Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I didn't know Redfield had enough weight in its name to be worth buying these days. They were hot in the 80-90's, but then the industry blew up.

Wrong.

Redfield didn't fail because "the industry blew up". They failed because chemicals from their manufacturing processes leaked into the soil and leached into the groundwater. The company folded because they could not afford the environmental remediation. After years of Clinton rule, they were likely feeling the pinch of off-shore competition. But it was the pollution issues that put them under.

https://extras.denverpost.com/news/news1231a.htm

http://www.redfieldsite.org/sitehistory.htm

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Redfield always has been a loser with cheap crap!!

Guess again ...... The recent Revolutions are a very good value and trusted scope here. I'd buy more.

+2

Also, original Redfield scopes were highly respected. The "Illuminator" line was pretty high tech in the 80s.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Plumdog
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Bruce sounds like a homo.

Yeah, where are these "Elite Outdoor Athletes" and what do they do with optics?

I dont know about Bruce's sexual preferences, but dodging the word "hunter" by saying "elite outdoor athletes" is pure libtard political correctness. I dont think I'll be spending any more money on Leupold products.

700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Limapapa

I dont know about Bruce's sexual preferences, but dodging the word "hunter" by saying "elite outdoor athletes" is pure libtard political correctness. I dont think I'll be spending any more money on Leupold products.

Leupold makes more than rifle scopes for hunters

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Limapapa

“Elite outdoor athletes” are the guys that hunt with death metal playing in the background.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I bought a 3-9 when they first revived the brand. Found it to be pretty much as vague with regard the adjustments as VX-2s, and not as pretty. I’d take a friction-knob VX-1 over either. Price was the sole attraction, and now years later, Burris FFs cost about the same, no doubt due to being made in the Philippines, and are better.

I concede the Burris adjustments are more audible and precise, but I can't tell a bit of difference in the glass and the Redfield had longer and more forgiving eye relief. They seem to stay set once zeroed too.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
probably will just continue the slide downhill for Redfield.

That's what I'm guessing too, Sam. Shame

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Originally Posted by wink_man
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Guess again ...... The recent Revolutions are a very good value and trusted scope here. I'd buy more.

+1

+2

+3

+ 4

Got two 2-7x that I love & would not trade.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Redfield always has been a loser with cheap crap!!

Not even close there Sharpsman.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Redfield has just been a name since production ceased in Denver.

I thought that Leupold resurrected the Redfield name to have a lower cost line of scopes to take up additional catalog and shelf space. I expected Leupold to drop the Rifleman line of lower cost scopes, but they didn't. The Rifleman line always confused me, as the wholesale prices for the Rifleman and comparable VX-1 scopes were always within a few dollars of each other, so there was hardly any financial benefit for a dealer to buy the Rifleman line instead of the VX-1 line.

I don't know where the Redfield lines were intended to integrate with the existing Leupold lines, but the Revolution line seemed to have about the same optical quality as the Vx1 Leupolds.

I have 4 Redfield Revolutions and they seem to be decent scopes.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
So will Leupold still warranty the Redfield scopes?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Redfield has just been a name since production ceased in Denver.

I thought that Leupold resurrected the Redfield name to have a lower cost line of scopes to take up additional catalog and shelf space. I expected Leupold to drop the Rifleman line of lower cost scopes, but they didn't. The Rifleman line always confused me, as the wholesale prices for the Rifleman and comparable VX-1 scopes were always within a few dollars of each other, so that was hardly any financial benefit for a dealer to buy the Rifleman line instead of the VX-1 line.

I don't know where the Redfield lines were intended to integrate with the existing Leupold lines, but the Revolution line seemed to have about the same optical quality as the Vx1 Leupolds.

I have 4 Redfield Revolutions and they seem to be decent scopes.

The physical specs of the Rifleman line and their Redfield Revolution siblings of the same magnification/objective were exactly the same. IOW 3-9x40 Rifleman and 3-9x40 Revolution were exactly the same in weight, dimension and spec.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I didn't know Redfield had enough weight in its name to be worth buying these days. They were hot in the 80-90's, but then the industry blew up.

Wrong.

Redfield didn't fail because "the industry blew up". They failed because chemicals from their manufacturing processes leaked into the soil and leached into the groundwater. The company folded because they could not afford the environmental remediation. After years of Clinton rule, they were likely feeling the pinch of off-shore competition. But it was the pollution issues that put them under.

https://extras.denverpost.com/news/news1231a.htm

http://www.redfieldsite.org/sitehistory.htm

I meant the industry blew up with competition since then. There used to be like 5 choices, leupold, weaver, bushnell, burris tasco, etc. Now there are too many scope companies to count. What does Redfield bring to the table? Most younger shooters have never heard of Redfield.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have three Redfield scopes, the first one a 2 3/4 fixed power I bought in 1966. I still have all three, no problems.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
After reducing Leupold's quality to the entry/midrange, it made no sense to have two entry/midrange lines.

Maybe Leupold will use the proceeds to purchase Tangent Theta.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Maybe Academy will move the company to Denver and make something called a widefield.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
John Hill Redfield was born and raised in Douglas County, Oregon. He led an interesting life and was quite the inventor. The local museum has a display regarding his early life and then his development of the rotary drill and his move to Denver.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.