Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
local White Castle now closes at 7:30pm because they can't get workers
Arbys / Taco Bell stopped serving breakfast because they can't get workers
Was in Burger King this morning in the drive thru, woman left her headset on and I heard her telling someone else that they have one more person coming in at 8 and they're just going to have to live with it.

Every fast food place has a now hiring sign

Seems like if you wanted to make $15 an hour there are plenty of opportunities for it around here.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
That’s sucks.

I had kids, and know kids that worked in FF. The biggest biotch they all had was management. Poor management drives off workers. Unfair hour allotment....they have there favorites...

Heck when my one daughter was 16 she was closing a subway by herself. Later she went to work at Fudds’ and started assistant manager training after she turned 18.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If these employers are offering $15 and have no workers, then it seems that that wage is too low. If it takes $17.50 to get workers, then that is the fair wage in that market, no? That sounds like a sign of a good economy. Or maybe it just indicates that unemployment benefits are too high.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't know what they are offering as pay

Seems like they'd be offering whatever they had to in order to get people there. I have to believe missing out on 3-4 hours of business each day costs more than paying an additional $3 an hour , but maybe the math doesn't add up.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WMR
If these employers are offering $15 and have no workers, then it seems that that wage is too low. If it takes $17.50 to get workers, then that is the fair wage in that market, no? That sounds like a sign of a good economy. Or maybe it just indicates that unemployment benefits are too high.

Market sets the wage, if management doesn't like it they can get off their fat arses and do the work themselves.

Minimum is just that, the minimum they can legally pay...they can also pay anything over and above that, but rarely do, preferring to bitch about people not wanting to work...then importing foreign pricks to undercut the locals.

Simple, I do not support local business' that do not support locals.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
That’s sucks.

I had kids, and know kids that worked in FF. The biggest biotch they all had was management. Poor management drives off workers. Unfair hour allotment....they have there favorites...

Heck when my one daughter was 16 she was closing a subway by herself. Later she went to work at Fudds’ and started assistant manager training after she turned 18.

we have a local neighborhood group on facebook and all people do is complain about how horrible the service is at these places. I think workers in these places are just burned out from Covid. There have been at least a dozen times in the last year where we wanted to grab a sandwich and the line was wrapped around the building in the drive thru.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by KFWA
I don't know what they are offering as pay

Seems like they'd be offering whatever they had to in order to get people there. I have to believe missing out on 3-4 hours of business each day costs more than paying an additional $3 an hour , but maybe the math doesn't add up.

I agree with your logic. In our business we try to hire the best people we can find, treat them well, and pay them enough to keep them. In the long run, I think we come out way ahead this way, rather than going cheap and having lots of turnover. Looking around, it is apparent that not all employers agree with this idea.

A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Too many workers getting "paid" to stay home. The two local grocery stores I shop both have card tables with stacks of application forms and pens on them. No one applies.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That’s sucks.

I’m guessing the problem has nothing to do with management.

Maybe giving children IPhones when they’re 10 years old?

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by WMR

Market sets the wage, if management doesn't like it they can get off their fat arses and do the work themselves.

Minimum is just that, the minimum they can legally pay...they can also pay anything over and above that, but rarely do, preferring to bitch about people not wanting to work...then importing foreign pricks to undercut the locals.

I tend to agree, the market does set the wage and if there are no workers, sitting around talking about how you shouldn't have to pay a guy to make a sandwich more than minimum means that someone else will.

and flooding the market with illegals to do the work doesn't help the American worker - which leads to a host of other problems in society we have to deal with (and pay for )

A friend of mine is a millionaire multiple times over, he was complaining to me how he can't get good people at his company, which isn't fast food, they are a manufacturer and we were talking about what he paid them , he said "yea, I guess they'd rather work at Burger King than work for us"

now I know why he is a millionaire, it ain't from paying a decent wage.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/23/21.

IC B3

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It think JSTUART just summed up my philosophy in 21 words. Not much to argue with there!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My family is helping all small business....for get all small restaurants we do not go out to eat at all....hope they all go out of business.....
Very simple solution don't pay unemployment go back to the rules we had before the Covid bull sh*t.....

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I think part of the problem is that America has raised a generation of lazy, entitled kids. "Mommy and Daddy will by me a car, pay for school, reward me for minimal to no effort". I remember wanting a parts bike to combine with mine that became available for $5. I was about 10. Dad said, "It's good to have goals".

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by WMR

Fact.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My wife has a niece who started clerking in a C-store, minimum wage. She wasn't afraid to work and was soon managing the store. Now she's a regional manager for the chain making near 6 figures. Of course she wasn't a dropout or a druggie like so many kids. She has the smarts and uses them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My son just posted a hiring notice on Facebook soliciting entry-level employees for the power plant where he works. It’s a utility position, no particular skills required, just show up and do what you’re told. (It’s where he started 10 years ago, and after 5 years became an operations supervisor with a 6 figure salary, so advancement is very possible.) Not long ago, people would have been lined up for the jobs before the notice was made public. Now they have to go looking (on Facebook no less.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Actually, facebook is getting very popular for classifieds. My wife uses it quite a bit. No guns, of course.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AML
Too many workers getting "paid" to stay home..
That's part of it for sure.

Originally Posted by kroo88
That’s sucks.

I’m guessing the problem has nothing to do with management.

Maybe giving children IPhones when they’re 10 years old?

That too..

Originally Posted by OGB
I think part of the problem is that America has raised a generation of lazy, entitled kids. "Mommy and Daddy will by me a car, pay for school, reward me for minimal to no effort".
ABSOlutely!!!! Work ethic's in the toilet - and that (IMHO) is a lack of parenting..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The big grocery store chain around here is Ingles. I shop there and it is a great store. There are at least 100 Ingles stores in several states.
Two months ago Ingles bigwig management decided to install a Starbucks in our local Ingles. They spent a lot of money, they remodeled the entrance and tore up the floor installing plumbing and wiring etc. They are soon going to build the Starbucks inside the grocery store.

I was talking to the assistant manager he says he has been mandated to hire 13 new employees and he just can't get the kids to hire on to work at Starbucks. This store is right next to the high school so a kid could get out of school at 3 and walk right over and work until 9 and his mom could come pick him up.
The assistant manager told me "The kids are afraid of work."

I don't know what the pay is. When I was in school I worked for 2 years at minimum wage as a bag boy at the local grocery store. I had 6 buddies from high school who worked at that same store and some of the girl students were cashiers there. Everybody I knew had a job in 12th grade.

I think the kids today are lacking a work ethic.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OGB
I think part of the problem is that America has raised a generation of lazy, entitled kids. "Mommy and Daddy will by me a car, pay for school, reward me for minimal to no effort". I remember wanting a parts bike to combine with mine that became available for $5. I was about 10. Dad said, "It's good to have goals".
I had some friends who bought their daughter a car for graduation....from drivers training. The 1st week she hit 2 cars in the school parking lot.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,740
Posts18,457,663
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.