Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
fox pro. I love my shock wave. oh and I also love my snow/crow pro

The shockwave has great sound and speakers for playing the digital sounds, but it's a bit big and heavy for the way I hunt... walking quite a distance to where I make stands. You make 10-15 stands a day, and the size/weight starts to drag on you. wink

I still have and use my old Fury caller. Just the right size. I've killed more coyotes coming to that caller than the plague. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Icotec has been a reliable, less expensive, call for me for two years now. Good starter call to see if you like it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by thardy
Icotec has been a reliable, less expensive, call for me for two years now. Good starter call to see if you like it.

I've got an Icotec too. It's easy to use, has a built in motion decoy, and a 300 yard remote range.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fox pro cs24, shockwave are the best imo. Lucky ducks have good sounds. Remotes are not hand friendly for me, screen to small as well vs the FoxPro tx500 or tx1000.
I owned 2 lucky duck calls, took em back.
Both will call in coyote and do the job.
I keep hand calls on me, sometimes they just out preform electronics.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hate to show my age.
We started with a mouth call.
Then reel to reel tape recorder.
Next a cassette recorder.
Then electronic
Back to mouth call.
Big difference between mouth call-and others is when you have called out an area and the varmints are wise. You can change to a wood pecker or sea gull. Like hunting virgin country. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Have had good luck with icotec 300 for a few years. Furthest I've tried remote is about 80 yards.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Forgot to mention call of the wild record player. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Forgot to mention call of the wild record player. Hasbeen

I still have some old Johnny Stewart and Burnham Bros. first attempts at automated calling...

We have come a LONG ways.

But, in reality, having an electronic caller won't make a good predator hunter out of someone. In fact, it has damaged a lot of good calling areas, and educated a lot of predators.

If someone doesn't know how to call, setup, and be stealthy, they are probably doing more harm than good. (But you'll never convince them of that.) wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
[quote=hasbeen1945]Forgot to mention call of the wild record player. Hasbeen [/quote

But, in reality, having an electronic caller won't make a good predator hunter out of someone. In fact, it has damaged a lot of good calling areas, and educated a lot of predators.

If someone doesn't know how to call, setup, and be stealthy, they are probably doing more harm than good. (But you'll never convince them of that.) wink

Very true!

I would say that most of the recipe for a successful stand is selecting the stand.

For example, if you set up with a brushy ravine/creek 100yds downwind of you, you will not see a coyote.

So, if you are a new coyote hunter, grab your call and go to a large, open area where coyotes can't be hunted, and practice your techniques there. Note the lay of the land and wind direction, and watch how coyotes approach. You will learn a lot about how coyotes approach the call.

But, back to the original question. Most any of the e-callers will work well. The problem is, on a heavily hunted property, the popular e-calls have been heard by the surviving resident coyotes, and they may not come to that caller again, after they survive getting shot at.

Using your dog as an example, you have been feeding this dog for 5 years. One day, when you call it to you, you give it a swift kick for no reason. Chances are very good that dog will respond to your voice again. If I did that to your dog the first time he heard my voice, do you think he would give me a second chance to kick him?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There's small differences in caller - I don't think it matters all that much though . .

I like to travel light so hand-calls mostly + a homemade decoy [rabbit/squirrel fur] - plastic panfish fishing reel - green spider-wire line connected to a high bush/sage brush jiggle it a bit to catch predators eye .
Also a couple of homemade crow decoys connected to nearby bush , the black bird profile really sticks out + anything going on a crow/magpie will be nosing around . Crow makes predators secure that all is well and something is going on .

Bunham Bros. mini blaster don't leave home without it .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the CS-24, A Shock Wave, and the new X-Wave from FoxPro. All rugged, all work well.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have used the Foxpro Inferno for a long time and it is great. Placing the call 50-60 yards away and using a remote is pretty cool. I cover a lot of ground on foot and like the size and weight. I hunt a lot in the winter and place the caller in an ensolite pouch I taped together and add a handwarmer to extend battery life. I always have a mouthcall in my pocket when in the hills even when I don't have a rifle.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Thanks guys for your input.

If a guy is setting up to call in western Montana for example, a call with a remote might be best.....grizzly bears..

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Cheesy
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Does that come with it's own cart? That thing is GINORMUS!

Kaiser Norton

Last edited by Kaiser Norton; 04/24/21.

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I am kinda liking that foxpro inferno model.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by viking
Thanks guys for your input.

If a guy is setting up to call in western Montana for example, a call with a remote might be best.....grizzly bears..

Yep, choose your ground w/ that in mind and it doesn't hurt to have a partner to watch your 6, they are sneaky fuggers. I've only had blackies come in but it will cause puckering of the terminal sphinctergrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

The shockwave has great sound and speakers for playing the digital sounds, but it's a bit big and heavy for the way I hunt... walking quite a distance to where I make stands. You make 10-15 stands a day, and the size/weight starts to drag on you. wink

I still have and use my old Fury caller. Just the right size. I've killed more coyotes coming to that caller than the plague. smile

I have my Fusion now rigged up to run off A Dakota large battery. Super light batteries the caller will run all day and night. Ran it hard this past fall thru WY and MT. Very happy with the combo.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Osky

I have my Fusion now rigged up to run off A Dakota large battery. Super light batteries the caller will run all day and night. Ran it hard this past fall thru WY and MT. Very happy with the combo.
Edit to note the Dakota 7ah 12volts. You can get higher amp hour units but with a pair this size one is always ready in reserve in case something odd happens.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got an old FoxPro 416 that I've been using for over probably close to 20 years. Works great for my needs. Have called in many a predator with it, and see no need to upgrade.

[Linked Image from farm7.staticflickr.com]

I use it in combination with mouth calls. For coyotes, will typically start the stand off with a few interrogation howls on the mouth blown caller. Wait 3 or so minutes, and if no vocal response (challenge howl, where I'd challenge howl back at them) then start throwing in some distress sounds on the foxpro.

If there's a coyote in the area it may not respond to interrogation howls. But if they're around, they heard it. Throw in some distress sounds, and coyote now thinks someone is in his area AND eating his wabbits.

Coyote(s) come in, pop one (or as many as you can), and immediately get on the howler for some coyote distress (yelps). Many times that brings one or two more running in on afterburners.

Good fun.

During mating season, female invitation holws on the mouth blown howlers can lead to some excitement.

Coyote pup distress sounds also bring them in hot and fast also, and brings in bobcats pretty good as well.

A simple battery operated decoy works wonders as well to get their attention (especially the cats) and get the coming in on a string.

I've got this one. All that is needed.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Couple small and effective packages that work great.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,786 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.