Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Wasn't sure where to ask this. So how many have their reloading room in an outbuilding?
I have one friend who does because he can go out to the basement of his garage and smoke his cigars,
do woodwork, reload, whatever he wants without the wife complaining.
We should be moving into a place where if I want a Den I will have to build a room in the basement. Not a problem however.
Out in the garage there is also a very nice woodshop that my wife suggests I make my Den. Problem is keeping it heated in the winter.
Right now it is just heated with a heater when being used. I don't want to heat it all winter to keep a stable temp.
My question is will it hurt the powder and digital dispensing equipment to be cold except when I fire the heater up when I plan to be out there for the day?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Powder fares better in a stable temp environment with moderate humidity.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I had my stuff in a garage while I lived in Houston for a while. Big mistake.
Now I’m in a drier environment with no problems. I do keep powders, primers and bullets inside when they aren’t being used.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I think you’d have to control the temp and humidity year round. That could get pretty expensive in an outbuilding. I’ve considered the same thing but still use the basement. The temp is no issue that way, but I do run a dehumidifier from May until Nov here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When our kids came along my reloading setup was banished to a small, 2 story barn I had built. I keep everything in an insulated 12x16 room out there and use an electric heater to make sure that the temp never drops below around 45F.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I may be looking at this soon myself. I think humidity is a greater factor than temp but that’s just a theory. If I can’t have a full room in our new house like I’ve always had them I intend to have a climate controlled outbuilding. If I’m fortunate enough to have the shop I want I will build a separate room in one of the corners roughly 14x14 and have it well insulated and wired for 110/220. I intend to install a window unit with heat and air that will run continuously. At that size I can have all my reloading supplies with my big bench, my big tool box with the better tools, plus a couch, pub table and chairs, fridge, and an attached bathroom. Shop I want built out $50k. Big Portable building built out $10-12k

Way more info than you ask for but I’ve put a good bit of thought in this lately. I think more than anything I’m used to having “my space”.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I run a window unit all summer in my building. It's small and insulated well, the costs are not bad. Electric and a propane wall heater for the cold.

Don't think cold is too much of a problem but heat and humidity long term may be.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I keep my powder in my clothes closet in the house. The powders in use stay in my shop....Just one pound of my most used powders out there and that’s it. No 8# kegs & such out there.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Keep all my powder and primers in an old refrigerator I wired a single 60 watt regular bulb in to that stays on 24/7. Never had a problem. Bullets are up in the freezer area.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jacobite5
Wasn't sure where to ask this. So how many have their reloading room in an outbuilding?
I have one friend who does because he can go out to the basement of his garage and smoke his cigars,
do woodwork, reload, whatever he wants without the wife complaining.
We should be moving into a place where if I want a Den I will have to build a room in the basement. Not a problem however.
Out in the garage there is also a very nice woodshop that my wife suggests I make my Den. Problem is keeping it heated in the winter.
Right now it is just heated with a heater when being used. I don't want to heat it all winter to keep a stable temp.
My question is will it hurt the powder and digital dispensing equipment to be cold except when I fire the heater up when I plan to be out there for the day?
An outbuilding wouldn't be bad. I've pondered it. Maybe one of them little fake barns from Home Depot. If I wanted to smoke ceegars whilst reloading, I'd certainly do it, so when I blew myself up, my family didn't go with me.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It should not cost that much to keep it stable year round.

I have an air conditioner and a heater and try to keep it around 70-75.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Humidity ain't your friend.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by plainsman456
It should not cost that much to keep it stable year round.

I have an air conditioner and a heater and try to keep it around 70-75.
How much do you think it costs you to heat and cool...stand alone?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The problem will be humidity on the equipment. Things will rust and mildew. Wipe metal down. Keep primers in the house.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Keep all my powder and primers in an old refrigerator I wired a single 60 watt regular bulb in to that stays on 24/7. Never had a problem. Bullets are up in the freezer area.

Good Lord, man....Where do you keep your beer?

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Keep primers in the house.

This is good advice for poor people who can't build.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had mine in a concrete floor, block wall 30x30 building.

Humidity, condensation, mouse turds, mildew, mold on boxes. Stray cat got in there knocked stuff off shelves and tables.

Tried running dehumidifier, non stop problems.

Spare bedroom now, climate controlled.

Woman don’t give me no back talk, I’ll cut her off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I loaded out of a non heated...or cooled shop for 5 years. Our temps were -20* to 105*......never rusted a gun nor had issues. No nothing but ambient air.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I built my reloading room in a corner of my 30x36 pole barn. It measures 6x12, which sounds awfully small, but it easily accommodates a Dillon XL-650, an RCBS Rockchucker, lots of shelves and a cabinet, and all of the accessories I need. It's well insulated and I built an air conditioner into the wall and have an electric space heater inside. I am very satisfied with this setup.I live in a small cabin in the woods of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, where the weather and humidity vary enormously.

I keep my powder, primers, ammo and other stuff in another outbuilding on the property. Most of it is stored in airtight containers. Despite the wide range of conditions, I am still using WWII surplus H-4831 and H-4895. The stuff is still fresh and crisp, and I have never had a primer go bad, even though some of my stash is 30 years old. I think a good container is more important than climate control. After all, the powder and primers in military ammo stored in the desert seems to last an awfully long time.

I don't have a basement or a large home, so my options were limited. This setup works wonderfully for me.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 04/24/21.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I had a lot of opened jugs of powder and primers stored in the open in my unheated and uncooled garage for at least 15 years. No degradation that I can tell.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

311 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 32 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,626
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.