Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Dinking on airgun nation and some guy recommends waxing rifle bores with carnuba wax. He said the military armorers would wax the bores of rifles during the gulf war . Says leads to better accuracy and less buildup of dust in desert warfare. With airguns I could see waxing but powder burners introduce lots of heat. What say you?

Naturally the guy was a sniper, then everyone claims so on the internet.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A cap on the muzzle prevents dust buildup in the bore.

I wax my truck and drive on dirt roads, dust still sticks.

Guy knows not what he speaks of.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I know a 22 bullet is waxed and always shot 10 or 12 rds when I would switch ammo if I was gonna shoot a match

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Anybody ever wax their legs?

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
just add to the fouling! in the bore not the legs. never waxed my legs Roy but i did crush a little bottle of super glue in my pocket once. eek

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by sidepass
Dinking on airgun nation and some guy recommends waxing rifle bores with carnuba wax. He said the military armorers would wax the bores of rifles during the gulf war . Says leads to better accuracy and less buildup of dust in desert warfare. With airguns I could see waxing but powder burners introduce lots of heat. What say you?

Naturally the guy was a sniper, then everyone claims so on the internet.

I say the guy is full of s hit.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Anybody ever wax their legs?

Only in Oregon...
grin Would a guy ask this question. Damn...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have done it for corrosion protection, if it is really wet tape won't keep everything dry. All benefits are gone with the first shot, I have not noticed a change of impact from a clean bore waxed or no wax. A light oil like essox, corrosion-X or Hornaday One does the same thing and probably better corrosion resistance. For really wet conditions I will do both.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Airgun is shooting a projectile a little over 1k fps that is propelled by air, Contrast that with a cartridge that is burning a combustible sooty powder . Then you have the matter of bullet fouling from the increased velocity. v

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have used Lee case size lube on paper patch bullets for years. You can feel the smooth wax coating with a tight patch. The patch glides through the bore. Cleaning the bore is easy.
I have experienced no down side to a wax coating in the bore.
I wrote to Lee about this and they said they would look at it.
Ed Harris has been lubing cast bullets with thined Lee case lube for years.
It is a die makers wax and very useful

Slim
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have waxed the under side of full stocked muzzleloader barrels to keep them from rusting but never the bore.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I use renaissance wax on the exteriors of some fine shotguns and rifles . Never would the bore and yes some hard cast projectiles are waxed but not the same.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I said scary accurate, not hairy accurate. Damnit!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have never heard of anyone waxing a firearm bore.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
There is a modest amount of writing from the 1920’s up through the 1950’s about the use of wax and grease as a bullet lubricant.
The British used a variety of means to lubricate bullets whether swaged, cast or jacketed.
In the U.S. there were a few patents taken out on lubricating paper patched and jacketed bullets.
Here is a little bit from C.S. Landis in Woodchucks and Woodchuck Rifles – 1951.
Wads under jacketed bullets and lubricants on jacketed bullets were falling out of favor by this time.
There is a great deal of discussion on wads and bullet lubricants in the 1920’s Arms and The Man. In general Whelen and other Arsenal types were against it and Competitive shooters and some hunters – Stewart Edward White – were in favor of it.

Someone said that lead bullets are different story and perhaps they are. A great deal was written about wax lubricants on lead bullets. The US Cartridge Company putting out a circular on the advantage of waxed bullets in their NRA .22lr ammunition.
Jack O’Connor mentions protecting the bore of rimfire rifles on page 167 of the Rifle Book.on page 167.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by william_iorg; 04/24/21.

Slim
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've thought about that dry teflon lube.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don’t wax the inside of the barrel, but after cleaning the barrel I use either Flitz or Mother’s on the inside of the barrel, the use patches to remove and finish with a patch of oil. Not sure if it helps or hurts. It does appear shiny.

I did coat a cz pistol with ms moly years ago. It started jamming. I sent it off to CZ and when it was returned they noted it was the dirtiest pistol they had ever seen. At that time moly was advertised as a miracle dry lube. No so.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Maybe he actually said that he waxed the inside of his "forearms" and not "firearms"

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe he actually said that he waxed the inside of his "forearms" and not "firearms"

That too would be odd for the most part. He mentioned barrel and wax filling in pores and smoothing out the barrel. Wax in pores would be burnt away right away . Odd I tell ya just odd. Many of us have waxed the inside of stocks for moisture protection. Oh well different chit for different chitheads I guess.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My first thought on this was that any wax in the bore would be burnt out with the first shot from a centrefire, which would more or less leave you in about the same situation as you'd be in after firing the first shot when using tape over the muzzle. I was briefly intrigued by the idea though. Then I read that comment about "filling in pores" in the barrel steel and that was the end of it. Porosity is just not an issue with barrel steel. The process of forging a barrel makes sure of that. Anyone claiming that this (or breaking in procedures) somehow fills in the non-existent pores immediately marks themself as full of it.

I do use wax on the exterior of my rifles for protection against the elements. I don't wax the bore, and I think I'll continue to use a bit of electrical tape over the muzzle. A couple of extra wraps around the barrel gives a bit spare to re-cover it after a shot. I've been doing this for many years, and it works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 78 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.