Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Just bought a brand new 336 in 35Rem. I haven't hunted with it yet but am itching to give it a go.

Not all that common a cartridge here but I understand that it's used for deer hunting in our southern states.

I've shot the Leverevolution 200gn at the range and accuracy is outstanding. 3 shots in half an inch at 100yds! I let the barrel cool and shot another rifle, then back to the 336, and next 2 shots also in half inch but inch and a half from the first group.

I've since learned that it prefers the front mag cap screw and band screw to be loose-ish otherwise it strings vertically. The forend is still tight and I think that contributes to the stringing but doesn't help to remove the foreend and mag tube - wouldn't normally shoot it this way anyway though.

Even with pistol bullets it shoots well. I'll let the forend loosen naturally though.

I'd previouly used a 357mag on roos out to 70yds and that was very effective. The 35Rem should be even better. Pigs beware!

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 04/20/21.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Wait until you find a 336ER in 356 Winchester...

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Congratulations, I acquired a 35 Remington this past year and haven’t been able to do anything with it yet, but am looking forward to using it on black bear, hopefully soon. I think anyone that has a 35 Remington should take a look at the link below as there is a ton of information. FYI, I had a 356 win and sold it.

https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/35-remington-bullet-performance-part-ii-handloads.5328/

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm on my second 35 Remington - a 336. I had a 141 Remington which I liked too.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My third 35 Rem rifle was just finished. It's a Win M70 Featherweight with a Sako extractor. I recently loaded some of the (350 Legend) Hornady 165gr FTX bullets with LVR powder. It shoots very well and the bullets maintain 75% of their weight after penetrating 13" of wet newspaper and a piece of 1/2" plywood. My MV is 2393fps. One of these days I'll get a 336 too.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a new Marlin 336 in 35 REM I bought a while ago just have to find the time to shoot it or do something else with it.

Last edited by MAC08; 04/20/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ajf55
Congratulations, I acquired a 35 Remington this past year and haven’t been able to do anything with it yet, but am looking forward to using it on black bear, hopefully soon. I think anyone that has a 35 Remington should take a look at the link below as there is a ton of information. FYI, I had a 356 win and sold it.

https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/35-remington-bullet-performance-part-ii-handloads.5328/

I've killed deer and hogs with them . I am also hoping to connect with bear with one soon. Going to Arkansas next month and look around.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got an old Ballard-rifled, '55 straight grip RC that shoots real well. The 35 is a surprisingly good cartridge when loaded to the potential of the rifle itself,

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sarge have you ever shot cast bullets in it

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The OP's advice about loosening off the front barrel band a bit is correct.
I ran across this advice in a 1960s Gun Digest.

In my opinion the screw should be backed off just enough to allow you to be able to move the magazine tube with some friction with finger pressure. Too loose might give a bit better accuracy, but then you will probably end up with the screw falling out. You could lock it with some clear nail polish I guess, but I prefer not too.

I also noticed that with Marlin half-magazine guns with a steel fore end cap that the magazine cap screw often applies pressure to the barrel if you tighten it fully.
The magazine and cap are retained by a round post that is dovetailed into the barrel underside. The cap screw threads into that post.
The problem is that the magazine tube may press against the steel fore end cap before the screw is fully tightened, which produces torque that pulls down on the barrel.
The real solution would probably be a small shim washer between the tube and the base of the round post, or to remove steel from the fore end cap where it contacts the magazine tube.
The shim washer seems easiest, I think.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 44mc
Sarge have you ever shot cast bullets in it

I tried a Hunters Supply 190 grain cast RNFP over the basic 'start' load of H4895 for 1865 fps. That bullet is advertised as 358 and suitable for 35 Rem, but it was awful in my Ballard rifled 1955 Marlin. This rifle with plant three 200 grain FTX factory loads in 4 1/2 inches at 200 yards. With the Hunters Supply 190, rested 100 yard groups would be measured in feet, not inches.

I mic'ed a couple of these bullets and they were barely .358 and the base, tapering to about .356 at the front driving band. I've had great luck with Hunters Supply bullets in 44 Mag revolvers, so I'm not dogging on the maker. I do think these would make a good heavy bullet for the 357 mag.

