-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just store and use it all in a bedroom closet. Handy access.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
The refrigerator idea is a great one.

For a few years when my kids were young and money was very tight, I did no shooting and no reloading. For those few years, because space for five in a 10x50 mobile home was tighter than the money, all of my dies and an RCBS Junior press were stored in an outbuilding in a steel drum with a rubber gasketed lid.

I thought the equipment would be safe stored in that manner. But after a few years, when I opened the drum, all of the dies were rusted as well as the unpainted surfaces of the press.

Beware storage of such items in conditions with fluctuating temps, as they will draw moisture.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I keep my powder in my clothes closet in the house. The powders in use stay in my shop....Just one pound of my most used powders out there and that’s it. No 8# kegs & such out there.

I am seriously considering cutting into the cement floor of my shed and forming a cement box in the ground, then getting an old heavy fridge door and bolting the hinges on the top so I can lock it down and seal the whole thing.

I am a bit leery of it as the cement floor is some eight inches thick...apparently cement must have been free for whoever built the shed.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I keep my powder in my clothes closet in the house. The powders in use stay in my shop....Just one pound of my most used powders out there and that’s it. No 8# kegs & such out there.

I am seriously considering cutting into the cement floor of my shed and forming a cement box in the ground, then getting an old heavy fridge door and bolting the hinges on the top so I can lock it down and seal the whole thing.

I am a bit leery of it as the cement floor is some eight inches thick...apparently cement must have been free for whoever built the shed.

It will draw moisture unless heated and ventilated.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

It will draw moisture unless heated and ventilated.

Moisture isn't so much an issue here, heat is.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Powder fares better in a stable temp environment with moderate humidity.

Do you store your powder in an open bucket or something?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you use a propane heater, make sure it's vented. The ventless type will keep the humidity way too high for powder storage.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by high_country_
I loaded out of a non heated...or cooled shop for 5 years. Our temps were -20* to 105*......never rusted a gun nor had issues. No nothing but ambient air.

Average dew point where you live is probably a good bit different. Of course, I didn't see where OP stated his location. He could be somewhere it wouldn't be a problem. Where I am you would have mildew and rust.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
maybe keep your powder and primers in the house and only take out what you are using that session?

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Had mine in a concrete floor, block wall 30x30 building.

Humidity, condensation, mouse turds, mildew, mold on boxes. Stray cat got in there knocked stuff off shelves and tables.

Tried running dehumidifier, non stop problems.

Spare bedroom now, climate controlled.

Woman don’t give me no back talk, I’ll cut her off.

This is what I'd do if we had the spare room. Did it about 3 houses back. Wife #1 actually supported building a gun/reloading room when we built the house.
Lost that due to a very bad pick in wife #2 the evil one.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a 24'x30' outbuilding w/10' side-walls. 2x6 construction and well insulated. Averages $80/Mo to keep it mid-50's in the winter and 72-74 in the summer, all electric heat. There's no water/plumbing in the building so between electric heat and AC, the humidity stays very low. I have 0 rust issues.

The bill can get a little ugly in Jan/Feb but it evens out Mar-June and Sept-Nov when neither the heat nor the AC run much at all.

I've got 40yr old primers that still light stuff consistently and am drawing out of an 8# keg of WW760 that's one of the foil-lined cardboard cylinders again w/no ill effects.

This was all prompted by looking @ dad's neighbor's shop when it burned down 12yrs ago. I know where he kept his reloading components in the shop and there was absolutely NOTHING left of that corner of the building, NOTHING for roughly an 8' semi-circle. At the time, in my own home, my reloading stuff was in my office/spare bedroom. My loading/component storage bench was directly under my newborn daughter's crib. My new building was up and my loading moved outside by the end of that summer.

The house I grew up in dad's "reloading room" was the unfinished utility room with the nat'l gas furnace and gas water heater. At any given time there was 20#-40# of smokeless powder in that room along with a fair amount of loaded ammo. Never a problem. Dad's neighbor's shop that burned down had nothing to do with any reloading components, he had a piece of slag jump and burn through an oxygen/acetylene line. Big boom, lots of fire, he was lucky to survive it. I don't generally worry about reloading components burning up, but, more the "What if they did?"

My shop is a nice escape from TV and the computer. It's a fun place to bring the kids out and get away from that stuff as well. My kids love drilling holes in scrap wood chunks just to drill holes. Same for using an impact driver to sink screws into them. I love the fact that my 8 and 12 yr olds can determine what bit they need for a given fastener and then swap bits in the impact driver to make it functional. They think that an air-blower on the end of the compressor line is great fun as well. When they're done it's a simple sweep and shop-vac cleanup then put the tools away. Nothing there to steal their attention beyond learning life-skills.

Last edited by horse1; 04/25/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I load out in my workshop, keep all my reloading tools and supplies in metal office cabinets on wheels. I don’t reload that much, will set it up load what I need, put it back up. I need to load 358’s, 338 Fed, and 284’s now. I’m sure I’ll put it off until I’m in a bind.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by CCCC
I just store and use it all in a bedroom closet. Handy access.

Same here Paul.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I keep all my powder,primers,ammo in a gutted out refrigerator in an out building.No heat.Heat and humidity is the culprit,not cold.I have a small closet type space in the basement that my gun safe and reloading table is in. I reload,I get the components I need out of the refrigerator then reload there.

I can't figure out why people don't use their garage as garage for their vehicle.They want to protect maybe $5000 worth of junk at the most and leave a$35,000 vehicle out in the weather. Twice in past in my young and stupid years when O rented homes, I did the reloading thing in a cold garage .The heck with that.

Build a 12x15 out building with a small space heater that looks like a Tuff Shed and use that.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’ve lived on the Texas coast for many years, kept my powder in a garage, both insulated and uninsulated. It gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Never had a primer or powder issue.

Will do just fine in an out building as long as it’s dry and in a closed cabinet.

People still have drums of surplus powder that have survived many many years of hot and cold. Just got to keep,it dry.

Last edited by GringoCazador; 04/25/21.

Thanks, Billy
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I own my own home , I bought it and paid for it twice. The first time with my wife and the 2nd time buying my wife out of her "half". That taught me at a minimum of 3 things 1. No one ever needs to be married more than once. 2. I have my reloading gear and stuff wherever I [bleep] want it not where someone else tells me what to do with it. 3. you really are better off if you just piss thru that thing. You asked I have spoken
Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks for so much input guys. At this point I am still leaning at building the room in the house.
I think the outbuilding is more suited for other things. None of the shop tools have rusted out in the woodshop so I feel it would be okay but I want to be in the house.
Lots of good ideas if I do use the shop though.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I built an 8' x 8' reloading room in a corner of my 30' x 40' shop. It also houses my gun safe. The only heat I use is a golden rod in the safe. Everything else is stored at ambient temperature and humidity is usually low here. I use a small space heater to warm the room when loading when it's cold.
Been doing this for 25 years, and if there are issues I am not aware of them, and will continue on.
Everything goes BANG! and shoots quite well.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Good subject, we just sold our home and are downsizing. I will no longer have the 3rd bedroom to be my reloading / hunting closet.

Was thinking of an shop / out building that will be insulated and climate controlled but have not decided on how big....

Ted
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Once my kids started moving out I moved in to the smallest bedroom. I added shelves in the closet and moved my bench in. My garage is used up with 2 dirt bikes, my safe, a big rollaway and cabs that hold all the ancillary stuff for hunting, shooting and dirt bikes. It was just to damn hot out in the garage to do anything when we have our heat waves in SoCal.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,856 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.