Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just read that Thompson Center frames are made by Smith & Wesson. Has this always been the case or is this something new in the last few decades/years?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BP-B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
S&W owns T.C. and has for several years.

All This! And the circus too?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I didn't know S&W owned TC. Thanks.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
S&W bought T/C 12/18/2006.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A sad day indeed.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
It sure was!

T/C pre Greg Ritz was a magnificent company with a fantastic custom shop. The employees were fiercely proud of the product and the product support second to none. I don't know why SW purchased them only to gut the company. That barrel making story floating around is a hoax.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Another sad story about a great, small gun company bought out and ruined.( Marlin, H&R/NEF, etc.).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I was lucky to find this barrel after a long search. The custom shop produced some excellent barrels!

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a 17 Remington from the TC custom shop, it's a sweetly and shoots great.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How is MGM doing with their production times and quality?

I tried to buy a 28 guage Contender barrel from them for a present to a fellow Contender nut and was told that they 'won't be making shotguns for the foreseeable future." Hope that's not a bad sign--I have several of their barrels and have had great service from them. Their barrels just drop onto my two Rochester-made G2 frames and make little groups! And the .410 and 28 bbls. are great small game and quail killers. Pricey but deluxe!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mesa

I tried to buy a 28 guage Contender barrel from them for a present to a fellow Contender nut and was told that they 'won't be making shotguns for the foreseeable future." Hope that's not a bad sign--I have several of their barrels and have had great service from them. Their barrels just drop onto my two Rochester-made G2 frames and make little groups! And the .410 and 28 bbls. are great small game and quail killers. Pricey but deluxe!

MGM makes a great product , They have a four month backlog.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Another sad story about a great, small gun company bought out and ruined.( Marlin, H&R/NEF, etc.).

They have not ruined TC, they have simply focused more on bolt actions then single shots. I bought a recent pro hunter and it is beautifully made, same quality as one I bought 10 years ago.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Never cared for the Encore.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Sbrown

I was lucky to find this barrel after a long search. The custom shop produced some excellent barrels!

We don't know how good we had it when the custom shop was up and running.

Last edited by J71248; 04/19/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Mesa

MGM makes a great product , They have a four month backlog.

I have been very happy with my MGM barrels.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

They have not ruined TC, they have simply focused more on bolt actions then single shots. I bought a recent pro hunter and it is beautifully made, same quality as one I bought 10 years ago.

That's sort of like if Ford bought Honda, then stopped making cars and motorcycles and started selling golf carts. They didn't ruin Honda...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Sbrown

I have the same cartridge except in a stainless sporter weight. A joy to carry and very accurate.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by cas6969

That's sort of like if Ford bought Honda, then stopped making cars and motorcycles and started selling golf carts. They didn't ruin Honda...

They are still making them right? They could do what a lot of companies do and discontinue the lineup. Why use their custom shop when MGM makes better barrels?

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I just read an article this past week that said S&W plans to divest itself of the TC line to focus more on new S&W items. The said no buyer has been identified so there is an opportunity for someone to jump into the biz if you're feeling entrepreneurial.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by uncle joe
I just read an article this past week that said S&W plans to divest itself of the TC line to focus more on new S&W items. The said no buyer has been identified so there is an opportunity for someone to jump into the biz if you're feeling entrepreneurial.

and don’t mind fixing everything S&W futzed up.....

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
249 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,697 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.