Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
probably a long shot

a couple of weeks ago I bought a "barn find" late 80's John Deere Walk Behind mower with a 48" deck, Kawasaki FB460V motor.

It has a laundry list of problems but my biggest issue right now is getting some kind of reference number or model number for this mower.

I think it was actually made by a company called Bunton out of Louisville, but I've contacted a couple of places that sell Bunton parts and they aren't interested in helping me. Local John Deere dealer just shrugs his shoulders like why would anyone want to by parts for an 80's lawn mower.

Anyways, the mower deck is called 48" Com Mow which I guess is what they called the mower, the 48" Commercial Mower.

Here is a picture identical to the mower I have
[Linked Image from cdn2.equipmenttrader.com]

Here is the Bunton
[Linked Image from ronmowers.com]

If anyone has one of these, I'd like to pick your brain on how you get parts for it.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/21/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Almost looks like a Kees/Yazoo

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
there is a place down the road that used to sell Yazoo.

I might run by there and see if he can help me out

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I don’t know what your laundry list of problems consists of, but I would guess most parts you need would be standard items, such as bearings, belts, pulleys...nuts and bolts stuff you can get from Graingers or MSC quicker, easier and cheaper than from any kind of dealer. Dealers are not set up to provide parts and service for 40 year old stuff of their own brand, much less orphans. About the only thing brand-specific on that stuff is sheet metal and frame.

If it’s functional engine parts you need, you might be better off to get a crate engine from Northern Tool or one of those outfits.

Mathew 22: 37-39

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just got back from the local Yazoo guy.

He was able to pull out a Bunton parts list and match it up, but none of the stuff is readily available. All the belts, pulleys, etc are discontinued.

He told me I'm going to have to either chase down new old stock or match stuff by size. I don't know if its worth the effort. Its not my primary mower, I just bought it to see if I could restore it.

Basically at this point, I have the motor in good shape, but the belts , pulleys and spindles are all bad/rotten.

The guy there was like "don't put another dime in this thing"

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The owners manual and parts manual are available for download on numerous internet sites.

The lawncare and mower forums say Ebay is where they buy their parts for the Buntons.

They aren't in high demand, they're likely to come pretty cheap.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With that badass gearshift, you definitely need to get it chopping again. Almost makes me wish I still had grass. Almost.

Last edited by RufusG; 04/21/21.
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I can track down spindles and pulleys

Belts not so much. I have the part numbers Bunton PL8003 and Bunton PL8073, but I don't have the sizes. I have one that is broke, I can measure and see if there is something I can buy that matches it.

Those pulleys are $50 a pop. I can get a spindle for $34 a pop.

Looks like I'll be in it for about $400 if I want to refurbish it

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It looks like a JD model PC2003 to me. Possible sub model AM105200. Go to MyJohnDeere and create an account there. You can then look at parts pictures for about any JD. Just type in a model number or brief description in search bar. I still get parts for my 1995 855 rig there.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
well this might be easier than I thought, I found a place called V-Belt guys and I was able to buy all the belts for it from them for $48

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's what's called a "Parts" item

You don't buy it to fix you buy it to part out.

That said I've known a few old codgers over the years that could make anything work scabbing from differ makes and models.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by travis301
It looks like a JD model PC2003 to me. Possible sub model AM105200. Go to MyJohnDeere and create an account there. You can then look at parts pictures for about any JD. Just type in a model number or brief description in search bar. I still get parts for my 1995 855 rig there.

pretty close but its got a squared out deck

I think I'm where I need to be on parts. I just gotta chase them down

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The spindles could probably be retrofitted with some cheapies off of eBay made for riding mowers. Other than that, whst has it got?? An idler pully to disengage the deck, and one for the drive???

Tractor supply sells belts by size. You ought to be able to measure the old ones (they have a yool there to do it) or use a length of rope/cable to “mock up” a belt to measure.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by KFWA

Belts not so much. I have the part numbers Bunton PL8003 and Bunton PL8073, but I don't have the sizes. I have one that is broke, I can measure and see if there is something I can buy that matches it.

Heck, looks like you already got it figured out!!

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
yea, it turned out to be a little easier than I thought once I got started. I thought it was going to be a huge headache.

going to that Yazoo dealer got the ball rolling, now its just a matter of sourcing the stuff.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FatCity67
That's what's called a "Parts" item

You don't buy it to fix you buy it to part out.

That said I've known a few old codgers over the years that could make anything work scabbing from differ makes and models.

you're probably right

I'm gonna give it a shot though, just for pride I'd like to say I got it going.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

You need to get the little pull along dolly with the seat so you don't have to walk behind.

Phil

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Greyghost

You need to get the little pull along dolly with the seat so you don't have to walk behind.

Phil

Sulky

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

"Vbeltsforless.com" know your belt width and length. They have it all and waaay cheaper.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Industrial supply houses, will find any length belt you need! Look up a Goodyear belting distributor near you! Or Gates Belt distributor!!

Last edited by Heym06; 04/21/21.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 700 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.