Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
MM879 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I am doing some charity work on my daughter in laws F150. The vehicle is a 2018 with a 3.5L Eco boost a/t. The engine looks to be going well despite a long list of recalls. The recalls are optional if you have the problem. I would call them redesigns. The one that concerns me is the PVC oil consumption problem. They replace the valve covers and halve of the fuel delivery system to get to the valve covers.

The OEM tires are Hankook and they are total sheit. 30k and they are rough. The pull and ride terrible. These tires should never be specified for a new vehicle.

The brakes have been replaced on all four corners. It is a big accomplishment to have brakes worst that a Jeep Grand Cherokee!

The shocks are shot. The vehicle handles like a manatee in warm water.

The wheel security locks were different on each wheel! It needed four different socket keys! They were replaced with lug nuts. Standard lug nut small size torqued to 150# Something is wrong here. I've never seen a small lug nut torqued that high.

Summary:
This vehicle is serviceable, but it is going to be an expensive vehicle to own. I would take F150 off my buy list.

Last edited by MM879; 04/23/21.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sad story. I will tell you that my brother bought a new Nissan Frontier in 2016. A few months ago he took it in to our local mechanic for an oil change, he had 105,000 miles on the truck. He said "Look at the brakes it must need a brake job." Brother has never had any brake work done on this truck.
The mechanics told my brother that the brakes are fine and don't need work. I didn't know you could go that many miles without a brake job.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by MM879
I am doing some charity work on my daughter in laws F150. The vehicle is a 2018 with a 3.5L Eco boost a/t. The engine looks to be going well despite a long list of recalls. The recalls are optional if you have the problem. I would call them redesigns. The one that concerns me is the PVC oil consumption problem. They replace the valve covers and halve of the fuel delivery system to get to the valve covers.

The OEM tires are Hankook and they are total sheit. 30k and they are rough. The pull and ride terrible. These tires should never be specified for a new vehicle.

The brakes have been replaced on all four corners. It is a big accomplishment to have brakes worst that a Jeep Grand Cherokee!

The wheel security locks were different on each wheel! It needed four different socket keys! They were replaced with lug nuts. Standard lug nut small size torqued to 150# Something is wrong here. I've never seen a small lug nut torqued that high.

Summary:
This vehicle is serviceable, but it is going to be an expensive vehicle to own. I would take F150 off my buy list.

JFC...
Was it used a moon rover or something.

LOL!!!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a 2004 Tacoma 4x4 Extended Cab 5 Speed with 70K. Used mainly for H&F. Brakes are still fine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our 2018 has 40k+ and hasn't bobbled. Did have the windshield replaced under warranty because the safety glass had a flaw.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Sad story. I will tell you that my brother bought a new Nissan Frontier in 2016. A few months ago he took it in to our local mechanic for an oil change, he had 105,000 miles on the truck. He said "Look at the brakes it must need a brake job." Brother has never had any brake work done on this truck.
The mechanics told my brother that the brakes are fine and don't need work. I didn't know you could go that many miles without a brake job.

I have 150K miles on a 2006 Duramax and have never needed brakes. I don't pull heavy loads often other than firewood in the field stacked as high as I can get it in the bed. I'm at about 40% remaining on the pads.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have 55,000 miles on my 2017 F-150. It has the 5.0 engine. Overall gas mileage is 19 MPG. I'm still running the tires it came with, Goodyears, and they look to be good for at least another 10,000 miles or so. They have been rotated every 5-10,000 miles.

If the truck in the OP is in that bad of shape, I'd say it's not Ford's fault, but neglect from the owner.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My work truck is a 2016 F150 with the 5.0 v8. It has 125k on it. Oil changes, one set of tires, and a battery replacement are all that have been done to it. Still runs and drives like a new one.

