-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for an upgrade to my inexpensive starter (but functional) CVA Optima .50 - specifically looking for a shorter barrel or carbine style and light weight. I do like the ergonomics of the Optima with the lever barrel-release on the trigger guard but it’s just not as accurate as I’d hoped (Shooting Barnes .50 cal sabot hollow points & Powerbelts)

Maybe I missed a great online resource but I really don’t know where to start educating myself on Muzzleloaders. Blessed with lots of hunting experience with rifles & archery but could really use some advice or suggestions to educate me on the different capabilities of different Muzzleloader manufacturers. What are the good brands? Which should I avoid? What should I look for?

(Super general questions I know & apologize up front)

Anyhow, thanks for any thoughts that could help me invest more wisely.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found a TC Impact for my son’s Colorado elk hunt a few years ago. Was pretty impressed with the trigger, light weight, and handiness. $300 IIRC for a Weathershield version.

It would be helpful if you specified your budget, sighting preference, propellent of choice and any restrictions in the states you want to hunt.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Pappy! I’ll take a look at the TC Impact.

I’d prefer a scope sight, 209 Ignition and pellet propellant. There aren’t any specific restrictions in VT.

Budget would be $1k or less. I’ve got the optic already.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really like my CVA Optima. If I were to replace it, I’d likely look at the Accura Mountain Rifle.

Little shorter barrel, under 6.5#’s, and stainless.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
May be speaking out of turn here since I only have
side locks.
What all projectiles have you tried to make work?
Did you try different propellants and different charge
weights? Did you only try the one ignition source?
If you're shooting those sabot doo-dads, is there any
plastic fouling in the bore? I've had plastic in a
shotgun, and it would screw things up until cleaned out.
JMHO- if you already have a gun that feels good to
you, you've already got it half whooped.
I'd work on projectiles and loads before I'd send it
down the road. And it's already paid for

Good Luck

Last edited by Ranger99; 04/21/21.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well you certainly violated the rule that requires encouraging folks to spend a bunch of money!😛

To the OP:

Ranger99 makes some good points.

Most sources suggest that pelleted propellants are somewhat less accurate than “powder”. The Wayne van Zwoll article on the latest 777 iteration, Firestar pellets, in the 2020 Hodgdon Annual, reported very good accuracy with those. I’ve always used powders, and have gotten best accuracy, and good performance on game with 80-100gr. with sabots and various conicals and even RBs. Since I consider all MLs 100 or so yard guns, I see no reason for more powder, and not all sabots handle higher charges well. Harvester Crush Ribs work very well, and can be used with regular pistol bullets at a considerable savings over assembled projectiles. Hornady 300gr .452 XTPs have shot well and killed well. If you want to buy them ready-made, the Barnes 290gr T-EZs are accurate and deadly too.

If your rifle is able to handle it, consider switching to BH209. You will need hot 209 primers, not the mild 777 type, which might be hard to find right now. Accuracy and power are right up there with the best.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Is your Optima the first model? If so look at the new V2 Optima. It is a nice upgrade with much better looks and great accuracy. My brother has the TC Impact and it is a great value if you can get past the wonky lockup mechanism.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ranger - I’ve toyed with keeping it but am looking for a really short, light timber hunter version. Indeed my Optima is a nice gun and I really enjoy it for what it is but I’d like to add a specialty model.

Pappy - I hear ya on powder and projectile options & will definitely check out the Hodgdon annual that I’ve got down in the reloading room. Lots of detail that I’ll dig into - much appreciated! Other than a single tray of Rem muzzleloader 209 primers I’ve only got regular WW209 primers that I use for shotgun reloading. As you can see I’m starting from scratch with the muzzleloading effort and with today’s availability, I will have to piece together a recipe.

Leon - Yes it’s the first model without the Begara barrel.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
A T/C Omega X7 is your huckleberry. Out of production and hard to find nowdays though. Why not just shorten the barrel on your Optima? Or buy a new V2 and cut the barrel between the thimbles.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot the tc triumph, blackhorn 209 and Rio primers. I cut my barrel to 21”. It’s a deer killer, love hunting with both of mine. I really haven’t found any other gun on the market that I’d concider a improvement over this setup.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 3,300 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.