Having nothing to lose, I slowed this bullet down to about 1150 fps, over 7.0 grains of w231. The Marlin put three of them in three inches at 100 yards. It's way low at that distance but shoots to the sights at 25 yards and overlaps bullet holes. I'll load the rest of them up like that and use it on junk critters around the farm.

Waste not, want not wink

People I trust tell me these old Ballard rifled 35s want a .359 cast bullet to shoot really well.

Last edited by SargeMO; 04/26/21.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Paco Kelly has posted quite a bit of 35 REM information on the 'net, both loading data and stories about his personal experiences with this cartridge.

The 356 WIN has more case capacity, but if you run the 35 REM at higher than recommended pressures in a Marlin 336, you'll probably not miss having a 356 WIN.

I have shot a few whitetails with 35 REM 200 grain factory load and have not found it lacking. Shot animals in the heart, lungs, or CNS and they die.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had a Marlin 35 rem pre cross bolt safety for quite some time. It is a deer thumper, that's for sure. Anyone who argues that smaller calibers have equal efficacy on big game hasn't had much experience with the mild 35 rem. Haven't yet had the chance to take larger game with one, but I have carried it while hunting elk in the timber. Someday.

Currently mine has a vintage Leupold 1-4 gloss scope that has recently gone TU, so I'm searching for a gloss replacement. Not sure what direction to go. Gloss scopes can be hard to come by these days. I've heard Leupold has been shifting towards replace instead of repair, and I really don't care to mount any current production Leupolds on it.

I have a bunch of the Buffalo Bore +p 220 grn loads for it, and my particular Marlin loves them. It actually shoots the 220 grn Speers very well at lesser velocities as well. I've found the 220 Speer to be a great bullet all around for the 35 rem; I've also used them in my BLR 358 with great results. And they're usually pretty cheap to obtain.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Congrats on your purchase. We love the .35 Rem in New England also.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Dinny
My third 35 Rem rifle was just finished. It's a Win M70 Featherweight with a Sako extractor. I recently loaded some of the (350 Legend) Hornady 165gr FTX bullets with LVR powder. It shoots very well and the bullets maintain 75% of their weight after penetrating 13" of wet newspaper and a piece of 1/2" plywood. My MV is 2393fps. One of these days I'll get a 336 too.

Thanks, Dinny

Any particular reason as to the 35 in a bolt gun? I have a 35 in a 336 so I'm not at all throwing shade on the round; but it does seems kinda odd to have a bolt gun chambered for the cartridge, a 70 FWT no less.

Kinda like buying a thoroughbred racehorse horse, to lead kids on at the petting zoo.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Especially when you could download a 358 Win to 35 Rem or 350 Legend performance w/o spending a fortune nor ending up with a gun with limited resale value.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
You still run into hunters using .35's in the Adirondacks and Catskills occasionally. I had one many years ago and was somewhat underwhelmed with it's performance after a few seasons. I had read for years how it was much more effective on deer sized game than my old faithful .30-30 and simply did not find that to be the case. With .30-30 ammo being much more available and about half the price of .35's, I sent it down the road.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

35 Remington is good handloaders round. Factory cup and core bullets and The rcbs 200 gr cast are good killers. I've done a little huntin with Marlin 336"s and a CVA single shot on deer and hogs and for shots less than a 100 yards it has worked superb. For a couple seasons now it has been my favorite to hunt with.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Ky221
Originally Posted by Dinny
Thanks, Dinny

Any particular reason as to the 35 in a bolt gun? I have a 35 in a 336 so I'm not at all throwing shade on the round; but it does seems kinda odd to have a bolt gun chambered for the cartridge, a 70 FWT no less.

Kinda like buying a thoroughbred racehorse horse, to lead kids on at the petting zoo.

Because I can spend my money on whatever I want. I already have rifles chambered in 357 Max, 358 Win, and 35 Whelen.

Thanks, Dinny

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by NYNY
Especially when you could download a 358 Win to 35 Rem or 350 Legend performance w/o spending a fortune nor ending up with a gun with limited resale value.

I don't plan to do any of what you mention.

Thanks, Dinny

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,099 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.