If she needs brakes at 30k miles, somebody failed to teach her how to drive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Everybody goes on and on about how the Tundra is outdated, has been the same truck essentially since 2007. Needs new technology and luxuries. To heck with that, thats exactly why I bought a 2020 Tundra, because it has been in production essentially since 2007 and hasn't had a bunch of updates. Surely they got the bugs worked out of it by now.... 30k miles on it now and not a problem one (which I'd expect of any vehicle in 30k miles)

Originally Posted by devnull

I have 150K miles on a 2006 Duramax and have never needed brakes. I don't pull heavy loads often other than firewood in the field stacked as high as I can get it in the bed. I'm at about 40% remaining on the pads.

My 2006 F250 I bought with 40k miles, so I"m going to assume the brakes were original. I changed them last fall before heading out on an elk hunt, just because I felt like I needed to at 180,000 miles. There was still a ton of pad left. Primarily longer highway miles though.

M
MM879 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

Summary:

The vehicle is spotless. It sees grocery getting with a child seat in tow.

I suspect that the electronic parking brake took out the rear brakes. The wiring to a suspension member is not capable. It cannot handle the G loads and vibration.

The front brakes are still a mystery. The aftermarket pads feel like "aftermarket pads" This could be a failed mechanic/service writer overselling a female.

IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Summary:

The vehicle is spotless. It sees grocery getting with a child seat in tow.

I suspect that the electronic parking brake took out the rear brakes. The wiring to a suspension member is not capable. It cannot handle the G loads and vibration.

The front brakes are still a mystery. The aftermarket pads feel like "aftermarket pads" This could be a failed mechanic/service writer overselling a female.

Maybe the Ford caught the covid and needs the vax?

Ever think of that?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Depends on your driving habits maybe. Wife and I got 190,000 on the brakes on the Tundra, we live in mountainous terrain too. I got 156,000 on my Tacoma...prolly 30% left, but it is a manual, so I would estimate we'll get well over 200,000 out of it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought a 2015 F150 Lariat 5.0 with 55000 miles on it (4x4 this time) to replace my 2005 F150. Both are nice rides, but the 2015 is head and shoulders above the 05 in handling. I have absolutely NO complaints (other than the fact they sure as hell ain't built to work on) with F150s after having put 150,000 on the 2005, which came to me with 40000 on it already.

Some people just have a knack for ragging out vehicles in short order.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Hhhmmm, my 2011 F-150 w/5.0 V-8 has been flawless except for a glitch in the radio that would never show a fail when in for service.
It turned over 170,000 miles the other day.
One set of rear shocks
Two sets of front brakes, one set of rears.
Spark plugs at 150,000 miles
Battery three years ago
The Goodyear OEM’s lasted 55,000 miles
I got 96,000 from the Hankook Dynapro A-TM tires that replaced the garbage Goodyears that went square around 35,000.
Hankook discontinued the A-TM and replaced them with A-T2’s which are not as good.
Discount Tire bought the A-TM molds and is having Hankook make them as their store brand.
I put Load Range E on it this time.
My truck hauls a 6,000 lb travel trailer often and my 3,000 lb tractor on a car hauler trailer grossing at around 7,000 lbs.
Add in hauling logs often weighing above 5,000lbs.
It doesn’t get babied.
By far the best truck I have ever owned.

Your dil must drive like Mario Andretti to wear schitt out that quickly or the mechanics are doing the old fuuk the women caper.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 04/23/21.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
No truck is made like it used to be. Buddy had sunroof go out, 3 grand but luckily under warranty. Had a hawk fly into is side mirror, 800 for that

My new sierra has a rear window on order due to a leak already.

Last edited by killerv; 04/23/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by killerv
No truck is made like it used to be. Buddy had sunroof go out

Oh the irony.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Yeah but the nail polish holder still works...so...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Every single vehicle made is an absolute POS.

Read it here on the 'Fire.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
U
Hopped up engines never last and always require maintenance. That's why I bought the 5.0 and before they went to more advanced transmissions. Be real surprised if it doesn't go 250k. Getting over 19mpg with heavy duty rear end tow package. Zero problems.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Drove a 2011 pathfinder 151k miles on original brakes......tire guys kept insisting they were good to go.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

723 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 007FJ, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 2,999 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,486
Posts18,451,978
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.