24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good thread - and this probably is superfluous - because i have been spoiled by being located in the very dry SW for most of my adult life. And, even early on (1964) when my stuff was in a carport closet in a place with 120 degree highs on some summer days, nothing ever spoiled. I am still shooting some 4831 from those days. Keeping it dry is the biggest issue. For those thinking of concrete structure, it takes a LONG time for that stuff to fully dry, and even old concrete seems to take on moisture if exposed.

Maybe it's just old guy caution rising, but I would not want to store these things - particularly guns/scopes/ammo - in a shed or workshop much away from the house. To do so is probably just fine in some remote and/or very secure neighborhoods - but these are not good times. For example, down here we have a flood of illegals roaming north.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
BP-B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Houston, I have problem..... smile. Just kidding.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When/if I get my reloading set up again, it will be in my garage, with slab heat and a dehumidifier. Everything is out there now in storage, anyway.

Temps range from about 53 to 60 in winter, ( I keep the thermostat turned all the way down) the commercial grade dehumidifier is set at 70%, the powder is in sealed containers. No air condtiuoning, so in warm weather (such as it is here), inside temps might get a bit higher, but not much.

With some variance - I just turned both the boiler and de-humidifier off for the summer season - the temp won't vary much, tho the humidity will pretty much follow ambient.

Last edited by las; 04/25/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When we moved to Tucson, the house we bought had a small shed in the back yard so that became my reloading area. We had a much larger shed built to store a couple of refrigerators and a large chest type freezer. One day my wife got all fussed and bothered about the powder I ha in one closet So one of the refrigerators got recruited for storage. I had to turn it on as it gets hotter'n hell out in that shed. Temp can get up to 120 degrees on a really hot day inside that shed. The smaller shed does have an A/C unit but I try to not use it as it raises hell with the electric bill.
FWIW, I found two cans of 4350 and four 100 primer packets that had got stuck behind some stuff a long time ago. Well, the powder was a total loss, but the primers were another story. I have no idea how many years they were stuck on the back of that shelf but the design on the primer packs were from the 1970's and it was about 1995 when I found them. Those primers are still good and I've used them for some very stiff loads in my .44 mag. Makes me think primers can hold up fairly well even under poor storage conditions. That shed gets hot in the summer, has high humidity during our rainy seasons, one in summer and one in winter. It can also freeze at times although periods of freezing here don't last long.
As it is usually quite dry here, I have not had a problem pulling powder from the fridge and transferring it to the powder measure with moisture forming in the powder. Might be a problem in areas with high humidity though. Our normal temp spread for a 24 hour period runs close to 30 degrees. In the summer 100*+ for a high and 70* + or- for a morning low. Naturally, YMMV.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Mine is in a small room added on the back of the house. I have a 110 window unit I run in the summer when I am home. Use a little electric heater in the winter if I do any work in there. I haven't had any problem with my tools rusting. I do wipe my dies with an oiled cloth before I put them back in the boxes. I insulated it well when I finished the inside and it has a slab floor it is never hot like the outside temp or as cold.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rust might become an issue with humidity and condensation.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had some really tight spaces available to me for reloading, like a broom/entry closet, 2x3 feet with a 28 door. But clever design can make that super effective AND keep your components in good condition because you're inside the living area and not subject to extremes. I just stacked everything vertically in "built" units, laid it out so all I had to do was open the closet door and set up a barstool halfway inside the doorway. Turned out pretty well, all I had to do was put the stool back, close the door and out of sight, out of mind. No place for clutter, either.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Well in my case I am in SW PA. The outbuilding has been a woodworking shop and none of the tools have ever rusted so humidity is not a huge issue.
Space in the house is not an issue either as I figure I can take and build about a 15x12 foot room in the basement and never miss the space.
Basement is not totally underground so it is not a damp dungeon. The front is actually ground level. I also have the means to make my own siding
to finish the walls and make it a very nice den. The whole 30x50 foot basement will be my domain so I don't have to make the mrs. happy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine was the old farm smokehouse. I insulated it, added metal siding, sealed it as tightly as possible. Primers are stored in metal ammo cans, or in one of my gun safes. Powder is stored the same way, some in an old zinc lined icebox, some in a large ammo can, and the rest in a gun safe. Some of my powder and primers are 20 years old. I don't worry about temperature extremes and humidity as much as some of you do. I've never had powder go bad, or primers that didn't pop.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Powder fares better in a stable temp environment with moderate humidity.

Unobtanium primers too.

I think she is playing you.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Can't really say.

The meter that my shop runs off of also has the large barn and an irrigation well on it.

The bill when the well has not been run is only about 100.00.

I put a mini split in the shop that is made out of bolted tank steel and has 5-6 inches of spray in foam between the outer wall and the inner.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Keep all my powder and primers in an old refrigerator I wired a single 60 watt regular bulb in to that stays on 24/7. Never had a problem. Bullets are up in the freezer area.

Good Lord, man....Where do you keep your beer?

🦫

In the newer, bigger fridge I had to buy after I explained to the warden that the old one "broke"....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Keep a basic locker indoors climate controlled with powder & primers. If you can have your bench under the same conditions so much the better. I personally do not wish to load with sweat running down my elbows in the summertime and condensation creeping into everything in winter. One must sometimes do as required but the best way possible is always better. If primer and powder requires separate climatic storage only remove what is to be used in a single loading session. Replace in climate controlled conditions ASAP. JMHO

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

It will draw moisture unless heated and ventilated.

Moisture isn't so much an issue here, heat is.

We also live in a desert. Moisture becomes an issue with changes in temperature causing condensation.

Do you NEVER see dew on metal or glass surfaces in the morning before sunrise?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

It will draw moisture unless heated and ventilated.

Moisture isn't so much an issue here, heat is.

We also live in a desert. Moisture becomes an issue with changes in temperature causing condensation.

Do you NEVER see dew on metal or glass surfaces in the morning before sunrise?

Not in my shed.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
158 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.