls start at $5-$6 K. That is hamburger meat.

Services after the shot varies.Ones I have checked on,don't do any processing.They help skin it and load the carcass, quarters or ? into your truck. You are on the hook for butchering.Most shops right now are 3-6 months out . Figuring meat in the freezer at 30% of live weight, (probably closer to 27%) you are at $10/pounds for everything not including processing.

I have one ranch about 100 miles west of me and another about 60 miles east. Probably won't do it until next November

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/22/21.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for that info.
I have never had meat processed by anyone but myself. It may be a different
case with a buffalo.
I could field test a bunch of knives on that project.
A lot to keep cool till I get back to Michigan. Maybe my son in Kansas would split a cow with me.
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 04/22/21.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill

Checking things out.Seems $3K is base line for a 2 yr old cow (900 #'s) or bull (1000#'s) which would be the best eating. Big 2000# trophy mature bulls start at $5-$6 K. That is hamburger meat.

Services after the shot varies.Ones I have checked on,don't do any processing.They help skin it and load the carcass, quarters or ? into your truck. You are on the hook for butchering.Most shops right now are 3-6 months out . Figuring meat in the freezer at 30% of live weight, (probably closer to 27%) you are at $10/pounds for everything not including processing.

I have one ranch about 100 miles west of me and another about 60 miles east. Probably won't do it until next November

Thanks for breaking it down like that.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We've processed 3 cow bison ourselves. Hung and aged them in our garage and did the cutting and grinding ourselves. Just a big elk, no problems.

It would be a shame to not take the hide, for about $500 Moyle MInk will tan it for you and it will turn out really nice.

The field work involved ropes and the grill guard on the front of the truck, they are big and heavy even a 2 1/2 year old cow. Our cows have been 2 1/2, 4 1/2 and 6 1/2 years old, all were great eating.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2
Contact 30 hart on here, he does hunts on the crow reservation. It's a bit more interesting than a pasture hunt. A bit more expensive too. But a beautiful place.

Ive hunted there. Those hunts are free ranging bison and run over $10K .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks to me about like shooting range cattle and just as easy to hit. A lot more expensive though. Better hope the meat is good, there will be lots of it. I love seeing them but would never go to that much trouble for what is just grass fed beef.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I have one booked this fall with “The bison ranch” out of North Dakota. Ranch in pingree if I remember right. 3 nights lodging, a 2to -2 1/2 year old bull or heifer. They butcher and quick freeze it on sight. Keep head, hide and any other parts I want. Taking wife’s grandpa as it on his bucket list. Everything said and done $4200. Little higher than some of the others I looked at but they do all processing and will transport hide and skull to taxidermist. After bison hunt I can hunt the ranch for predators or pheasant at no extra cost so all in all it not terrible. Allows 1 guest at no extra cost.

Just some numbers for you guys who might be thinking about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
Looks to me about like shooting range cattle and just as easy to hit. A lot more expensive though. Better hope the meat is good, there will be lots of it. I love seeing them but would never go to that much trouble for what is just grass fed beef.

I bet you're a lot of fun at Parties. 😄

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

299 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 33 invisible), 1,435 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,607
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.