-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My issue with Tundras is my resale stays so high I am always tempted to trade it in and get a new one. Fighting the urge still while I wait to see what the 2022 looks like. If they mess it up, the 2015 will be the ride for a long time.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
You will get positive and negative info on all the brands i'm sure. Buy what you like (looks and performance) and don't look back. I currently have a '17 Tundra TRD PRO 6.5' bed (not available any more) and I am extremely happy.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
2011 Silverado with 217,000 miles (purchased in2013 with 9600 miles). Other than the obvious brakes and tires I’ve replaced:
Fuel pump $800
Front wheel hub assemblies $700 (getting close to round 2)
Oil pressure sensor:$300
Struts/shocks $500
Air filter upgrade $100
At 90k I had a fluid (antifreeze-transmission) service since my wife started running a 22’ enclosed trailer peddling clothes.

Best truck I’ve ever owned. Even with current mileage the power is still there, not as good as it was, but still better than our 4.8l work trucks brand new.

Will most likely stick with GM on the next one. Just my $0.02 though

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MWN
FYI, the 'rear locker' on the GM half-tons is an electronic version which only kicks in when you are already in doo-doo. I prefer actual lockers that you can engage prior to doo-doo spots.

BTW, I have a 2010 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra Z71. 124,000 miles and no issues other than wearables. I plan to keep it on the road until about 2 years into the coming electric trucks being introduced. If I change my mind on the electric thing I'll get a Ram Rebel or Colorado ZR2.

You mean the traction control they call a locker? Agreed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DrGnarr
Anyone have any input into the 2020-2021 Silverado 1500? Considering one. Reliability. Issues. Positives and negatives?
Also considering the 2.4L Turbo, as I don’t tow anything and good gas mileage is important because I get paid mileage for work travels. Drove one yesterday and it seems to have plenty of snap. Basic truck with nothing added on, 4x4 with a locking rear dif. Anyway, any personal experience input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I bought a Silverado with the 4 cyl 2.7 L turbo in December of 2019. It was a great deal and has been an excellent work truck. I have the 4 door crew cab all-star edition with 4 wd and cold weather package (which is great). Currently getting 20 mpg after breaking in with mostly city driving. HP and Torque is outstanding with this motor even at low rpm. Locking rear differential is so good in the winter I don't even think about going into 4wd mode unless there is at least 6" of snow on the road. Tons of room in the back seat and lots of storage space under the seat if you add an after market storage box. Front seats have lots of leg room, not cramped like Toyota. Lots of storage in front also including two glove boxes and a lockable underseat storage box for your concealed carry sidearm. Good bluetooth for hands free phone connection. Visibility is a little constrained over the larger hood. Handling is truck like not car like. Not a big deal to someone who is used to driving a pickup. One regret is not getting the upraded camera and display. Try all the options for cameras/ displays before deciding.

Overall I have recorded 19.8 mpg since the beginning for all driving and have recorded up to 26.8 mpg on a few occasions for highway mileage. My current mileage seems to be improving after 18,000 miles. No repairs yet other than oil changes and a battery replacement covered by warranty.

God Bless America
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Originally Posted by oneoneshot
I will never buy GM again, not with their corporate anti-USA rhetoric. Was a loyal customer for 50 years, 3 vehicles still here, but never again.

GM is not on the side of America.

^^^^^^^^^^
This!

Worked for a major supplier to GM for 40 years. Very entitled company since the bailout with a “too big to fail attitude”.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ken158
When I sold my Silverado and bought a Toyota, I was hooked. Never again will I own a GM product.

👆🏻👆🏻 THIS👆🏻👆🏻

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Bought a new 2018 Chevrolet crew cab 4x4 and have been very disappointed in it. Trips back to the dealership, paint that is so thin that if you look at it wrong will chip. I have only drove GM products but will be switching to Ford.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got 30k miles on my 2020 Tundra. Only complaint is the short bed. But I’ve got a real truck for doing real truck things.

I think the new GMCs look the best. Miss my 2003 I had for 11 years and 230k trouble free miles.

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
Originally Posted by MWN
FYI, the 'rear locker' on the GM half-tons is an electronic version which only kicks in when you are already in doo-doo. I prefer actual lockers that you can engage prior to doo-doo spots.

