Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
God Bless her...and her family and loved ones.

Freedom is not free...in peacetime or in war.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
She signed her name on the dotted line for this Country. She gave her life training to defend it. May God bless and keep her. May He give comfort to her friends and family.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I always preferred the helo jumps.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

If schit goes bad in a plane at least you have some time to try and get out unlike a helicopter which drops like a rock.. I was in a pretty bad crash landing in a helicopter and lost a friends who died in another helicopter crash. I went on a Hind in Russia on a remote fishing trip and that thing shook and rattled the entire flight. Talk about pucker.

Ill take a plane any day.

Originally Posted by troublesome82
Originally Posted by ribka
[

quote=simonkenton7]Static line jump from a helicopter.

https://www.fayobserver.com/story/n...fort-bragg-airborne-accident/7319063002/

Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by troublesome82
A sad deal. Rest in Peace, Airborne! Training kills occasionally and any number of things can go wrong on a jump!

True words. I spent 4 years in the 82nd. Losses were not common, but did happen a little too often. Still, more troops were killed driving drunk than parachuting every year. Stuff is gonna happen with young kids ( like I was) being out on their own for the first time. Exactly like in civilian life.

Horrible news.wonder what happened? We had one guy die during our training and some pretty bad injuries. I always hated riding and training in helicopters.

I actually loved the jumps out of Hueys and Chinooks, (Ch46's for amphibious training) C-130's and 141's not so much cuz it usually meant beaucoup dudes in the sky , no moon and wind!
[/quote]

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
She was a helluva lot more Man than a certain poster here is.

There’s nothing stupid about high risks training.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rest in Peace, Trooper.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by jnyork
Damn training accidents. Another brave, dedicated American gone.

During WWII, the Army Air Forces lost over 30,000 dead that never left the 48.

Wow.

I didn't realize it was that many.

for every American soldiers killed in combat during WW 2, 3 were killed in training accidents...

right around 300,000 were lost in combat in all services in ALL Theatres...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
She signed her name on the dotted line for this Country. She gave her life training to defend it. May God bless and keep her. May He give comfort to her friends and family.

Well said Joel.. very well said.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
In Yuma my Son almost bit the dust when his chute fouled about 750-1000 ft.from impact.

When the rest of his group got to him he was sitting up,they thought he was dead.

These things happen sometimes in military training.

Prayers for the family.

Last edited by plainsman456; 04/21/21.
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Didn't see many women in the service in 69, in fact don't remember seeing any except for a few nurses, and a couple riggers. Though at that time they weren't allowed to jump, most still did on their own time and with their own equipment. At the time most all of our jumps were from 500 feet. Most were also at night. Had quite a few from Huey's, they weren't hovering, you still caught blast of wind, but getting out over the skids made it seem strange, sometimes spinning you around or so it felt. Women have come a long ways in the military in the last 50 years. Any training death is hard to take, but more so when its a girl. I heard about this a couple days ago, but at the time they hadn't given any specifics or even said it was a girl. Sorry to hear.

Phil

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
RIP Spc. Abigail Jenks.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
There are patriots willing to put all they are on the line.

You, I doubt, are one of those.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Stupid games...

?

Her job was an especially stupid one for a female. She played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. She doesn't get any special recognition for wasting tax dollars along with all the other silly progressives weakening our military. The left doesn't care how many like her die as long as they can populate the military with people allied to them.

Last edited by urbaneruralite; 04/21/21.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by jnyork
Damn training accidents. Another brave, dedicated American gone.

During WWII, the Army Air Forces lost over 15,000 dead that never left the 48.

Growing up, I knew a guy that was on a crew that cleaned up after the plane crashes. He said he got to the point that he could pick up body parts in one hand and eat a candy bar in the other.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Stupid games...

?

Her job was an especially stupid one for a female. She played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. She doesn't get any special recognition for wasting tax dollars along with all the other silly progressives weakening our military. The left doesn't care how many like her die as long as they can populate the military with people allied to them.

Your opinion regarding this soldier.

Not mine.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone experienced in static line jumps from a helicopter? What could have gone wrong?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I will ask my son tomorrow.

I know he has done halo,haho and lots of jumps from a chopper over Guam.

On those jumps he said they tried not to hit dry land because then the boats would be no good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Anyone experienced in static line jumps from a helicopter? What could have gone wrong?

The chute may have failed to fully open due to the slower speed of the helicopter (90 knots) versus the C-130 (120 knots). From the airplane, you are moving forward as you fall and the chute is designed to open in part using that air flow. Typically you fall 200 feet before the chute fully opens. since helicopters fly slower they have to fly higher and hope your terminal velocity is enough to wrest the chute open.

Cigarette rolls and streamers happen even from the faster planes.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Dad said helicopter jumps were fun.

You just have your feet on the skids and jump out.

I am MAGA.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,124
Posts18,464,622
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.