Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
article with link

Tightening the screws on a mythical problem.

These people don't seem to understand that many, if not most, guns are not traceable to begin with.

Last edited by denton; 04/20/21.

Be not weary in well doing.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But all the cop shows say that every gun is registered! shocked

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I liked the part where "readily convertible" implies a master gunsmith with $65,000 worth of machine tools. Yeah, that's about right. 80 percents are doable, but you need the skills AND at least some of the tools or you're just making a light paperweight.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
So at what point are shops that can actually machine these a target?

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Do what's the big deal with "ghost guns?"

Can't anyone with a $5.00 file and five minutes make a ghost gun by removing the serial number from a gun that has one?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by denton
article with link

Tightening the screws on a mythical problem.

These people don't seem to understand that many, if not most, guns are not traceable to begin with.

I actually think quite the opposite is true. I think the ATF is keeping tabs on whatever it can (at least at time of purchase) and these so called “ghost guns” prevent that. Think about it: no one wanting to ban them says (in a whiney liberal voice), “but no one has to get a background check for this.” Instead they cry because they’re “not traceable.”

Maybe I need more tinfoil.

Last edited by philgood80; 04/20/21.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Can't anyone with a $5.00 file and five minutes make a ghost gun by removing the serial number from a gun that has one?

Yes and No. They can now take a gun that has had the ser. number ground off and do a metallurgical scan on the area and it will recreate the serial number by looking at the change in the molecular structure of the metal compared to the area right around the number.

Last edited by BluMtn; 04/20/21.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Seial numbers should have never been required in the first place. Just another part of the "slippery slope" that the stupid fuuckin Fudds in the NRA thought was A-OK back in 1968.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Is this a real question?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Anyone that has a spare 15 years to spend in a Federal prison. 80% lowers are NOT considered firearms.....yet.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Can't anyone with a $5.00 file and five minutes make a ghost gun

A $200 off the shelf 3D printer can make a Glock frame, or a 10/22 receiver, or an AR lower, or any of several guns designed from the scratch to be produced by printing. The incremental cost of making another is ~$2 worth of plastic filament.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BluMtn

Yes and No. They can now take a gun that has had the ser. number ground off and do a metallurgical scan on the area and it will recreate the serial number by looking at the change in the molecular structure of the metal compared to the area right around the number.

So wouldn't filing and then over stamping numerous numbers/patterns obliterate the underlying structure? As in using a center punch and then peening the surface back, repeat, repeat, etc.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Stickfight

A $200 off the shelf 3D printer can make a Glock frame, or a 10/22 receiver, or an AR lower, or any of several guns designed from the scratch to be produced by printing. The incremental cost of making another is ~$2 worth of plastic filament.

You may be able to "make" a frame with a 3d printer, but when you go to use it as a firearm, you will most likely be in for a surprise very quickly when it disassembles itself.

NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Seial numbers should have never been required in the first place. Just another part of the "slippery slope" that the stupid fuuckin Fudds in the NRA thought was A-OK back in 1968.

Bingo!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by asheepdog

You may be able to "make" a frame with a 3d printer, but when you go to use it as a firearm, you will most likely be in for a surprise very quickly when it disassembles itself.

Bullchit!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Apparently you only need some good water pipe and fittings.... I like when he says I will shoot it left handed so it does blow off my good hand.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ym6MfpWmE

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Nope. Perfectly serviceable Glock frames, for example, can be printed up with about $4.00 worth of material. You then only need to install some steel rail segments, which are available online, no FFL required, and come with instructions on how. The other parts for a Glock are available online, e.g., complete slide assembly, magazines, no FFL required.

All legal, since (as I understand it) there's no law against making your own firearms from scratch, so long as you don't sell it or give it away, or take it out of state.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many criminals are going to make the effort to finish a ghost gun?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
An AR lower receiver receives virtually no stress at all from the rifle firing. If you can 3D primt a pistol grip for one, there’s no reason at all a lower receiver printed the same way wouldn’t be serviceable. It is done every day.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

3d printings come a long way in the last couple of years. There are some very good materials available to the home gamer today.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.