BTW, I have a 2010 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra Z71. 124,000 miles and no issues other than wearables. I plan to keep it on the road until about 2 years into the coming electric trucks being introduced. If I change my mind on the electric thing I'll get a Ram Rebel or Colorado ZR2.

You mean the traction control they call a locker? Agreed.

Yep, I've been stuck going downhill a time or two (in snowdrifts) and that GM 'traction control' didn't impress me much.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Why is it that Nissan Titans are never mentioned in these truck threads??

Say what you want about them, I don't care because I drive a Tundra and love it.

Another question; Why is this truck thread in the Classifieds? smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Chevy?
The new 10 speed has been very problematic for many, the turbo 4 cyl is pretty impressive and gets good mileage.
Both the 5.3 and 6.2 are good engines for the most part but have had problems with the engine management crap under the intake.
We run a fleet of Chevys at work and they are far from trouble free but I would imagine that could be said for most.

I am impressed with the new Ram trucks but have no dealings with them other than driving a couple.
Ford owners I know have had some issues with a variety of things but nothing major, the ecoboost engines have impressive power but the 5.0 is pretty much trouble free according to tech guys at the dealership.

Long haul? I would buy the new Tundra and never look back, who knows what the mileage will be? what kind of power it will have? how it will drive? we hear speculation.
People wonder why it has taken so long for the new truck? I have faith they will get it right out of the gate, too much is riding on it not being right, I hope anyway because I'm in the market for a new truck next year and after owning one since 07 I will buy another.

I certainly hope they offer an electric locker though, the traction control crap sucks, my biggest gripe other than the healthy appetite.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a 2.7 liter turbocharged 4 cylinder and my 2020 Silverado has one. It blows the 2011 4.8L V8 Silverado off the road that I traded in on it. I love driving my truck

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You would be lucky to get a 2021 by 2022.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bought a 2019 Silverado on price. End of the year plus incentives. Had a Tacoma and wanted to go back to a full size. Been good so far but I don't intend to keep it more than 4-5 years.
I would have bought a Tundra but that truck is long overdue for an upgrade and the gas mileage sucks. My 5.3 Chevy averages around 20mpg about the same as the Tacoma.
If Tundra upgrades appeal to me I may go with it next time which at my age could very well be my last truck.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The rear window will leak in the 2021, the issue started in 2019 and GM has yet to address it. I have a window on order now with only 11k miles on it. It may or may not fix it. The rear spoiler above rear window is also poorly designed and allows water into the headliner. A lot of lifter issues in these trucks also. Knock on wood, I can deal with a leaky window, but not an engine rebuild.

My 2020 5.3 gets around 16-17 in city and 20 on highway.

I'll check out the new tundras when they come out, but I had to buy something last fall as my old truck had given me all it had...and I just got too good a deal on my sierra.

Last edited by killerv; 04/22/21.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jmdriver
2011 Silverado with 217,000 miles (purchased in2013 with 9600 miles). Other than the obvious brakes and tires I’ve replaced:
Fuel pump $800
Front wheel hub assemblies $700 (getting close to round 2)
Oil pressure sensor:$300
Struts/shocks $500
Air filter upgrade $100
At 90k I had a fluid (antifreeze-transmission) service since my wife started running a 22’ enclosed trailer peddling clothes.

Best truck I’ve ever owned. Even with current mileage the power is still there, not as good as it was, but still better than our 4.8l work trucks brand new.

Will most likely stick with GM on the next one. Just my $0.02 though

you must of had some bad trucks if thats the best one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by killerv
The rear window will leak in the 2021, the issue started in 2019 and GM has yet to address it. I have a window on order now with only 11k miles on it. It may or may not fix it. The rear spoiler above rear window is also poorly designed and allows water into the headliner. A lot of lifter issues in these trucks also. Knock on wood, I can deal with a leaky window, but not an engine rebuild.

My 2020 5.3 gets around 16-17 in city and 20 on highway.

I'll check out the new tundras when they come out, but I had to buy something last fall as my old truck had given me all it had...and I just got too good a deal on my sierra.

Only if it's a sliding rear window

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The Op was asking about a Silverado.He probably does not care about your Ford,Dodge or Toyota.Just sayin!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
Read up on the 10speed transmission problems. Buddies with 2020 and 2021 have both had transmission problems.

Bullchit..10 speeds are pretty decent trannys developed by GM & Ford..

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.