Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Let me say at the outset that I'm not currently in any physical distress.

It's now 1440. I was eating a hamburger at 1415. I noticed something poking at me as I swallowed one of the first bites. It hung there for a bit. The second bite knocked whatever it was loose and it all went down. Shortly thereafter, Moose's girlfriend noticed a steel bristle on the plate on which the burgers had sat. Shortly after that, I found a 3/4 inch steel bristle in another bite and put it all together. Moose had used a steel brush to clean the grill before lighting the fire. We figure the brush shed a bit and a few bristles stuck around.

It's down in my stomach. I figure I've got about 3 hours from ingestion before it tries to pass out of the stomach. The question is what to do next.

The complication are as follows:

1) I'm 50 miles from the hospitals in downtown Cincinnati.
2) I'm supposed to be turkey hunting until Tuesday PM.
3) I'll be alone starting Sunday PM

My current plan is to leave things alone and see what happens. I did some quick reading on the Internet, and the big problem is if the booger gets stuck in the esophagus and gets out into the lung or heart. That is not a problem. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot (literally) until it decides to leave via the southern portal. I figure I'll be in the clear in 72 hours.

I'm loathe to pack up and run to town. I figure that the emergency room route is something that is best left as a last resort. I'm looking for ideas and experience. Besides being a good Methodist and praying a lot, what do you recommend?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Eat a few tablespoons of salt.
That schit will eat a truck up in no time.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That is an interesting problem. I worked as a paramedic for a long time but never encountered this.
It is possible that stomach acid will dissolve the thing. Don't know what to tell you.

Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't fret it, might even see a little blood when it passes.
Keep in mind, a little blood from a slight scratch goes a long ways when it comes to turning a bowl of water red, don't let it freak ya out.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
2 Liter bottle of Coke? If it doesn't dissolve it, it should come out shiny.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Buddy’s wife did the same thing, it got stuck in her liver, had to have surgery. Good luck

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Hopefully it wasn’t a SS brush! That may add some potential issues! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it made it through your esophagus chances are it will make it all the way through.

That said, you do have a problem. I don’t think I’d be alone for the next 2-3 days. Will you be in cell phone range? I’ve heard of people swallowing toothpicks, Bobby pins and needles. These are much longer than 3/4 of an inch. I’m betting you probably have an 80-90% chance of it passing through fine but it’s going to be your call on taking the risk.

Last edited by Toddly; 04/24/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just call the fughing doctor. I would rather get it taken care of (if necessary) before I had to get it taken care of.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could try sphincter putty (bread) to encapsulate it.
Or the hospital could probably stick a magnet down your throat to try and recover it.
Calling to ask would be the best bet since it will be in your upper or lower intestine by the time you get to the hospital.

industrial strength ex lax might speed its passage..

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 04/24/21.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A well known reason for E room visits during grilling season. Might be googleable for legit cures or suggestions.

And this might not need to said; but for future grilling, the grill brush needs to be long gone. Heavy scotch brite pad with a special handle now sold in the barbeque dept. at the WM now cleans my grate.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I’d fire that fugker from grilling ever again

JFC

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by gunzo
A well known reason for E room visits during grilling season. Might be googleable for legit cures or suggestions.

And this might not need to said; but for future grilling, the grill brush needs to be long gone. Heavy scotch brite pad with a special handle now sold in the barbeque dept. at the WM now cleans my grate.

I use some wadded up aluminum foil and a long set of BBQ tongs

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Get one of those magnets that they make for car mechanics. Save yourself some moolah

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, being a good Methodist boy seems to have worked so far. I put myself into the Lord's hands and laid down for a nap.

I'm up now. Angus just showed up. He burst through the door and said the neighbor's trailer was on fire, grabbed a shovel and took off. He's back now. The neighbor had lit a trash fire and then went and sat on the couch. It's still burning, but so far hasn't caught the trailer. It's raining, so I don't suspect it spreading too much. The neighbor didn't seem to mind; he's burned himself out once before. He knows what he's into, so. . . I'll pray for him as well.

I'm up. I'm happy and healthy. I do have a bit of a scratch in the back of my throat from the bristle going down, but that's it so far.

I figure if it starts to turn bad, I've got a working cellphone, a responsive 911 unit within 20 minutes, and I just found out a few weeks ago that the county pays for Air Care rides.

Film at 11. Bulletins as they happen. We return you now to our regularly scheduled program.

Thanks all for your concern.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Next time just have him put out some tufts of 000 steel wool for hor d'oeuvres?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few years ago for first time ever cooking, I used toothpicks to hold bacon around some jalapeno dove poppers. My wife realized she had eaten a piece of tooth pic that came apart leaving some wood in the popper. She swallowed it and it also scraped as it went down the esophagus. I talked with a shooting buddy who is an anesthesiologist. He said it will most likely pass.

The next day my wife complained that her stomach hurt. We went to emergency and the doctor poked her abdomen and determined that he had to operate the next day. After the procedure while my wife was in recovery, the doctor came out and showed me the tooth pic piece. It had lodged in the stomach wall close to the pyloric sphincter!

I sincerely hope your issue passes all the way through without issue.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shaman
Well, being a good Methodist boy seems to have worked so far. I put myself into the Lord's hands and laid down for a nap.

I'm up now. Angus just showed up. He burst through the door and said the neighbor's trailer was on fire, grabbed a shovel and took off. He's back now. The neighbor had lit a trash fire and then went and sat on the couch. It's still burning, but so far hasn't caught the trailer. It's raining, so I don't suspect it spreading too much. The neighbor didn't seem to mind; he's burned himself out once before. He knows what he's into, so. . . I'll pray for him as well.

I'm up. I'm happy and healthy. I do have a bit of a scratch in the back of my throat from the bristle going down, but that's it so far.

I figure if it starts to turn bad, I've got a working cellphone, a responsive 911 unit within 20 minutes, and I just found out a few weeks ago that the county pays for Air Care rides.

Film at 11. Bulletins as they happen. We return you now to our regularly scheduled program.

Thanks all for your concern.

I just saw a story a couple days ago about a woman that had a wire bristle in her throat. Same cause. She had to undergo emergency surgery. Dr. told her she came close to dying.

I'll see if I can find the story. It had pictures and everything.

I'd go make sure, Shaman.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This wasn't the one I saw, as it was more recent than the link herein, but it's about the same thing.

https://medicine.umich.edu/dept/otolaryngology/news/archive/201908/doctor-finds-grill-brush-lodged-woman%E2%80%99s-throat-months

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mother-...h-bristle-lodged-in-her-throat-1.3932829

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Shaman swallows a quarter.

See if he craps out two dimes and a nickle.

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.