Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Or, Three Texans and a Bostonian in South Florida headed offshore: what could possibly go wrong?

Answer: pretty much *everydamnthing*, but we still had plenty of fun and even managed to kill a few fish. I flew back into Boston last night to get back to work after 4 days of play/travel.

STX stayed on in Islamorada with the other two Texans for a few more days. Come Monday, he and his partner in crime will do the 1600 odd road miles and 24 hour shot back to Texas again, I think. Totally crazy call in my book, that. 48 hours on the road and money spent on fuel, tolls, food, crappy accommodations and more VS. a ~3.5 hour flight and done? A total no brainer for me, but as they say, 'you can tell a Texan, but you can't tell him much!' wink

Hope you boys are still hooking fish, causing trouble and still up to no good down there, Rog'. We'll be at it again soon enough. Say hey to the boys for me and safe travels, son.

BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tarpon ?

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Did stubbs make the trip or was he on the road?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Nothing like a road trip. I would rather drive than fly any day. Was fishing good?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
AS renegade says..............................

pics or it didn't happen.

But, I know you, they'll be up later.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the update.

Last we heard from Rog he was layin' beside the interstate in north Florida and that was days ago...

BTW, where are you flying into that's close to Islamorada?

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I've no idea what they've done since I bailed, but the only tarpon interactions I had were me snapping pics of the fish being hand-fed at the cleaning station at the one marina after we came in with fish. Those tarpon, some big--and a few nurse sharks-- sure enjoyed our fish guts and racks.

I have no idea where Stubbs is. Last I heard he was with R50 after a time with A+8s. I could've gotten some great shots if he was along, but Stubbs is on the road. I tend to travel light and I'm pretty sure the TSA folks wouldn't have had much of a sense of humor about Stubbs in my carry-on anyway. Hell, I had words with one TSA guy who said that he wasn't sure I could haul frozen fish in my carry on. He knows the rules now, though. F'in idiot that dude was.

Maybe if I was already retired I'd choose the road trip, but even then I kind of doubt it if my destination was only one area and not a long string of places. I want to spend my away from home time off enjoying, not worrying about long-distance driving and the associated headaches over a more than 3K mile run. Especially on a trip of only 3 nights. Second day after they made it to S. FL they were still gassed after their ride in, and both complaining of being stiff and sore from trying to sleep in the truck. I, on the other hand, was as fresh as a daisy right off the plane... wink In the time it took them to drive *one way* from TX to FL I could've flown RT Boston/Tokyo. But whatever; different strokes for different folks and all that.

As far as fish, we got into some great specimens and I was pleased to knock 3 more flavors off the life list, but it was slow and our main target eluded us completely. The boys kicked off the fishing with a guided outing for peacock bass before I arrived. The story related to me was dead hilarious, but I wasn't there. STX can tell the tale when he gets back home on Tuesday. Or Wednesday. Or whenever.... Traffic, weather, fatigue, random LE searches, vehicle issues? For this kind of trip? Uh, thanks but no thanks.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 04/24/21.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JeffA

BTW, where are you flying into that's close to Islamorada?

Miami. A bit over an hour ride.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
P.S. Roger forgot his laptop at home (among a pile of other things ha, ha) so likely won't be posting until he gets back to Corpus. It was funny watching him suffering from terrible bouts of withdrawals as he swore at the tiny 24HCFscreen on his phone.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Quote.......you can tell a Texan, but you can't tell him much!'

He’s not the one living in Boston! 😂 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Done a number of those road trips, used to enjoy it.
Now, it's like you say. Still do it instead of flying, but it hurts.

Used to come up your way to cod fish.
Up at 4, fish all the last day, and drive home .
Sun up till we got home.
Dumb and dangerous.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been enjoying his pics on FB. Those peacock bass are really cool looking fish. Even though the swords didn't cooperate, I hope you guys had a good time.

As far as the road trip thing - If time and conditions allow, I'd welcome a long drive with good company. 1,600 miles of re-fueling stops, bad food, and sunrises and sunsets viewed from the road would fit right in amongst some of the crazy stuff my fishing buddy and I have gotten ourselves into. Stuff like fishing Lake Michigan steelhead from shore and having to wade through 30-40 feet of wave tossed, thigh bruising late winter ice chunks when wading out to cast or when fighting a fish has us laughing and shaking our heads when we look back and recount our experiences.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Of course, I’m just a youngster.....so the road trips are a bit easier for me! 😂 This was done during the first 2 weeks of this month!

5050 miles in 9 travel days!
Though technically, more like 8 travel days......as a truck electrical issue kept us at only 100 miles (+/-) for one day. This was towing a 40 ft., 20K 5th wheel! The entire outing was 13 days, with the off-days (rest days)....traveling solo (no camper) while visiting relatives and attending baseball games!

I’m not going into details, but, this was a lot more miles than we were supposed to travel.....and certainly in a shorter time frame. I’ll save the details for a chapter in my book “Life’s Challenges”! 🤪 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/24/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I hope you guys had a good time.

FL is the 7th state Roger and I have now hunted/fished or fooled around in together. Our backgrounds couldn't be any more different, but we've proven that has absolutely nothing to do with friendship. We always have a blast together. Always. For 2021 we already have two more trips planned. If he ever gets his act together and gets his 1st passport I'll have his south Texan eyes *really* opened up. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I hope you guys had a good time.

FL is the 7th state Roger and I have now hunted/fished or fooled around in together. Our backgrounds couldn't be any more different, but we've proven that has absolutely nothing to do with friendship. We always have a blast together. Always. For 2021 we already have two more trips planned. If he ever gets his act together and gets his 1st passport I'll have his south Texan eyes *really* opened up. wink

He needs a kick in the seat to get that passport! There's no way I'd let a pp stand in the way of some top notch guided adventure. I think I appreciate adventure even more now than I did as a young man.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
100%. And not just guided adventures. A week abroad in, say, Japan with someone who knew what they were doing and he'd never look at the world the same way ever again.

Just got off the phone with him. They spent the day fooling around in Marathon after sleeping in. No fish were injured. *Still* tired after that long ass drive up from TX... But oh, the adventure of the old road trip!

wink

Last edited by kamo_gari; 04/24/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Driving from Islamorada to Marathon and back with weekend traffic sucks in itself. They are gluttons for punishment.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JeffA
Driving from Islamorada to Marathon and back with weekend traffic sucks in itself. They are gluttons for punishment.

I know, and tried to explain that to the man. More than once. I do realize that he's not alone though and assume majority rules apply. I'm no expert on the area but I've seen that movie, having been down there a few times. Hell, I even honeymooned in the Keys 17 years ago. But try to tell a Texan something and, well, you know how that goes...Poor old Rog'. I asked him earlier how they did with the fish today. He said he cleaned the house while the other two slept in until 11 and then went out into traffic. Never got to fish. Maybe later. Still tired from the ride up from TX, I guess.

'What I Did On My Big Fishing Trip to the Keys: The Complete Guide to the Best Choices in Vacuum Cleaners, Brooms and Pot Scrubbers!

wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
lol I'm having a good time, first hangover in yrs.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to hear that Roger!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 72 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.