Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
This one is an actual Colt. It's the last in the series of reintroductions of their old percussion revolver models called their Signature Series Colt Black Powder models. It has all the markings, and only those markings, of the originals, came in Colt packaging and with Colt paperwork.

Uberti is said to have made the major parts which they sent rough and unmarked to Colt Black Powder, and the guns were then finished and assembled there, under license from Colt, and under their supervision and specifications. I've heard that Colt handled certain aspects of the finish, like the color case hardening, and possibly the polishing and blueing, at the actual Colt factory.

The Colt 1860 Army is what replaced, in 1860, the Third Model Colt Dragoon as the official US Army sidearm. It's a significantly smaller, lighter, and sleeker, gun, but retains the same caliber, although not quite the same powder capacity. But it's still plenty powerful, permitting up to 40 grains by volume of black powder to be loaded behind the .454 caliber lead balls, but the Third Model Dragoon permitted up to 50 grains of black powder. I was loading this 1860 today with 35 grains of FFFg Goex, which gave it plenty of oomph, and it seemed to like it in terms of accuracy.

[Linked Image]

Here's a nice, one-ragged-hole, six shot, ten yard group, fired off hand, standing.

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hawk you really need to stop this. I'm teetering on an idea that will probably get me in trouble at home. The wife would probably prefer I have an affair than bring yet another gun home. But you just keep shooting the charcoal burners, and I've got it bad for a Uberti 1851 Navy... You're killing me man!

Cool revolver though!!

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
If you're going to get just one, I cannot blame you for choosing the 1851 Navy .36. Sweet guns, as made by Uberti. I recommend, as the first thing you do whenever you buy an Uberti or Pietta cap and ball revolver, is to buy a set of SlixShot nipples for it. Vastly superior to the ones that come with them.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's my favorite BP revolver! (The Army .44)

It shoots like a champ too!

Good stuff!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That has to be a schitload of fun right there.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep. Your killing us TRH. Your gonna force me to go out and buy a BP Revolver! 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big Iron.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very nice!

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
That's my favorite BP revolver! (The Army .44)

It shoots like a champ too!

Good stuff!

Thanks. And with Slixshot nipples, they all function just shy of modern cartridge revolver level in terms of reliability. You get the true feel of what it would be like to have and shoot an original while living in the middle 19th Century. I can't quite say that for the nipples that typically come on these reproductions.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by diamondjim
That has to be a schitload of fun right there.

It is, indeed. I've got a smile on my face the whole time I'm at the range with these things.

I used to have a boss (back in the early 1980s, when I worked in the Hunting, Fishing, and Camping Department of a sporting goods store) who was a Vietnam War vet, a gunsmith, and an avid freshwater fisherman. He almost always fished before coming in to work. He told me it was because "fishing don't count." What he meant was that time fishing isn't counted against how long you have in this world. I kind of feel that way about cap and ball revolver shooting.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Yep. Your killing us TRH. Your gonna force me to go out and buy a BP Revolver! 🤠

Stop threatening to, and do it. grin

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Makes sense to me.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have one also, but mine is 159 years old, and could still be shot if I was careful.
I just love the way they look and feel, enjoy yours, it may not be original, but close enough that you know what the original would feel like.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"The older I get, the better I was"
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jbmi
I have one also, but mine is 159 years old, and could still be shot if I was careful.
I just love the way they look and feel, enjoy yours, it may not be original, but close enough that you know what the original would feel like.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Like.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
This one is an actual Colt. It's the last in the series of reintroductions of their old percussion revolver models called their Signature Series Colt Black Powder models. It has all the markings, and only those markings, of the originals, came in Colt packaging and with Colt paperwork.

Uberti is said to have made the major parts which they sent rough and unmarked to Colt Black Powder, and the guns were then finished and assembled there, under license from Colt, and under their supervision and specifications. I've heard that Colt handled certain aspects of the finish, like the color case hardening, and possibly the polishing and blueing, at the actual Colt factory.

The Colt 1860 Army is what replaced, in 1860, the Third Model Colt Dragoon as the official US Army sidearm. It's a significantly smaller, lighter, and sleeker, gun, but retains the same caliber, although not quite the same powder capacity. But it's still plenty powerful, permitting up to 40 grains by volume of black powder to be loaded behind the .454 caliber lead balls, but the Third Model Dragoon permitted up to 50 grains of black powder. I was loading this 1860 today with 35 grains of FFFg Goex, which gave it plenty of oomph, and it seemed to like it in terms of accuracy.

[Linked Image]

Here's a nice, one-ragged-hole, six shot, ten yard group, fired off hand, standing.

[Linked Image]
Very nice gun and nice group.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Very nice gun and nice group.

Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She sure is purty.
Enjoy..
It seems (from the group) that you two are a good pair.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I enjoy the blackpowder posts hawkeye. Nice shooting!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Rifling? I think the originals had 7 grooves. My Williamson. 36 has 6 groove square. The original nipples smashed in about 3 uses. But it was bought at Woolworths for $50 in 1971.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by kennyd
Rifling? I think the originals had 7 grooves. My Williamson. 36 has 6 groove square. The original nipples smashed in about 3 uses. But it was bought at Woolworths for $50 in 1971.

I guess the metallurgy in reproduction percussion revolvers was quite bad back then. I suspect they were made in the 1970s under the impression that most would end up being wall hangers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
146 members (35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 160user, 14 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.