Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
The productivity and quality of work of our support staff has declined significantly since they have been working from home. I sure hope they reopen the office soon.

Not trying to pick a fight, but that's a management issue, not a manpower issue. Our experience has been the opposite.

Are there people who are taking advantage of the situation or need direct supervision? Sure, but with the proper tools and leadership those people are pretty easy to weed out of your organization, and with a good WFH model you should be able to replace them from anywhere in the country.

I'm reaching back to my grad level management classes from 30 years ago, but around that time there was also a big WFH movement with the advent of the computer. The data showed that, ON AVERAGE, productivity was good at first, and then gradually started to decline. The biggest issue, then, and I suspect will be today, was the inability to instill a company culture and "esprit de corps" among the employees.

The logical conclusion of that progression is that everyone slides into the gig economy, working under platforms like task rabbit, and the concept of long term employment loses it dominance. We already see this in Europe with it's stringent labor laws. Companies just contract, they don't hire unless they absolutely have no other choice whatsoever.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
All you guys that claim WFH is so great. Doesn't your wife raise hell while you're bangin the secretary on your deck.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T10jumper
All you guys that claim WFH is so great. Doesn't your wife raise hell while you're bangin the secretary on your deck.

I have noticed the housekeeper drinks on the job

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
I can see a good business opportunity there for re-developing commercial property into residential

Manhattan's apartment rental vacancy rate has tripled to 6.1%.

https://ipropertymanagement.com/research/rental-vacancy-rate

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dutch
The biggest issue, then, and I suspect will be today, was the inability to instill a company culture and "esprit de corps" among the employees.

My company went from "Don't even ask" to probably 80%+ will be staying home when we "return to the office" in June. It doesn't seem like company "leadership" is concerned that this will negatively impact our company culture, which is arguably our biggest differentiator and competitive advantage. To me it seems like they're betting the company on something that will be incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to ever walk back.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RufusG
The biggest issue, then, and I suspect will be today, was the inability to instill a company culture and "esprit de corps" among the employees.

My company went from "Don't even ask" to probably 80%+ will be staying home when we "return to the office" in June. It doesn't seem like company "leadership" is concerned that this will negatively impact our company culture, which is arguably our biggest differentiator and competitive advantage. To me it seems like they're betting the company on something that will be incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to ever walk back.

I've read reports that 1 in 4 employees plan on leaving their current job after that pandemic restrictions are pulled back.

If you are mandating office workers commute to work every day for the office environment and other jobs are offering a flexible work schedule, you're probably going to be negatively affected by attrition.

It may not be something management is happy about doing but realizes they have to do it otherwise employees will leave.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/23/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
I've read reports that 1 in 4 employees plan on leaving their current job after that pandemic restrictions are pulled back.

If you are mandating office workers commute to work every day for the office environment and other jobs are offering a flexible work schedule, you're probably going to be negatively affected by attrition.

It may not be something management is happy about doing but realizes they have to do it otherwise employees will leave.

I can see that being an issue but I'm going to guess the actual impact ends up being way less than 1 in 4.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B

For me, and this is just me, but I HAD a 45 minute commute each way on a good day if the weather was nice. Doing the math that's about 390 hours a year in the car that I'm not getting paid for, not to mention the gas. Now my commute is about 13 steps from my basement office to my living room. As a result I can stay later or start earlier and get more accomplished in the same week. My company has bent over backwards to keep people employed and productive through this mess. I can't imagine they would change that now. They are certainly aware of the attrition risk.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There are many, many jobs that can be done by a cell phone and not much else about three days a week.

For some reason this annoys the stupid. Typically.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'd bet it's not just Manhattan (although it could fall in the river for all I care).

The Genie is out of the bottle as far as the WFH model. I know I and 95% of my company has been WFH for 14 months now and we've proven it to be efficient and secure. Our leadership is now considering making it a permanent option for many employees, and why not? If 80% or more of the workforce can WFH, it allows management so many more options.

I would not want to be heavily invested in commercial real estate at this point. YMMV.

And there it is.

I know that the phrase is long overused but as work goes and the future of work goes, there’s been a paradigm shift.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
my company , at least in America, is having its strongest year ever, and thats with WFH being mandated - all of our offices in the US are empty.

They are already closing smaller offices and renegotiating rates on bigger ones. There is a downside to it though as well - the perks we used to have at larger offices - an onsite cafeteria, fully stocked coffee stations on each floor, catered meetings, etc - all of that is going to be gone as well.

I don't have a long commute so part of me wants to go back into the office, especially with the freedom on choosing the days I go into work. But a part time model doesn't really make the office all that appealing - you'll never know who will be in the office, so I suspect all the offices will just become meeting spaces. If we go into the office at all, they'll need to mandate times for us, otherwise we might as well just work at home and video conference

I agree that office spaces rates are going to nosedive. You're going to have to offer something substantial to motivate people to use the office space post pandemic.

Same here.

My team has people moving out of the city to different parts of the country. It's unlikely we will ever go back to the old office environment. I'm expecting us to down size our office space footprint by around 60%

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The biggest downfall of all this is going to be an even larger percentage of dick heads that gotta have their five acres, a horse, and a noise ordinance against gun fire.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
10,000 + people a day leave New York,the taxes,the crime,the swarm of illeagles. People are voting with their feet,and taking their money with them.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Empty offices=the new section 8 housing opportunity

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by superlight17b
10,000 + people a day leave New York,the taxes,the crime,the swarm of illeagles. People are voting with their feet,and taking their money with them.

Good!!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

For me, and this is just me, but I HAD a 45 minute commute each way on a good day if the weather was nice. Doing the math that's about 390 hours a year in the car that I'm not getting paid for, not to mention the gas. Now my commute is about 13 steps from my basement office to my living room. As a result I can stay later or start earlier and get more accomplished in the same week. My company has bent over backwards to keep people employed and productive through this mess. I can't imagine they would change that now. They are certainly aware of the attrition risk.

My sister is now fully WFH. She was starting at 6, getting up at 4 to battle traffic and sometimes up to 3 hours to get home. She is now up at 5-530, logs on and works. She is done by 12 but is way happier with the quality of her life and doesn't have to deal with the office manager she can't stand.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I know in our state the vacation area in Northern MI is seeing a flood of new home buyers driving prices up. The inventory is so low people can't sell because they won't have anything to move into. Building supplies are so expensive that new home starts are 35% higher per square foot.

One thing I have yet to hear is the huge reduction in dropped mileage on the highways. Reducing fuel consumption across the country and even the world. Yet, gas prices have jumped over $.80 a gallon here.

This should be a greenie weenies dream in energy reduction. The more you think about everything this C-19 virus is a blessing for the left. Almost like it was the long game. Got rid of Trump, gave them control and benefits the left's green energy wing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’d rather 10,000 arrive. They’re not taking their politics with them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
There are many, many jobs that can be done by a cell phone and not much else about three days a week.

For some reason this annoys the stupid. Typically.

Some people think YOU annoy the stupid. Typically.

Smart folks believe in the 'flave.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (1minute, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.